Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

90 Human Mage
Great thanks, Kalganized.
90 Draenei Shaman
I will be upgrading my graphics card. I don't plan on over-clocking (never done it before). I was originally going to get a PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473
I wanted to spend less than $200, and since this card is only $180 after shipping, I was about to order it.

But I saw the note in the guide about looking at Radeon HD 7870 LE's. I happened to check back today, and saw Newegg lowered the price to $220 after rebate (plus free shipping):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484&Tpk=radeon%20hd%207870%20le

So now my question is, since I am not over-clocking, will I see a noticeable difference between a 7850 and a 7870 LE to justify spending $40 more? The bargain hunter in me really wants to get the 7870 LE, simply because they lowered the price by $20...
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Yes, the 7870 LE is very much worth the extra dollars.
90 Human Paladin
So general question, whens a good timeframe within a computer's life when you want to start considering upgrades?

Built my new comp around...august last year, but looking online at vid card prices and stuff wondering if it would be good to upgrade at least my video card

Got a gtx 560 at the moment, 8 gigs of ram (thinking about adding extra ram as well)

Am I being too hasty, or is a good time for some small upgrades?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Immediately after buying it. Actually, before buying it would be best.

But it depends on your finances, and your upgrade standards. Some people are comfortable using a system till it just can't play games any more.

Other people have to chase the latest stuff as they can get it.

Another thing to pay attention to is what is coming out. Right now, it's the tail-end of the current video card generation. OEMs have even pressured AMD to rebrand some cards with 8000 numbering just to look better. It might be better to wait till the actual next generation products start to come out and prices drop, before the supply glut dwindles.

Though at the moment, there's a slight trend upwards on prices, so I can't say you should get anything right now.
28 Gnome Warlock
I'm building a PC and have a 1k budget. What should I get for stuff? I will NOT need a monitor, AND I WILL need Windows (hopefully I don't have to get 8). Also, I want an SSD drive as well. Any suggestions?

PS - I don't HAVE to overclock, but if it doesn't cost a whole lot extra to do so then I'll throw in some extra bucks to do so.
PPS - I prefer an Intel processor. Not much of an AMD fan for gaming systems anyway.
Edited by Minikey on 2/2/2013 6:26 AM PST
90 Human Rogue
Having a tough choice right now, seeing as if you purchase a 7950 or 7970 you can a coupon for crysis 3 and bioshock infinity.

Currently running a monitor at 1080p and just curious if the 7950 will perform fine for bioshock as of now. Not much of a fan for crysis 3.

I don't like overclocking GPU but I am kind of OCD about keeping it cool and decently quiet. Leaning towards the MSI / HIS one. I had a really bad experience with galaxy and would prefer not to get them again.

Any recommendations? Should I take the jump and just go for the 7970?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HD 7950 with some OC will perform well enough in 99.9% of games on a single monitor setup (with high / max settings).

But if money allows, of course, HD 7970 (with some OC) would be the best choice.

I know you said you don't like to OC GPUs, but with Radeon cards, you are missing out on almost 10% free performance gain if you don't.
90 Human Rogue
hm probably going to go with a 7950, do you have any preference? Been hearing all sorts of bad things about MSI this time around, usually they are recommended but, I been getting ASUS/Gigabyte as recommendations but not so much for HIS.
How does this look for a laptop, how would it fair with WoW?

Sager NP9170

Screen - 17.3" 16:9 1920X1080 Full HD LED backlight (Matte-Type)
Graphics Controller - nVidia GeForce GTX 670MX 3GB GDDR5 DX11 w/Optimus Technology
Processor - 3rd Gen Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3630QM, 2.4-3.4GHz, 22nm, 6MB, 45W
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600/PC3 12800 Dual-Channel (4G X 2)
Primary Hard Drive:
750GB 7200rpm SATA II 16MB 3GB/s
Primary Battery:
One SMART LI-ION BATTERY PACK included
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Cherle: It looks good enough, will run WoW well.
90 Human Rogue
gah radeon's game selection is so great. I know its a down grade going from a 660ti to a 7870 but with overclock it should match or even outperform the 660ti right?
64 Blood Elf Paladin
nice guide, but im afraid this will not help me as looking at this for me is like a 5 year old trying to read algebra.

do you think you could build a pc that would handle my needs and not cost more than 700?
90 Human Rogue
If you were to scroll down a bit more on the first page there is something called
The recommended build or TL:DR link
87 Night Elf Death Knight
So general question, whens a good timeframe within a computer's life when you want to start considering upgrades?

Built my new comp around...august last year, but looking online at vid card prices and stuff wondering if it would be good to upgrade at least my video card

Got a gtx 560 at the moment, 8 gigs of ram (thinking about adding extra ram as well)

Am I being too hasty, or is a good time for some small upgrades?

upgrade your parts when the current games you play start to stress your system. for myself, i'm going to have a nice chunk this year from my tax return, so i'm going to splurge now that i've paid off my school loans. after that, i probably won't worry about upgrading anything until it gets to the point where the 400 dollar computers from walmart can outperform it.
90 Tauren Druid
I have to run Crysis 3 on mostly medium settings to get playable fps on my Radeon 6950 and i5-3570k /cry

I guess it's time to upgrade, but it looks like Radeon 8000 series was pushed back to Q4...

I think I'm going to get this though, if the rumors about the 8000 series delays are true.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161412

Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite come with it... sounds good to me >.>
Edited by Manik on 2/4/2013 5:20 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]