Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

100 Tauren Druid
I believe you can clone it over, but it's best to do a fresh install.

If you don't overclock, there's no need to get an aftermarket heat-sink unless you want lower temperatures.

I don't have any personal experiences with SSDs (yet), but I hear loading times are significantly improved. On some SSDs WoW loading times are something like a few seconds.
90 Human Paladin
I believe you can clone it over, but it's best to do a fresh install.

If you don't overclock, there's no need to get an aftermarket heat-sink unless you want lower temperatures.

I don't have any personal experiences with SSDs (yet), but I hear loading times are significantly improved. On some SSDs WoW loading times are something like a few seconds.

Excellent! Thank you for the responses :) One follow-up question:

1. Fresh install meaning a brand new copy of Windows? Or can I use the Windows CD/key that came with my laptop?
100 Tauren Druid
You should be able to use the copy if it came with a disc. You won't be able to use the same key, but if you call Microsoft and explain that you're building a new computer they might give you a new key.Otherwise, you'll have to buy a new OS.

EDIT: By fresh install I meant formatting the hard drive and doing a new install.
Edited by Manik on 12/19/2012 1:55 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Mage
12/19/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Valpin
3. Is the speed difference between a mechanical HD and a SSD noticeably significant? I am debating between the two and can't decide if I want to splurge for a SSD.
It is certainly noticeable. If you put Windows on it, it will boot a lot faster; if you put WoW on it, everything loads a lot faster in game.

I have a 120gb ssd that fits Windows and WoW on it with 50% free (which is apparently the free space to shoot for). I used to have a separate 64gb SSD for just WoW (can work better, depending on the drive), but I broke that one in a flagrant display of "my own fault." :-/ I've always had a regular HDD for storage, which I still wouldn't go without. To protect the SSD from excessive writes, I keep things like WoW screenshots and certain Windows folders on the mechanical drive using "symbolic links."
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I've a few questions regarding building my computer:

1. Do I need a new copy of Windows to load onto my new HD or can I simply clone my old hard-drive somehow? (I would like to clone my laptop, if at all possible).

You can try Clonezilla, a free utility for that purpose, though there are some potential pitfalls, including needing to call Microsoft about it, and get a new license.

You might also try getting a Windows 8 upgrade license, so you can get an installer, depending on the version you have, you may even get downgrade rights to Windows 7.

2. If I am not overclocking (and I doubt I ever will), do I need to purchase a heat sink/cooler for my CPU?

Depends on your CPU, your case, and whatever else you have in there.

3. Is the speed difference between a mechanical HD and a SSD noticeably significant? I am debating between the two and can't decide if I want to splurge for a SSD.

Huge, for the things where it is relevant. Whether or not it's a viable option for you, I don't know, it depends on whether it'd be the OS or some games, or whatnot.

It is worthwhile for the costs though.
90 Human Paladin
12/19/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Plusfour
It is certainly noticeable. If you put Windows on it, it will boot a lot faster; if you put WoW on it, everything loads a lot faster in game.

I have a 120gb ssd that fits Windows and WoW on it with 50% free (which is apparently the free space to shoot for). I used to have a separate 64gb SSD for just WoW (can work better, depending on the drive), but I broke that one in a flagrant display of "my own fault." :-/ I've always had a regular HDD for storage, which I still wouldn't go without. To protect the SSD from excessive writes, I keep things like WoW screenshots and certain Windows folders on the mechanical drive using "symbolic links."

Excellent, thanks for the advice :) I don't have much on my computer in terms of music, videos, etc. so I think a 250GB SSD would definitely be enough to last me a long time.

I've a few questions regarding building my computer:

1. Do I need a new copy of Windows to load onto my new HD or can I simply clone my old hard-drive somehow? (I would like to clone my laptop, if at all possible).

You can try Clonezilla, a free utility for that purpose, though there are some potential pitfalls, including needing to call Microsoft about it, and get a new license.

You might also try getting a Windows 8 upgrade license, so you can get an installer, depending on the version you have, you may even get downgrade rights to Windows 7.

2. If I am not overclocking (and I doubt I ever will), do I need to purchase a heat sink/cooler for my CPU?

Depends on your CPU, your case, and whatever else you have in there.

I'll look into Clonezilla, but it seems that a fresh copy/license is the way to go.

Here is my build thus far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/th70

Heat sink/cooler necessary?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Intel's CPUs and heatsinks are quite adequate, and you won't be ocing with that CPU.
90 Human Paladin
12/19/2012 03:03 PMPosted by Lyrenna
Intel's CPUs and heatsinks are quite adequate, and you won't be ocing with that CPU.

Thanks!
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Samsung 840 has a much lower write lifespan compared to other SSDs (about 1/3rd less, due to using TLC memory chips rather than MLC). This may be a minus to you.

Consider Samsung 830 instead. They aren't the fastest, but they are being sold at a dirt cheap prices as vendors are trying to get rid of the inventory for the 840 series.

Remember to connect SSD to the SATA III port on the motherboard. Failing to do so will severely penalize the performance.

You can save $10 or so if you go with B75. There is -nothing- you lose over H77.

You can probably find a Radeon HD 7870 for $30ish more; if you can, go for it instead of HD 7850.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Bump to keep this guide more towards the top.

Well, unless anybody wants to tell me any thoughts on the Silverstone PS06B-W case I picked up for 50 bucks.
100 Tauren Druid
So Kalg, you haven't updated the guide since November 17th. Is that mostly just because nothing new has come out?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yep. Nothing new has been coming out for a while. Only new thing is Radeon HD 7870 LE, but that will be a very limited run that you'll rarely see (if at all) on the market.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Bump for great justice, and to keep this thread on the first page.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks Lyrenna ;)

Merry Christmas to all GGH forum posters!
87 Night Elf Death Knight
hey kalg, what's the difference between the sapphire vapor-x 7950 and the Flex 7950? i'm getting ready to order as soon as my direct deposit clears, and the flex is more expensive than the vapor-x, i'm wondering if the extra 20 bucks gives some kind of advantage...
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Vapor-X is your typical "premium" card lineup with fancier coolers and whatnots, like WindForce, TwinFrozr, etc.

Flex is bit different -- this particular lineup focuses on multi-monitor setup heavily, and this particular Flex is known for supporting 3 monitors without having to use fancy splitters to get it done. It also has usual fancy fan + OC too. Normal Radeon cards cannot do this.
so i guess the extra 20 bucks is so i don't have to go spend 30 on an active adapter for the third monitor?

i'll take it
i ordered the flex 7950. hopefully it'll be good to go out of the box and i won't have to RMA it twice like the XFX 7850.
14 Worgen Warrior
Thank you so much, Kalganized.
Edited by Latrael on 12/27/2012 6:25 AM PST
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Latrael:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EQP0G

HD 7870 is enough for most games, but if you want to max out the most demanding games, up it to HD 7970 (IceQ Edition).

Build assumes you won't OC the CPU, nor care about CrossFireX.

If Samsung 840 (using TLC, lower write lifespan than MLC-based SSDs, but is not a huge deal for most) is something you don't like, swap it out for a different SSD.
Edited by Kalganized on 12/27/2012 1:27 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]