Prismatic Scales

90 Night Elf Hunter
As I'm sure their have been many threads on this issue I'm sure about the terrible drop rate. It's obvious something needs to be done to even out the scales a bit. Why didn't they just make prismatic scales the MoP version of blackened dragon scales? where you only need X amount plus leather for mail gear? I wouldn't mind the separate mat, if the mat's drop rate was the same as the leather. It makes making mail pvp gear extremely difficult and expensive should one choose to buy mats.

In the wake of no change, i've been running around trying different spots for farming. I was wondering if anyone found a decent spot. The best i've found is a little aclove with 20 turtles NE of Farmville, and the newbie turtles by pearlfin village.
Reply Quote
like my warrior and priest before this toon, i was trying craft a decent set of iLvl 415 armor for questing. within a couple hrs of farming with both toons (and with out much difficulty i might add) i was able to. now im leveling up my third MoP toon, and with the absolute dreadful drop rates of the prismatic shard, it is practically impossible to craft a whole set of ilvl 415 armor for my hunter . i farmed turtles and basilisks in JF, and turtles in the valley, for about two hrs. i was able to find enough prismatic scales to craft 5 pieces of mail armor (with no rare pop ilvl 415) . conversely with the exotic leather i found i was able to craft about 50 pieces of leather armor with 8 rare 415 pops. now ive been reading other posts and it seems this is severly broken. with blizzard always focused on competative balance in all areas of the game, how can this continue to be an issue. this is something that should have been fixed in beta, before it went live. as it stands right now, hunters and shaman are at a severe disadvantage.

Blizz Fix This
/sigh
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I had a similiar problem while levelling up. Tons of exotic leather and very little prismatic. At higher levels I'm getting alot more prismatic scales... of course now I'm getting a ton more than I'll use.

Maybe part of the issue is that there isn't the equivalent of the Sha touched leather for the scales. Also, the turtles seem to drop exotic leather as well as the scales. If they always dropped scales it would be much easier to get the necessary scales. I believe that every time you skin you get something - so most of the time that will be leather or sha touched leather and not scales.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
If nothing else I would take a conversion recipe or vendor. 3-5 exotic leather per scale would still be a marked improvement over the current rarity.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I posted about this in another thread last week so re-post here.

Use the following progression chart.

3 Resources = 2 Leather, 1 Scale
4 Resources = 3 Leather, 1 Scale
5 Resources = 3 Leather, 2 Scale
6 Resources = 4 Leather, 2 Scale
7 Resources = 5 Leather, 2 Scale
8 Resources = 6 Leather, 2 Scale
9 Resources = 6 Leather, 3 Scale
10 Resources = 7 Leather, 3 Scale
11 Resources = 8 Leather, 3 Scale
12 Resources = 8 Leather, 4 Scale
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Yep. I got a good 30 stacks of exotic leather while leveling before going and levleing up leatherworking. 30ish stacks of exotic leather...1.5 stacks of prismatic.
WTH?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yep. I got a good 30 stacks of exotic leather while leveling before going and levleing up leatherworking. 30ish stacks of exotic leather...1.5 stacks of prismatic.
WTH?

The more abundant animals or ones that are part of quests/dailies tend to be "mammals" vs. "reptiles" that drop the scales, so its not surprising the disproportionate ratio of leathers:scales.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
That's kind of the problem though. There's far fewer mobs that drop the prismatics, and we need them for mail gear. And anything that can drop prismatic can also drop exotic leather (and does so more often than prismatic).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
This needs to be bumped continually until something is done. The average cost to craft a piece of leveling leather is 40 gold. The average cost to craft a piece of leveling mail gear is 150-200 gold. Mail wearers have to come out of pocket by 4-5 times what leather classes do, just because they wear mail. It's absurd. Especially now that the turtles have been nerfed, prismatic scale prices are obscene. There is no longer a reliable farming spot at all, forget about the fact that even those still dropped tons more leather than scales.

Blizzard, what were you thinking? If you insist on making only the reptiles drop scales, at least make it a guaranteed drop. Prismatic scales should have been a currency, like kyparite, rather than a required material.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Im having trouble with this too. very hard to create the desired armor for a hunter when the drop rate is low.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Wow - I'm not a skinner, but I've got a stack or two of these from fishing. See if anyone who's opening those Fishing Crates can send them your way.
Reply Quote
Do golden lotus dailies. Some days you get a quest to kill gators. You could spend hours skinning here. You'll get a ton of prismatic scales. I've got about 10 stacks I need to throw on the AH.

Edit: What they really need to fix is Spirit of Harmony. Whether they boost the drop rate or make these BoA, there need to be more of them. Or make them purchasable. The NPC who trades stacks of 20 prismatic scales or exotic leather for 1 Spirit of Harmony, should also offer the reverse. You give him 20 exotic leather for 1 Spirit of Harmony.
Edited by Jomcho on 10/29/2012 5:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Jomcho,

I don't think their issue is with "Farming Scales"... it's during the leveling process, and the mat requirement for the 415 Random Enchant Gear.

Some players have professions for self gearing and the drop rate from 85-89 is rather dismal.

Once someone gets to lvl 90 and they can fly to reptile hot-spots... scales are not an issue any more. In fact it then becomes an over abundance issue since the higher ilvl mail-gear uses more Hides than scales.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
like my warrior and priest before this toon, i was trying craft a decent set of iLvl 415 armor for questing. within a couple hrs of farming with both toons (and with out much difficulty i might add) i was able to. now im leveling up my third MoP toon, and with the absolute dreadful drop rates of the prismatic shard, it is practically impossible to craft a whole set of ilvl 415 armor for my hunter . i farmed turtles and basilisks in JF, and turtles in the valley, for about two hrs. i was able to find enough prismatic scales to craft 5 pieces of mail armor (with no rare pop ilvl 415) . conversely with the exotic leather i found i was able to craft about 50 pieces of leather armor with 8 rare 415 pops. now ive been reading other posts and it seems this is severly broken. with blizzard always focused on competative balance in all areas of the game, how can this continue to be an issue. this is something that should have been fixed in beta, before it went live. as it stands right now, hunters and shaman are at a severe disadvantage.

Blizz Fix This
/sigh

I was able to deck out my cloth, leather, and plate wearers fairly well but am running into huge roadblocks with my hunter. I won't even bother with my shaman. The prismatic drop rate is stupid - especially for people like us who try and craft the 415 ilevel gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/25/2012 07:27 AMPosted by Ersiusp
If nothing else I would take a conversion recipe or vendor. 3-5 exotic leather per scale would still be a marked improvement over the current rarity.

No, they should just fix the drop rate. Although 3:1 is somewhat reasonable but 5:1?? Absolutely not.

There's no reason why shaman and hunters should be getting screwed on gear because of this. It's as simple as changing a variable that stores the drop percentage for turtles and snakes.
Edited by Kalycto on 1/12/2013 10:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Easy solution would be to have a conversion factor for leather to scale, 2:1 or even 3:1. Note that some of the hides at the lower levels also had this problem for leveling LW.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The lake in Vale gives me plenty of scales.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/13/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Holidae
The lake in Vale gives me plenty of scales.

I've been farming them nonstop for 3 days now. My hunter only needs the level 415 leggins (I keep getting the rare caster ones -_- ) but the drop rate is probably 1:10 for exotic leather versus prismatic scales.
Edited by Kalycto on 1/19/2013 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]