Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Rellok:

Then consider i3 + B75, which is definitely cheaper

Jakkhammer:

Need a new GPU first.

CPU limit will hit you in raids and massively populated cities; you can alleviate some of the FPS problems by turning off CPU-killing addons like Recount, Auctioneer, and other general number-crunching addons.

Without knowing what power supply you got, all I can tell you is that you can get a Radeon HD 7770 at most.
90 Orc Warrior
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-I3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
90 Human Monk
I'd hate to ask such a newbie question since this is my first time looking at/buying computer parts or researching. But I was considering building a computer system such as or like your TL;DR overkill build or one under 1,000 dollars example builds. How would those far playing other video games beside WoW.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
They'd be just fine, to pretty good, to great.

There's really no advantage to getting better than the overkill build, except for special needs and interests.
90 Human Warrior
Thanks Kalganized

The overkill build does really well with all games and task.

My current build, very close to the overkill build

Main components
I5-3570k OC to 4.5GHz
Biostar TZ77XE4
G.Skill Sniper 16G DDR3 1866
Corsair HX750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Push/Pull
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
2 Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive 1 for OS and 1 for games
1 Western Digital WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
Asus 24X DVD Burner
Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Computer Case with extra fans
Edited by Rellok on 12/15/2012 9:52 AM PST
90 Human Monk
Thanks Rellok. I'll be sure to look into it and if I copy your build. I'll name it after you, the Rellokator (Name pending). :)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Jakkhammer:

You can probably try up to Radeon HD 7850.
But still needs a new CPU + motherboard in order to not bottleneck HD 7850.

Acarlee:

Overkill build is just that: overkill. You don't need that much firepower to run WoW smoothly. The system should only be bought if you want to play latest and greatest 3D Games like upcoming Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3.
90 Human Monk
Acarlee:

Overkill build is just that: overkill. You don't need that much firepower to run WoW smoothly. The system should only be bought if you want to play latest and greatest 3D Games like upcoming Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3.

Gotcha. The main reason for the upgrade is so I can play games like Skyrim, Farcry 3, GTA 4, WoW, *cough* Minecraft *cough*, and others of the sort at decent levels, good FPS/quality levels. I'm not really interested in those 3D games as you mentioned. So, the build under 1,000 dollars would be more geared toward me? If so, do it matter with your example AMD or Intel build?
Edited by Acarlee on 12/15/2012 5:14 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
AMD build if you are willing to overclock your CPU.
Otherwise, Intel.
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Hi! So, I'm building

GPU - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
PSU - Thermaltake Black Widow 850W CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W

I'm stuck on a motherboard. I'm trying to go for a Z77 with just 1 PCI Express 3.0 x16 because I don't plan on SLI. I'll most likely be OC'ing the 3570k and already have an aftermarker cooler. The total comes out to $760 without a motherboard. I want to stay below $900.
So, to recap I'm going to overclock my CPU but don't want SLI. I've found some boards at around $100 or even less that offer this, should I worry about the price being that low that'll go with my build? I don't exactly want to get a crappy one. What do you recommend?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No SLi? Get a lower-end power supply. Max 600W, 500W~550W good.

Z75 can be a decent alternative to Z77 for a non-SLi / XFire setup that still wants to OC. Ensure it has 8-pin CPU power receptacle.

Note that Radeon HD 7870 costs about the same as GTX 660, but outperforms it in most games.
90 Human Monk
Hey Kal, newbie question here again (or to anyone to answer this) I've taken your 1,000 dollar build and did some mods to it to suit my needs for upgrading and all. (Lemme know what you think. Added a bigger power supply and different motherboard)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sV9l

But I came across something and needed approval of this.

Is there any differences in this memory here. Or is it more of a price. I want this build but trying to save a buck here and there without suffering performance if that makes sense...

So its between...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b

And

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Well, i can't see there's a difference in the RAM's performance, just the heat fins.

The one is low-profile, the other is not. Does it matter? That depends on the layout of your motherboard and the case, and the heat sink.

I don't think it'll be a problem either way, for you, but it could be an issue in some situations.
Edited by Lyrenna on 12/17/2012 10:07 AM PST
90 Human Monk
Thanks Lyrenna. Seems like I'll do that and go with the cheaper one. Appreciate it. I can finally start ordering my computer parts as I get the money too. Thanks (and I'll probably be back to these forums with installation questions.. Ha!)
90 Human Warrior
Kalganized have you seen much of a performance increase for games like wow going from the Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz to the Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz ? both on a B75 motherboard.

Thanks
90 Human Warrior
I am going to be making the final purchase tonight for my sons build (CPU & MB) and I have done alot of research on both cpu's but cant find anything on games like wow which are more dependent on the cpu vs gpu games, but what I did find was that on games like BF3 there is little gains in fps with cpu's using Hyper-Threading vs ones like the G860 that do not.

So I wanted to get your input to see if you have seen any benifits in fps with using Hyper-Threading on wow.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is not a huge difference between a Pentium and an i3 in gaming -- these two CPUs are more or less the same, with only difference being HyperThreading.

But in games that are multithreaded well, i3 will perform better.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Kalganized, thanks for all the help you give on this forum.

Can you check over this build to make sure everything works together correctly. I know just enough to be dangerous ;-)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/te1a

Thanks!
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Just a warning, that RAM is tall. May not be a problem, but they do stick out.
90 Human Paladin
I've a few questions regarding building my computer:

1. Do I need a new copy of Windows to load onto my new HD or can I simply clone my old hard-drive somehow? (I would like to clone my laptop, if at all possible).

2. If I am not overclocking (and I doubt I ever will), do I need to purchase a heat sink/cooler for my CPU?

3. Is the speed difference between a mechanical HD and a SSD noticeably significant? I am debating between the two and can't decide if I want to splurge for a SSD.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]