Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

90 Night Elf Mage
I have been, but none are modular that are as cheap as the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W power supply, just needing to now should I buy the PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W power supply(currently $70) or the SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 500W power supply that is only $90 right now?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Stick to MK III 500W. You don't need Gold cert
28 Pandaren Monk
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27804168

How is this? I want to know if there is any bottle necking or whatever... And on what settings would it run WoW (60 + FPS in most places)?
28 Pandaren Monk
Oh, and also, if you know of any parts that work just as well as those listed (or work a little less effectively), but are also cheaper, please let me know. But they MUST be compatible with the build.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would not buy everything from NewEgg right now. Check my Black Friday deals topic -- you can save oodles of money doing so.

Use pcpartpicker.com too, while you are at it.
90 Night Elf Mage
Could a PCI Express 3.0 graphics card work in a PCI Express 2.0 slot?
87 Night Elf Death Knight
11/26/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Bobdapyro
Could a PCI Express 3.0 graphics card work in a PCI Express 2.0 slot?

yes. if you are using an AMD processor, they won't take advantage of PCI-Express 3.0 anyway, so the card will automatically drop itself down to 2.0. it will do the same thing if the motherboard doesn't have 3.0, the card will just drop itself down and use 2.0 speeds to talk to the cpu.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also, PCI-E 3.0 is not necessary for current graphics cards -- they won't max out 2.0's 16x bandwidth short of getting HD 7970 X2/HD 7990 or GTX 690
90 Night Elf Mage
What would you say the best graphics card for playing just WoW on ultra settings, med-high fps, and a good price be?
90 Human Rogue
Hey Kalg,

Just built a budget build referencing your guide and Chelsi's new site. Can you please take a look and let me know how well it will run WoW? That's all I play, I'd love to play ultra and raid in 10/25m raids just wondering how this will do :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q2pX

Also, I didn't include a case because i just purchased the Fractal Design case on Black Friday:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352008

Thanks!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Bobdapyro:
Radeon HD 7850, about $170ish

Circuits:
It looks good to me.
Although I recommend getting a third party CPU cooler in order to OC that FX-6300
90 Human Rogue
Thank you Kalg! I'll prob get a hyper 212 EVO in that case. What kind of settings do you think I'll be able to run with this machine?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Word of warning, not all of those ASRock motherboards support the FX-6300 out of the box.

You may need to ask them to help you with the BIOS/UEFI.
90 Human Rogue
Thanks guys. Chelsi I did already purchase the Fractal Design case :D Thanks though. I'm thinking about just ordering parts over a month or two time span, not in a huge rush I'm just making sure everything is compatible.

Not all of the ASRock Mobos support FX-6300? TBH I'm not very well rounded when it comes to any of the BIOS stuff so this could be an issue for me. Does this happen often?

Thanks!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Most of 970 / 990FX boards support it, but they require a BIOS update for full, proper support.
Edited by Kalganized on 11/28/2012 7:24 PM PST
90 Human Rogue
how hard is updating the bios? That's relatively easy isn't it? Are there other mobos in the same price range that don't require full BIOS update?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
It's a relatively easy process to update the BIOS, except...when the motherboard requires a working CPU to perform that update.

That's why some Motherboard manufacturers have implemented a system to allow doing it directly from USB.

Now here's the thing, ASRock can update their BIOS/UEFI by default to work, so eventually it'll no longer be an issue. It might not be one with their motherboards now.

As for other Mobos, well, they could have the same problem, or not. Hard to say.
Edited by Lyrenna on 11/28/2012 7:46 PM PST
90 Night Elf Mage
Where are you finding the Radeon HD 7850 at 170ish? I can only find it at around 250-300
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]