Uses for symbiosis

90 Night Elf Druid
Ok, so there's some really obvious uses for certain versions of symbiosis.

Unfortunately I'm a bit lost with some: specifically
Guardian -> hunter. Ok, so hunter gets sprint which is something he doesn't already have I guess, but is there really somewhere that frost trap is useful to a bear?

Guardian-> mage. So, sort of similar to hunter: the mage gets healing touch, which potentially could mean taking over from a healer in a pinch (can't think of any other use), but the bear gets frost armor, which is a mere 30% slow on enemies hitting him.

Maybe the intent is PVP? But I wasn't under the impression that a pvp bear would be useful in the slightest...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Other than a guardian Druid being the FC in a BG, I see no purpose for Mage armor as well.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Balance perspective:

Mirror Image is a useful CD on our side. Well, for certain definitions of "useful", specifically, "not 100% useless". Mainly, threat is only an issue now at the start of a fight(barring AoE and !@#$ty tanks), it allows us to unload everything right off the bat. Blowing literally every CD from the start, and you can pull aggro off even a decent tank. Mirror Image suspends your threat gen for a while, letting the tank get ahead of you. The DPS contribution otherwise is pretty much ignorable though. Mages get stuck with Healing Touch, though, and I don't see any real PvE use for that. I suppose it might be better than bandages occasionally. A Mage could also use it in Garajal(sp?) to get up to 100% health faster. This of course needs to be balanced with keeping adds under control, but might be useful if the healer missed the portal.

Grapple Weapon from a monk can be useful, at least in five man content. I'm not sure what raid bosses can be disarmed. I don't know what they get in return. I probably should.

Death Knights are nice. Anti Magic Shell can pop traps on Stone Guard with no downside. Pop AMS, step on trap, kill boss. DKs get plague mushrooms, which our DKs do kind of like though the CD is like 3 minutes, they do use the thing. Blood will be getting a tank CD in 5.1 though.

Intervene from a Warrior can be useful at times. I find it better than Intervene on a Warrior, actually. At range, I have a much better view of the battlefield, so I can identify people that could use an Intervene much more easily.

Rogues can make solid emergency tanks for a few seconds with Growl. IF you are close to taking a two tank fight to a one tank fight, using a Rogue with Growl for a brief stack clearing tank swap or whatever might let you have your second tank go to his DPS spec. HotW is probably better if you only need the second tank one time during the fight though. You get Cloak of Shadows, which is probably the better side of the deal.

The rest is crap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Balance PVP: Undying Resolve is about the only useful reason for warlocks existing, ever. Same with Palahdedahdins and their HoJ, as with Grapple Weapon - anything which renders melee useless for a bit is good.

AMS and CoS have uses too - CoS makes Displacer Beast look vaguely useful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
cat play dead! for funnies!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
PvE Guardian perspective: Most of the abilities we get as guardian are really terrible.

Great (2):
Monk and DK are great defensive cooldowns, really the only options. I don't have a Monk or a DK in my raid though :-(.

OK (2)
Of the ones I have access to Consecration is my favourite and the only interesting one. It's not really a damage increase but at least gives me something I couldn't do before, pre-cast something on the ground to pick up adds.
Similarly Ice Trap at least is utility which will occasionally be worth using. It seems a bit odd that it has a 1min CD, I'm going to be with a hunter who can drop a trap every 30sec and with so many other slows around (Earthbind, my own ursol's vortex) it's hard to get excited about.

Useless (6)
Lightning Shield is very little damage and doesn't play well with earth shield.
Frost Armor is terrible, and I can easily slow mobs already, I can't see any time I'd want a 30% slow.
Life Tap is actively bad, why would I give up 100k+ health for 30 Rage - the goal of a tank is almost always the opposite of this and it is a very bad conversion rate.
Feint is also abysmal, only 10% damage reduction - I don't think there will ever be a situation where this is worth using (Frenzied Regen will always be a better use of Rage.
Warrior (Shield Reflect) has a huge (2min) CD despite the fact that it doesn't seem to work on anything in PvE.
Similarly, Fear Ward is a long CD (3min - same as the priest one) and is very niche, might be good in a future fight where fears occur a lot.

