Why can't other healers solo like Mistweaver?

87 Blood Elf Monk
Anyone else notice how smoothly and naturally a Mistweaver Monk can quest/solo compared to other healing classes in their healing specs? It is like night and day, and has nothing to do with raw DPS. Whenever I try to solo/quest on my Holy Paladin, Resto Druid, Disc Priest, or Resto Shaman, it just makes me sick to my stomach in comparison - they all feel so clunky, limited and lacking in some regard. How sad is that?
Edited by Kythaela on 10/22/2012 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How said is questing/leveling in a healing spec when you have viable dps options?

Pretty sad.... I don't see the point in handicapping yourself for "flavor" or whatever people are looking for when they decide they want to quest/level in a heal spec.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Monk
Some people are looking for a specific play-style or class flavor solo, and it has nothing to do with spreadsheet numbers. Why even play a game if you aren't having fun game-wide with your chosen character amd spec?

Some people also don't enjoy the needless chore of building and maintaining multiple gear sets for a single character class, because of poor core game design - especially in a game where item level inflation happens pretty much every patch.

In addition, some people don't like how their other class specs play and/or feel. I don't think there is a single class in WoW that has more than one spec that I find fun to play. Some have zero fun specs, in my opinion.

There just isn't a valid reason why Blizzard cannot make all healing specs more fun and synergistic to play solo/questing - except general developer laziness and lack of creative vision.

In closing, people who only live and think in terms of spreadsheet numbers and recount print-outs, probably have no clue what I am talking about.
Edited by Kythaela on 10/22/2012 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Some people are looking for a specific play style solo, that has nothing to do with raw DPS. Why play a game if you aren't having fun with your character & spec?

Some people also don't like building & maintaining multiple gear sets, due to poor game design - especially when rampant ilevel gear inflation makes everything obsolete so quickly.

Some people also don't like how their dps/tanking specs play/feel.

People who only live and think in terms of spreadsheet numbers, probably have no clue what I am complaining about.

The problem with your rationale is a Mistweaver plays like a gimped version of a Windwalker if they try and solo in Tiger stance so why not just use that cheap Dual spec option and kill stuff faster since the "flavor" is pretty much the same.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Some people are looking for a specific play style solo, that has nothing to do with raw DPS. Why play a game if you aren't having fun with your character & spec?

Fair enough. If you like to take 2x as much time leveling and get more fun out of it playing a subpar spec, who are we to use logic and tell you different.

Some people also don't like building & maintaining multiple gear sets, due to poor game design - especially when rampant ilevel gear inflation makes everything obsolete so quickly.

Not sure what you mean by poor game design? Do you mean that a main spec healer cannot dps like a dps? That would be a poor decision by the player (oops, sorry.. logic again) Obtaining better gear and progressing your character is part of a RPG, as much as lore is.

Some people also don't like how their dps/tanking specs play/feel.

I can understand this. I didn't like Retribution until Cata, but it was either spend way more time than I wanted to invest leveling as Holy, or learn Ret and use it.

I do like leveling efficiently, so that kinda over weighed the want to level as holy...

People who only live and think in terms of spreadsheet numbers, probably have no clue what I am complaining about.

I know what you are saying, I am just not agreeing with you 8). Then again we play the game for two different means (assumption), and mine is end game where yours may be RP or purely leveling/questing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/22/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Kythaela
Anyone else notice how smoothly and naturally a Mistweaver Monk can quest/solo compared to other healing classes in their healing specs? It is like night and day, and has nothing to do with raw DPS. Whenever I try to solo/quest on my Holy Paladin, Resto Druid, Disc Priest, or Resto Shaman, it just makes me sick to my stomach in comparison - they all feel so clunky, limited and lacking in some regard. How sad is that?

I'd actually be interested to hear a reassessment when you hit Valley of the Four Winds, and beyond.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Not sure what you're talking about. Soloing as a Mistweaver is still pretty brutal.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Monk
[/quote] The problem with your rationale is a Mistweaver plays like a gimped version of a Windwalker if they try and solo in Tiger stance so why not just use that cheap Dual spec option and kill stuff faster since the "flavor" is pretty much the same. [/quote]

Past the first 10-20 levels, I have no idea why Tiger Stance is even in the game for Mistweavers. Serpent Stance is soooooooo much better solo, with more play options, once you get half-way decent green gear even. Playing Mistweaver in Tiger Stance makes me want to gouge out my eyes, it is so limiting and clunky.
Edited by Kythaela on 10/22/2012 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Monk
When I talked about poor game design, I was referring to the same class using different stat gear for different specs. It would have been much better to simply have had passive ability conversions for various stats (or different core class & spec design), so that each different spec of that class could use the same gear type.
Edited by Kythaela on 10/22/2012 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Monk
10/22/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Onochang
Not sure what you're talking about. Soloing as a Mistweaver is still pretty brutal.

Except for the first 30 levels or so, with limited abilities available, and no heirlooms, solo/questing & instance play has been easy-going and fun as Mistweaver. Trying to solo past low-levels as Mistweaver in Tiger Stance. would be brutal and masochistic, however.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/22/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Gotnorice
Not sure what you mean by poor game design?

Poor game design would be forcing all players to do dailies that are obviously designed to be done by DPS players. Blizzard casually assumed that all players either play DPS, or lovingly embraced DPS as their off-spec. They don't seem to care for the idea of allowing people to progress via their preferred role.

It used to be that the spec you played was almost as big of a deal as the class you played. It formed part of your identity as a player. I've played as a resto druid since Vanilla and deeply resent being forced to maintain a DPS offspec. TardChicken and LoLion are !@#$ing lame.

You play a hybrid (the only one with a tank/ranged/melee and healing option) but you only want to use one of your specs.... THAT is a definition of lame, sir (weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy: a lame excuse.)
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
Mistweaver gets better soloing as a Mistweaver because unlike Resto/Resto/Disc they can't spec swap to DPS unless they have a second set of gear.
Past the first 10-20 levels, I have no idea why Tiger Stance is even in the game for Mistweavers.

Because it deals more damage?
Some people are looking for a specific play-style or class flavor solo, and it has nothing to do with spreadsheet numbers.

The flavor comparisons are largely the same though, just with smaller numbers.

due to poor game design

You're using that phrase incorrectly.
Poor game design would be forcing all players to do dailies that are obviously designed to be done by DPS players

No one is 'forcing' you to do dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I don't know how it is with other healers, but questing as a resto shammy is not that bad. I have access to flametounge weapon for additional fire damage, 2 fire totems i can choose from [single target or AOE], an instant fire spelll with DOT, my lava fire spell i dunno the name but it crits for like 40k, and of course chain lightning and lightning bolt.
i also have access to my utility totems like earthgrab etc....

At level 88 I can do about 10K dps if I really time all my spells and CD's.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]