Warlock Tanking.

90 Human Warlock
I haven't seen much talk lately about us warlocks tanking, and I'm kinda curious to why. We are capable of more than "temporary tanking" like I've sen many people say in game Maybe not tanking the raids (haven't tried them yet), but I've tanked just about everything except raids on my lock and I've done fine.

I'll just post a few of my thoughts on out talents/glyphs

Lvl 15 Talents: I believe Harvest Life takes the cake on this one for every tank build.
Lvl 30 Talents: Not much for tanking here, though Mortal Coil gives 15% HP, I gotta choose that one (unless I need the interrupt of Shadowfury)
Lvl 45 Talents: These talents are ones I want input on, what you use, why you think it's best
Lvl 60 Talents: Not much for tanking in my opinion. Burning rush for me.
Lvl 75 Talents: Another one I want input on.
Lvl 90 Talents: None of these really help you survive, so I go with MF to get a bigger area aggro'd so nothing can escape

Recommended Glyphs:
Major:
Obviously Demon Hunting is by the the most important glyph for tanking, that goes without being said.
Soul Consumption: A must for multi target tanking, very useful self-heal.
Siphon life is also a very useful self heal.

Minor:
The only Minor one I care about is Glyph Of Hand of Gul'dan, making sure you hit as many people with this attack is one of the most important things. Very good dot, very high damage.
It's pretty much the Death and Decay of warlocks.

For Single target fights, like bosses, rares, elites...etc I like to use our amazing Voidlord to tank. When Tanking this way I prefer Soul Link on the lvl 45 talents. Not really for a bigger HP pool, but for the shared healing via Harvest Life. 10k a sec for the voidlord is usually more than enough healing. Voidlord takes just about no damage, and they're good at dodging rare spawn abilities and whatnot. When tanking with your void, you don't HAVE to be in DA form, but if your void drops, you better be ready to insta-summon him again, or you're gonna have a bad time.

For Multi-Target tanking it gets a bit different. Since our voidlords don't have an AOE taunt, it is not my choice for big AOE tanking. Instead I like to go in solo via Sacrifice (20% more HP in tank form, and 2% health every 5 sec, AND 30% increased damage on HoG and a few other abilities) (to get the 20% boost to health, you still must use soul link for your lvl 45 tier talent, otherwise, it's not there) The constant stream of HP from Sacrifice, Siphon Life, and Harvest Life all going on at the same time is what keep us warlocks afloat during these big mob fights.

I feel as though I have this warlock tanking stuff down pretty good, but if you have something you think is better, tell me and I'll give it a shot.

We obviously have more tanking cd's, like our 40% damage reduction, our big mastery cd, healthstones, a self brez (if we keep soulstone on ourselves)

I think we have just about everything we need to be legit tanks. Rather or not we can que as tanks doesn't matter to me. I've saved the group from a wipe about 15 times in dungeons(normal and heroic), and it's probably one of the best feelings ever.

Just let me know what you people think about our tanking abilities, I obviously love it. I think more warlocks need to play around with it and get a feel for it.
Edited by Urmomsaidwow on 10/24/2012 11:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
No matter how you structure your talents and glyphs, warlocks were never meant to do any tanking. It's just not possible. Think about the gear, too. In order for any tankable class to tank, they would first need to wear armor that boosts certain tank-friendly stats like: Dodge, Parry, Block, etc. For druids, their tank spec automatically converts certain attributes obtained from leather gear into tank-friendly stats; same with Brewmaster Monks. Don't let me discourage you, though. You are more than welcome to try tanking as a warlock. Don't hold your breath, though. Your group probably won't last very long if you do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
See, but here's the thing...I do tank. And I tank well.

I've ran a few guildies though some heroic panda dungeons with little to no problem.

You are right about not having any block/parry/dodge though. But Armor is over 50%, and mastery reduces physical damage by another 20% on top of that, and magical by 15% or so. Stun time reduced and all that stuff.

But those things do not make a tank live very long, if that's all we had, we would be very crappy tanks, becasue we are lacking a survival stat. But that's where our self heals come into play, it seems like somewhat of a replacement for dodge/block/parry. My total self heals including glyphs + Harvest life + Sacrifice is over 20k hps. To be honest it's been awhile since I've ran numbers, and I know my heals heal for more now, probably around 25-30k hps now. And for the record, these self heals are more or less passive self-heals, it's not like we have to go out of our ways to heal, they are built into the mechanics of our normal rotation

I have a bear tank and a dk tank, so I know what tanking feels like, and I know what makes a good valid tank. And I feel very close to a solid tank on my lock.

Warlocks are weird tanks for sure, and have to be setup right and played correctly, but I have tanked everything up to the raids, and have had no problems.

but thanks for the input.
Reply Quote
76 Blood Elf Mage
A few guildies carried me though some heroic panda dungeons with little to no problem

This......
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The Spec: Demonology
The Talents: 121331
The Glyphs: Demon Hunting, Healthstone, Siphon Life

Acquire through reforging for Dodge and Parry
Stats: Mastery>Dodge=Parry>Stamina>Hit=Expertise

Consumable:
(Guardian Elixir) Elixir of Mirrors
(Battle Elixir)Monk's Elixir
Pearl Milk Tea (Mastery food)

GoSac: Void Walker (Last Stand)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Haters gonna hate, but we definitely have the capability of tanking heroics. We can't really do current raids because of crit immunity, but heroics are cake. We still require a healer, just like any other tank, but we have all the things that are needed and our abilities actually make us better at it in a lot of ways than the other tanking classes.

