My loptop over heating playing wow

3 Dwarf Paladin
Hi guys
I have a macbook pro and when i play wow my laptop get really hot not like usually and the fan is running like crazy so i dont know what wrong or what i can do. I dont want to break my computer he,s kinda new so... any ideas??
Edited by Smartos on 10/19/2012 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Remove any pdf reader you may have, especially Adobe. In fact remove any and all Adobe software from your computer. Their programs constantly run in the background.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
It will also help to post your system information.

1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
    2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)

You may also benefit from reviewing the World of Warcraft Low Performance article:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-running-slow-or-choppy-mac
Reply Quote
74 Human Paladin
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 1 day22:26

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.68f98
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Canadian
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks.

Have you done some of the steps outlined in the article I linked?
Reply Quote
74 Human Paladin
ya i dropped down the graphics and the background and foreground (i dont really remember how it called in the wow graphics options.)

And it seems to work i didnt played much but the fan was not running like crazy the 20 minutes i played so... We'll see

Thanks alot
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Let us know the results :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Hello, I experience the same thing always when gaming on my macbook pro, heres a few things you should know to put your mind at ease!

- This is NORMAL, you must remember that the hotter it is on the outside surfaces of the laptop the cooler it will be inside with the actual computer components

- You will not damage your Mac in anyway by playing WoW/ Heat/ Fan intensity etc.

- If you're mac overheats it will automatically shutdown.

- Try not to keep it on heat conducting materials such as playing in bed on the duvet etc.

- Try and get your macbook cleaned every now and then to remove any dust from the internal components, you can do this by taking it to a local apple store or retailer.

- Macbook pro's expel there heat around the binding of the laptop, the joint between screen and keyboard which may be a reason it may be feel extremely hot.

In conclusion, do not worry, the heat of the mac is normal when gaming, just insure to not put it in a position which will increase the risk of overheating.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I have to disagree on the heat item. I have the retina display MacBook Pro laptops and it runs extremely hot. I gave up on wow in the Mac OS and play solely in boot camp mode.

However, don't be fooled. Prolonged heat has a detrimental impact on several aspects on any IC equipment. To say these run hot is an understatement. At times it can be hot enough to make me keep my hands off the keys in the upper left corner of the laptop.

I recommend a cooling pad at the very least if you plan on gaming for more than 1-2 hours at a time. The one advantage you have is that they do have a great cooling system. Yes, it is a loud fan, but if you exit the game it will cool off relatively fast.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Unfortunately, it not just happens in apple products, my samsung RF511 overheats a lot when I play World of Warcraft, at the first time I thought that it was overheating with any job realized in my PC but it just overheats when I play this game.

I did the same thing that you suggest on your list...and It's still is making popcorn.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
My laptop never got this hot before Pandaria came out. Diablo 3 does the same thing. No idea why both games make it run so hot now.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Rogue
Man, I thought I was the only one with thos very issue, the heat, the whirring, i've raken it into a mac repair shop and they fixed the hard drive twice now, right now it seems to function okay, and for it not to crash, i try as mich as possible to log off and pit it on sleep mode instead of shut down which sometimes make the mac not show up anything on screen. By the way, does anyone know how to rake a screenshot on the mac for WoW?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Syk

- This is NORMAL, you must remember that the hotter it is on the outside surfaces of the laptop the cooler it will be inside with the actual computer components.

It figures that Apple would violate the second law of thermodynamics. Jerks.

Seriously though, the only way this could be true is with a heat pump (air conditioner). With fans, it'll always be hotter inside than out. I'm thankful for that as well since SMC tells me my temp gets to almost 90C when I'm playing. Flesh starts burning at about 55C.

Sednaä, mechanical engineer.
Edited by Sednaä on 1/29/2013 5:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I have a brand new Macbook Air and it ONLY runs hot in LFR on Fair settings. Even on Low settings LFR turns my fans on.

If Blizzard would allow us to turn off all of the casting particle effects it would be back to the way it was long ago!

Does Boot Camp really help all that much?
Edited by Boomah on 1/29/2013 6:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
24 Draenei Hunter
it is not too hard its best to keep it on a hard surface if you want to play in bed or on your lap then I would definitely recommend a lapdesk or something like it it will help improve airflow immensely. It will get hot when playing games and this is normal for ANY computer you get. Lower graphic settings help. The reason it gets hot is all in the graphics. you are browsing the web and you bring up google...done.. games. you are moving the terrain is changing your friend is moving you send ome text to the server everyone thats talking is sent to the server and posted on your screen you are constantly checkin every person on your server who is online and you are sending data constantly thosands of things are all going on at once and its putting strain on your processer, graphics card, RAM, and a little on storage but your hard drive shouldnt have too much issue but overall sending all this data at say 30 times a second=heat

computer power = heat

Also make sure to keep everything but wow closed as that will just add extra uneccissary stress And yes the heat is breaking the computer...but very slowly...which is not something to worry about in about 5 years my firs macbook was playing at about 80-90% what it was when I got it. Also good to have a warrenty on it as you will more then likely break something even if you do not play games.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
It's been buried for a while now, since stickies can only stay up for so long, but the following thread may give some relief to the overheating aspects of WoW (and other Blizzard games as well).

If you have a machine that has frequent use and/or is a year old or more, you should definitely read up on the section regarding keeping your machines clean written by Perma, about halfway down the first post.

PSA - Overheating/Cleaning Machines

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490539797

Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Hey guys, I have been encountering the same problems, so i took my laptop to a local third party repair shop. First thing they said (btw i have a 2012 macbook pro) that with most laptops their "thermo paste" that comes with the lap top wears off which causes the issue to overheat. By coming to this repair shop they removed the stock thermo paste and put a high end thermo paste that keeps the motherboard cool, it drastically helped my overheating problem while gaming. Just something to try out also, a external fan helps out for comfort, you wont feel the overheating as much and with the thermo paste change process and an external fan (which i bought on amazon for $7 dollars) I pretty much fixed the issue on the most part. If you are in the Los Angeles area i recommend: Smart Stop Wireless and you can look up their website at www.smartstopwireless.com they know a great deal on lap top services pertaining to gaming.

Cheers
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
How much was it to get high end thermo paste?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
How much was it to get high end thermo paste?

Unless you intend to void your warranty, you should not take the machine apart to do this yourself. If you choose to repair at a shop, make sure to ask them to show you proof that they are an Apple Authorized Service Provider and the employee is an Apple Certified Repair Technician. If they cannot provide proof ask them to log in to GSX while you watch. If they are unable to do so, take your machine elsewhere.

Preferrably, if you're near an Apple Store, you should take the machine there and have them inspect it. You may find lots of hidden dust clots that are choking the machine to death and causing overheating. Thermal paste is not that often the culprit in modern Apple products (it was years ago, but Apple updatd its guidelines on how much to use and how to apply it).

Whatever you do, make sure you've got yourself covered when getting any repair done on your machine. Apple won't cover improper or unauthorized repairs.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]