Solution to Arena/RBG Activity Issue

90 Orc Hunter
Hello Blizzard, I hope you read this.

Let me preface this with the fact that Arena, and probably RBG (not sure) activity, is at an all time low. Obviously the age of the game is a big factor, however there's something that can be done to increase general PvP (and mainly Arena) activity.

The solution? Lower the rating requirement for Elite Gear/Weapons.

Less players participating in Arena/RBG = Less inflation of rating. This makes it harder and harder to climb rating for the less experienced players. When you're an 1800-1900 player and struggling to climb, 2200 for elite gear/weapons is a very tiny and distant light at the end of the tunnel. It's so far off that people get discouraged more easily and are far more likely to give up. It's definitely harder than ever for people to reach the 2200 mark and get the shiny toys they desire.

The lack of activity begets even less activity as a result.

If you reduce the Elite requirement to 2k, the 1800-1900 player can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels less hopeless; his/her goal is much more realistic to reach at this point, and I believe this will encourage a VERY large amount of players to pick up where they left off, and go reach that goal, which is now more realistic to obtain.

Now obviously this doesn't affect me whatsoever, besides the fact that increased activity will make the game more fun to me. It gets old fighting the same few teams over and over, even at 2200~ rating.

And no, this isn't "dumbing it down" or "making it too easy" - the 2200 rating requirement was implemented when there was far more activity (read: MORE INFLATION) and the goal has become far more difficult to reach RELATIVE TO ACTIVITY. There is far less inflation and although the number hasn't moved, the goal is definitely further out of reach than before.

I just want there to be more PvP activity so everyone has more fun, and I think reducing the 2200 Elite gear requirement to 2k would go a long way with stimulating the scene.

And there should be absolutely no one opposed to this. Most people who can reach 2200 and get the Elite gear/Tier 2 weapons doesn't even care about having that over their opponents, and anyone who does complain about this change is a dumpster.

The only reason I'm not suggesting removing the requirement entirely is purely because a lot of people need a goal to look forward to.

That is all.
Edited by Tosan on 10/21/2012 9:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I also wish there was a way to find partners besides guild hopping and trade chat. We got 500 ways to find ppl to PvE with, but the only way to find Arena partners is real life friends, spamming trade chat, or guild hopping which sucks if you like a guild your in because of friends.

Id honestly play all the time if I could, but trying to find 2 more ppl is hard enough when u can barely manage to find 1. \

I know there are plenty of ppl out there who sit waiting on someone to ask for a extra for 3's. I've did it. Sit around waiting on someone to spam for a 3rd, when there should be an easy way to find these guys besides that archaic mess.
Edited by Mysterymeat on 10/21/2012 9:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
In my experience there has been very little skill difference between 2k and 2200 rated players. I would suggest a rating req drop even lower for the weps. I think S3 had it right. Beyond that, all the hard-core arena people really care about are titles. Only the people that can't break 2200 would probably complain about such a move. Blizz could appease with more implementation of the "elite" gear set concepts. But yeah, as it stands, the carrot is currently on a very long stick. And you know, that may be fine, but there needs to be smaller carrots along the way to the main prize to keep things interesting for the 90% of players that don't see it past 1900 or so.

Very well said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
@ Tosan,

Hi, big fan here, love your skill-capped vids especially rogue. Also this is a good idea, 2k is much more likely to encouraged a bigger playerbase than 2.2, although maybe 1800 might be more appropriate and more achievable for the majority of the player base. I think perhaps introduce a second tier, say 1800 rewards, and keep the 2.2k rewards just make them better. Honestly especially the weapons they are a joke compared to the elite pve weapons.
Edited by Erunbauko on 10/21/2012 9:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
@ Tosan,

Hi, big fan here, love your skill-capped vids especially rogue. Also this is a good idea, 2k is much more likely to encouraged a bigger playerbase than 2.2.

Hey thanks pal :)

Also, maybe even lower than 2k might be a good idea, not sure. Or as Chucker suggested, multiple milestones for people to progress through. I know there are Achievements to mark milestones but maybe that's just not enough anymore.
Edited by Tosan on 10/21/2012 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
99% of players will never reach 2k in arenas that play this game.

20% Will never complete a heroic mode...

problem?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think they just need to do what they did with RBG's and allow players to Q for arena cross realm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
10/21/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Tosan
It gets old fighting the same few teams over and over, even at 2200~ rating.

While I agree that the tier 2 requirements should be lowered in a season where 2.4k+ is gladiator range (where as 2.2k was considered good when people were hitting 3k rating), I think this statement in itself says a lot for the participation rate.

This is also the reason why my team has stopped queing...simply because we fight the same comps over and over and over to the point where we are just not having fun. I'm not trying to make this a post on balance etc, but I feel that what's happening at the higher spectrum of the ladder cascades heavily down to the lower brackets. This applies for both participation rates and class variety.

Speaking from personal experience, I've quit WoW 2 times before (one because of the grind from 70-80 when leveling), and the second time because of the state of rogues in season 9, when I first hit end game content and started pvping.

