As it turns out, "my best" needs improvement. This looks like an ideal fight for Affliction, yet I did no better than our Shadow Priest, even while I had a small advantage in item level. Looking at World of Logs, top rankings for Affliction are 90-100k; top rankings for Shadow are 80-90k. So obviously, I'm not playing my spec to its potential.
Then I look at some of the top logs, and my sad thoughts grow larger. For example, look at this guy:
He holds the record for Affliction on this fight, 100k. If you click his name for more details, and compare his "Damage by spell" with the same data for me:
The difference is astounding.
As far as I can tell, this guy is a magician. Somehow, in a fight that lasted 1 minute less than our kill, he managed to do 30% more of everything:
- 872 ticks of Agony, compared to 712 ticks for me
- 715 ticks of Unstable Affliction, compared to 523 for me
- 817 ticks of Corruption, compared to 649 for me
His dots didn't just tick more, he applied more of them:
- 77 applications of SS:SB, compared to 60 for me
- 38 applications of Haunt, compared to 31 for me
- 146 applications of Agony, compared to 113 for me
- 144 applications of Unstable Affliction, compared to 106 for me
- 147 applications of Corruption, compared to 110 for me
While doing all of this, he also stood around channeling more:
- 01:53 uptime on Malefic Grasp, compared to 01:44 for me
- 01:16 uptime on Drain Soul, compared to 01:08 for me
He did get more procs from Nightfall - 49 compared to my 31. That could be better maintenance of Corruption, or could be a fluke from RNG.
So, what am I missing? How do I do better on fights like this?
Also: do you guys use any add-ons to help you keep track of your dots, especially with many targets? In a single-target boss fight, I don't have a problem, but for fights like this, I sure could use an add-on to bring my attention to expiring dots on targets other than the one I'm on.