Blizzard could easily put in a conversion to make haste / crit change to dodge and parry and add crit immunity to Dark Apotheosis, then we'd be just as viable as any other class.

Only thing that sucks about it is we can't queue as tanks for heroics, so we still have to wait or form the whole group just to do it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Acquire through reforging for Dodge and ParryStats: Mastery>Dodge=Parry>Stamina>Hit=Expertise

We can't benefit from Parry. Other than that you're spot on.

Really it's not that bad. Just go for caster gear that has Mastery and Hit on it, reforge Hit to Dodge. If you're using your Fury Ward on CD, you tank about as well as plate tank 6 ilevels lower than you. There is little room for error and it's easier just to use an actual tanking class, but it's fun none the less.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
10/25/2012 01:44 AMPosted by Tecxero
Acquire through reforging for Dodge and ParryStats: Mastery>Dodge=Parry>Stamina>Hit=Expertise

We can't benefit from Parry. Other than that you're spot on.

Really it's not that bad. Just go for caster gear that has Mastery and Hit on it, reforge Hit to Dodge. If you're using your Fury Ward on CD, you tank about as well as plate tank 6 ilevels lower than you. There is little room for error and it's easier just to use an actual tanking class, but it's fun none the less.

Except for that you're totally wrong. Since we can be crit we -require- health pools large enough to take a hit that might be twice as large as a normal tank's at any moment. Thus, effective health is our main concern.

stam>mastery>int>=hit>=expertise>dodge=>haste

EDIT: This is coming from a lock who tanked heroic Morchok and (poorly) Yorsajh.
Edited by Brugloch on 10/25/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Healed a DA tank yesterday. It was awesome, and to be perfectly honest, I liked him better than the Brewmaster I was healing. The only real problem was that some of the Scarlet mobs did extra damage to demons or something, which made that particular part more difficult, but other than that, it was fine.

Seriously. Locks can tank heroics at the very least. With their crit immunity back, I think they could even probably do raids well.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
If warlocks really were meant to tank, then why aren't we given the option to choose "tank" in LFD? Why are all our specs labeled as "Damage" specs? If a warlock is able to tank a heroic, I'm guessing it is because you have a very good healer and very high dps in the group with you. If you were to try tanking a heroic with people who are just above iLvl 440 gear, you probably won't have much success.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

Except for that you're totally wrong. Since we can be crit we -require- health pools large enough to take a hit that might be twice as large as a normal tank's at any moment. Thus, effective health is our main concern.

EDIT: This is coming from a lock who tanked heroic Morchok and (poorly) Yorsajh.

Someone hasnt gone gosac/soul link. I have 564k hp with those talents, which is more then most tanks i have seen in heroics. We can easily tank heroics(ive done it) Raids are a different story(also tried it). It wouldnt be hard for blizz to add a glyph which would convert a % of our mastery, or int, or sp to dodge, parry or dmg reduction. I would love if locks had to option to tank, and it would bring me back to pve, not a fan of dpsing pve, so all i do is pvp. Alas blizzard i just toying with us, demon hunter glyph is completely a tanking glyph. So i do not know why blizzard hasnt either gotten rid of the threat generation on it, or just given us the ability to tank yet.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

That's what the Soul Link talent is for. I personally prefer taking less damage than being able to take more. Just a matter of opinion I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I think for 45 talent, Soul Link would be my choice. If you combine it with Demon Training you should get a good amount of health bonus when you have your Felguard out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Clearly you and I aren't speaking the same language.

Either you don't understand the basic underpinnings of progression tanking, which I'll forgive you for, or you're simply not talking about progression tanking (why would you bother, normals and heroics are faceroll easy).

I gave stat priorities for progression tanking as a lock.

As mentioned, heroics are trivial to tank, especially as you start to gear for them. Honestly, heroics can be DPS tanked by any plate DPS with self-heals/CDs and a good healer is ready for it. Thus it's not exactly worth worrying about stat priorities (kinda like leveling).

Progression tanking (see challenge modes, raiding) requires a A LOT more consideration for what you're trying to accomplish. Often you're actually trying to survive shots you're undergeared for and thus, effective health is the highest consideration. For a lock tank, we can be crit, and thus our effective health must be doubly considered the most important consideration. Avoidance is secondary to effective health everytime until you outgear the content.

Thus:stam>mastery>int>=hit>=expertise>dodge=>haste
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I thought dodge was disabled when casting. If so, then it may not be the greatest stat for us to have in the priority list because eventually you may want to cast a Soulfire (you do have Molten Core stacking like mad afterall), and that shuts off your dodge.

Anyway, further argument for Stam>Mastery is relatively simple: Many of our heals are % based.

Higher total health means more healing from our own cooldowns, and that means more hits taken before you die.

I would say Mastery is a very close second. But Stamina should win out in the end (and more stamina means the boost from GoSac is that much more amazing)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I have heard rumors that Blizz is going to allow Locks to que as tanks here soon. Don't quote me on this, even though some of you will.
Reply Quote
10/26/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Idotfast
I have heard rumors that Blizz is going to allow Locks to que as tanks here soon. Don't quote me on this, even though some of you will.

Quoted.

Also, I'd like to see Demo have tanking viability again. It'd be nice, as we still have issues of super low tank population for queqeing. At least, when compared to DPS and Healers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]