I felt absolutely hopeless in trying to climb the ladders as a mutilate rogue because I felt gimped by my class and thought I wasn't going to progress any further than that because the game was against me. When I came back at the end of season 10, I learnt the errors of my ways, in that any class is viable but some classes more so than others.

At the same token though, my warrior friends all either quit or re-rolled or focused on PvE in season 11 simply because they too thought it was impossible.

I'll try to stop here, but just on that point I feel that if there was more class and comp variety, that would motivate people to keep playing because they'd be thinking "Hey, that guy plays my class and is rocking it, I could do that too if I improved" as opposed to "**** this PoS imbalanced game it won't matter how hard I try I'm ****ed at this rating"

It'd also help if people stopped camping ratings but, Blizzard said they would do something about it so ... we'll just have to wait and see.

But once again, I must say...humans are creatures that respond to incentive, and certainly dropping the requirement is one idea but I'd think the problem lies elsewhere. I'm not suggesting this is the only fix though, I think the problem itself is multi-faceted.
Edited by Sinzx on 10/21/2012 9:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Sorry but I don't agree. 2200 is already easy enough as it is.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I agree the requirement change probably won't instigate a night and day difference, but it's definitely a start. If it isn't enough, maybe other ideas will arise. This is a very simple way to stimulate the ladders even a little bit though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
10/21/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Excellencex

Either you're a troll, or really unintelligent. You don't even have to be aware of statistics to agree with me, just a little common sense. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're a troll rather than rocking half a brain.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
10/21/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Tosan

Either you're a troll, or really unintelligent. You don't even have to be aware of statistics to agree with me, just a little common sense. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're a troll rather than rocking half a brain.

I'm pretty sure it's arrogance he said that. Regardless 10 million players online currently, less than a 1000 over 2.2k.

It's napkin math really, he's rocking that half a brain, trust me.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Honestly, why have 2200 req. anyways? Why cant you just have to hit a set conquest point earned to buy it, just like it is now but without the rating req.? A weapon is a huge upgrade and when you start getting close to these set points, you start having to face ppl with these weapons and its a pain in the !@#.

I dont understand why other pieces that offer far less advantages arent rating req. or whatnot. Shoulders, etc. if they want stuff to be rating required. Pick something that isnt important.

I mean most 1800-1900 players would take 1.5-2months at least to get a t2 weapon at the current 11k earned, why not just put a conquest earned requirement on it and leave it at that.
Edited by Mysterymeat on 10/21/2012 9:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
10/21/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Mysterymeat
I mean most 1800-1900 players would take 1.5-2months at least to get a t2 weapon at the current 11k earned, why not just put a conquest earned requirement on it and leave it at that.

Nobody would bother queing then, unless they wanted to play for fun (which to an extent there seems to be a lack of, see my previous post) or they wanted to earn a title (even though a lot of players would probably earn the same title they've had for a few seasons running).

At least with the t2 gear people will be active to 2.2kish.

Honestly, I think it would be cool if they added tabards, pets, qt-xmogs etc beyond 2.2k. The wrathful tabards look freakin beast and boy do I wish I played in wrath.
Edited by Sinzx on 10/21/2012 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
10/21/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Sinzx

Nobody would bother queing then, unless they wanted to play for fun (which to an extent there seems to be a lack of, see my previous post) or they wanted to earn a title (even though a lot of players would probably earn the same title they've had for a few seasons running).

Honestly, I think it would be cool if they added tabards, pets, qt-xmogs etc beyond 2.2k. The wrath tabards look freakin beast and boy do I wish I played in wrath.

I agree I love my tabards :D makes me think, blizzard should maybe do like Tabard @ 1800, t2 armor at 2k, t2 weapons @ 2200.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/21/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Sinzx

Honestly, I think it would be cool if they added tabards, pets, qt-xmogs etc beyond 2.2k. The wrath tabards look freakin beast and boy do I wish I played in wrath.

Honestly, what you just said is why ppl quit queing. Once people lose hope and realize there isnt a chance in hell they will get 2.2k, there is no reason to play anymore. And, I venture to say there are more 1900 teams then there are 2.2k teams. There are far more ppl gonna quit who cant make it then ppl quitting because weapons only take time.

There is far more for 2.2k type teams to earn then there is 1900 teams.

The gap is so large, ppl lose hope. If your struggling to hit 2k, 200 more points might as well be glad range. You eventually burn out and just move on. Not only that, players just feel bad if they cant hit that magical weapon range, and quit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Redo how we gain rating. Seems like even when winning at a 3:1 ratio I still have the slowest grind of a life time. That 1 lose brings my mmr down more than the 3 wins i just got half the time. Beeeecausssseeeeeeee all you fight is the struggling 1800-2.1k mass.

What's worse is when all you fight is 1800 teams when your at 2k+ and get unlucky because your anti-comp comes in and gets lucky. No one at 2.2k plays often so your stuck fighting the struggling mass. People sit on 2.2k rating... What do you expect? Hardly ever will fight anything about 2.1k rating even when at 2.1k rating.

2.1k-2.2k is the most depressing thing in your life. If you lose 1 match your back down to 2.1k. Constant grind of trying to beat 1800-2k rated people who give you 9 points per match or decimate you 20-30 points and like 100 mmr lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]