As a tank I've been pretty disappointed, but when I play Feral or Moonkin I am always exited by the awesomeness and diversity (feral moreso: Disperse, Bubble, Soul Swap, Redirect, Shattering Throw, Frost Nova :-o).
Reply Quote
81 Pandaren Monk
10/19/2012 03:37 AMPosted by Vorticose
Similarly, Fear Ward is a long CD (3min - same as the priest one) and is very niche, might be good in a future fight where fears occur a lot.

Might be good for Sha of Fear. since it seems like there's gonna be fears on that fight ;p

Life Tap is actively bad, why would I give up 100k+ health for 30 Rage - the goal of a tank is almost always the opposite of this and it is a very bad conversion rate.
Feint is also abysmal, only 10% damage reduction - I don't think there will ever be a situation where this is worth using (Frenzied Regen will always be a better use of Rage.

Yeah, I have no idea why they thought Bear-tanking druids would like Life-tap >Take out 15% of your life to get some rage.

and Feint is so underwhelming that you may as well not take it.

Lightning shield I agree could use some reworking, but as it is, It isn't too bad.

and yeah, Bone Shield is a must, it's also awesome.

Now on the flip side of things, for Feral > I love the cooldowns available,

Awesome. > Priest Dispersion, 90% Damage reduction is beastly. Paladin, Divine Shield has saved me more times than I care to count. Shaman wolves, and hunter play dead are very nice additions to the arsenal. Warrior CD is alright, 20% reduced armor makes it an ok cooldown with pvp applications to it. Can't forget Lock and Rogue ability,

Functioning > Clash from monks is pretty nice, but outside of that there's definitely better things to go for. Frost Nova from mages is... questioning.

Why > Deathcoil, why?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/19/2012 04:14 AMPosted by Ennasai
Why > Deathcoil, why?

Yeah okay that one is pretty bad... might have been neat if it was a 0-energy light damage attack as a bonus 'gcd filler' or something.

When I first saw it I was like "Sweet Deathcoil!" ... then I went.... "oooh, from a Death Knight :-(", (I was picturing the warlock Heal/Terror/Damage one).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Resto:
Spirit walkers grace(i think) from shaman cast while moving for 20 sec. . . not a bad spell to get
Icebound fortitude from dk -.-
Iceblock from mage -.-
teleport circle from lock -.-
purify from pally -.-
Edited by Hugztreez on 10/19/2012 5:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
10/18/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Jashiliter
Guardian -> hunter. Ok, so hunter gets sprint which is something he doesn't already have I guess, but is there really somewhere that frost trap is useful to a bear?
I can see a use for it on Elegon when done correctly.

10/18/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Jashiliter
Guardian-> mage. So, sort of similar to hunter: the mage gets healing touch, which potentially could mean taking over from a healer in a pinch (can't think of any other use), but the bear gets frost armor, which is a mere 30% slow on enemies hitting him.
Other than PvP, no.

Lightning Shield is very little damage and doesn't play well with earth shield.
That was fixed a loonnnnnnnng time ago.

Warrior (Shield Reflect) has a huge (2min) CD despite the fact that it doesn't seem to work on anything in PvE.
Might be useful in Challenge Modes (probably is actually).

Except they can't have a fight where Fears occur a lot, because then Warriors become the only tank capable of handling them.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Blizzard needs to change death coil
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I have to say I was glad for symbiosis against Horridon. Without it the only one in our raid make up that could dispel the disease on the third door would have been the Paladin tank. With it on him, I was able to do most of the dispelling and let him tank.

Still there are a lot that leave one scratching ones head.

Tehuantl
Edited by Tehuantl on 3/16/2013 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Maybe the intent is PVP? But I wasn't under the impression that a pvp bear would be useful in the slightest...

Guardian Tank/FC is every bit as sought after as Prot Warrior (well maybe not every bit but a close 2nd). I've been running it since last season and I feel very strong on an RBG team. It's fun as kitty balls too! You should try it!

Also anything that can slow an enemy is good so you can powershift your way to glory and cap that flag.

Tacos.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Resto:
Spirit walkers grace(i think) from shaman cast while moving for 20 sec. . . not a bad spell to get
Icebound fortitude from dk -.-
Iceblock from mage -.-
teleport circle from lock -.-
purify from pally -.-

You obviously don't do PVP xD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]