Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

90 Pandaren Hunter
I'm looking to add a 2nd 7970 to my system. Do both cards need to be made by the same brand? Or, can they be different?

And, are there still problems with cross fire with the 7970?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Doesn't require to be same brand, but needs to be set to same clock, or both cards will run at the speed of the slower card.

No, the problem is alleviated more or less through latest beta version of RadeonPro, but individual games may not be fully compatible.
90 Pandaren Hunter
Doesn't require to be same brand, but needs to be set to same clock, or both cards will run at the speed of the slower card.

No, the problem is alleviated more or less through latest beta version of RadeonPro, but individual games may not be fully compatible.

Would it work with WoW?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
WoW doesn't really make good use of either SLi or CrossFireX, but it will work.
90 Pandaren Hunter
11/17/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Kalganized
WoW doesn't really make good use of either SLi or CrossFireX, but it will work.

Ok... so it will work. Will it make any difference? Will the game run better in other words?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
A bit, but not as much as you'd expect from a $400 investment
I looked over your guide and put together a candidate for what I might get. Will mostly use for WoW/some GW2, and D3/RTS.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ocWn

Pretty much everything came from your guide, so I'm assuming they'll work alright together, unless I chose a part that I misread.

As far as pricing, is around now a good time to buy? The laptop I have now is doing alright, so I can wait a bit if prices should get better before the end of the year. Also, I don't know if I can do the 'trick' to get 8 cheap, as I bought my current laptop around 2 and a half years ago (7 64-bit). Is Windows 8 professional worth the cost difference?

As a sidenote, I've had an aversion to 8 since I've seen videos of it......but if it really is faster, I guess I can put up with something that looks dumbed down for the facebook game crowd (no offense to anyone I hope).
100 Night Elf Druid
Should wait until thursday night/friday morning and hope you can snag some deals. Though that SSD is priced really high for how much gb it has. Would also grab another PSU. 700 is really overkill for 1gpu setup.

After Black Friday comes Cyber Monday.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Rhoane:

The common complaint about Windows 8 is easily dodged by using Classic Shell or Start8. With UI problem out of the way, only remaining complaint is possible compatibility issues, but all major programs and games will work just perfectly.

You can do the price trick right now I believe. Even if not, you can still get it for lot cheaper than a full version.

Jeyded: 840 Pro is expensive because it's the absolute, top performing consumer SSD right now. Also, you get a free voucher for Assassin's Creed 3 with it currently, that's like $50 value.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Earlier this morning my GPU/PSU took a dump on me. My system is approximately 3 years old, so its about time for a new one, and I feel that building my own with your recommendations is the way to go.

After reading your entire guide, Build #2 (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nrGC) really caught my eye. WoW is the only game I play. I prefer to play on the higher graphic settings. My old rig began struggling with 25-man raids with the release of MoP. Not unplayable conditions, but unenjoyable for me. My main concern is whether or not Build #2 is overkill for my situation, or appropriate.

I plan on adding an SSD to your recommended setup, while utilizing my existing hard drive and DVD drive.

If you had to speculate, would waiting for this weekends sales be a good idea to see if I can get a good deal on any of these items? While not guaranteed, saving money is always a good thing.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The Build 2 is perfect for playing WoW, and is certainly not an overkill.

I cannot guarantee whether Black Friday / Cyber Monday will have deals on the parts I specifically recommended, but similar parts may be offered at a discount. You can ask me again if a certain part you are looking at is a high quality part.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you for your quick response and for the individualized attention you give to those that come here seeking help. Very professional
Thanks for the advice. I do agree that 700W is overkill for a single card, but this leaves me room to get a 2nd card if I wanted to eventually.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Hey Kal, I was wondering what your opinion is on this PC: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermaltake-ARMOR-Custom-Gaming-Desktop-Intel-Core-i5-NVIDIA-660Ti-OCZ-128GB-SSD-/261130930139?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3ccc9dc7db. I'm considering building my own, but if this is a steal then I would get it. I know it only has an SSD but I would only have Windows and WOW on the computer. I use my laptop for everything else. I would also probably switch out the RAM for DDR3 1600 unless it's not necessary.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
For $600, it's a steal. GTX 660 Ti alone is $300 new -- and there's no way you can fit an 128GB SSD + i5 + everything else within $300 remaining price.

BTW, don't bother with switching RAM.
Edited by Kalganized on 11/19/2012 2:43 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Mage
Alright, I figured it would be. How well would it run WoW at ultra (shadows low of course) 1920x1080?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Going to run WoW excellent. No questions asked.

Note that Agility 4 will not run at maximum speed due to motherboard's lack of SATA III port.
Edited by Kalganized on 11/19/2012 2:43 PM PST
100 Human Paladin
I am looking at a new desktop, the current machine I see on tigerdirect has the Radeon HD 7770. I noticed in your GPU section the 7770 says 'GHz edition'. It does not say on the specs if it is. Does it matter? Are they all GHz?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If it's core clock is listed as 1 GHz, it's the GHz edition more or less. If it doesn't even tell you the clock, take the model name and google it.
100 Human Rogue
Kal small question, I know that the 7950 will always be recommended over the 660ti but would you recommend it (660ti) if it has 2 game voucher that are worth $50 each?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]