WoW Resources

90 Draenei Shaman
I think it would be very helpful if players could reference some good resources to improve their game play, whether to improve their dps, healing or tanking; help with quests, even video guides.

There are some obvious ones like icy-veins.com, askmrrobot.com, wowhead.com, and elitistjerks.com. But I'm sure there are more that are less known to many players. To the more resourceful players: Please list some sites you use.

Please include feedback on different sites, whether good or bad. Your feedback is greatly appreciated thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
for the common player on this server the class forums are a good place to start as they will not be looking to therycrafting in certain conditions seriously surprises me how many do not know about thier own class forums (granted some specs are not covered but most are)

and also unless you know how to set up ask mr robot properly I recomend not using it at all as half the time has the wrong reforging prorities

Kitties: http://fluiddruid.net/ theincbear.com is nice as well (fluiddruid being better)
Bear: same as kitty but theincbear is better
moonkin: http://themoonkinrepository.com/
resto: lol who plays resto? >.< class forums as lissanna maintains that sticky and also the one on her blog at restokin.com

seriously for druids are all great resources and heaps of people that will answer your questions on the class forums, each of those sites listed above go into more detail about the specific side of crap

but again for just the basics (and more advanced) class forums for most people will be more then enough

elitistjerks is great I just personally do not like it due to the druid section but it has started to fix it self in the feral/guardian side of crap, but you can ask a in depth or a stupid question there (as long as you read the stickies first....) and be answered.

class forums generally have stickies you can ask, but again for a druid prefer the sites above else if I decide to raid on another char I will probaly end up at elitist jerks

(else in the end target dummy or with some friends you can find out what you need to then ask people if they get the similar results)

and sorry about long !@# post
Edited by Ayssa on 10/18/2012 3:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What other site would you suggest for reforging? I have had that exact problem with mr robot, and i find wow-reforge to be a giant number cluster that I don't understand.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/18/2012 05:17 AMPosted by Supersoaker
What other site would you suggest for reforging? I have had that exact problem with mr robot, and i find wow-reforge to be a giant number cluster that I don't understand.

>.< wowreforge lol

make sure it is in simple you can enter the different caps you need (haste is a !@#$% for dot users that want to hit a certain haste cap) down the bottom

then the stat wights mmost guides will give you a simple list even give you numbers i.e. weapon dps being 5.6 while haste is 2.6 (made up etc) if not you have a few options either run simcraft a few times (need to be somewhat knowledgeable and get the numbers they give you and pug them in)

else you can do

oh look my class favors mastery>hit/expertise>haste>crit (again made up)

5/4/4/3/2 and theres your stat weights, this way I do not like due to the fact you can lose some stats as a chest has a higher amount of secondary stats available

it isnt prefect but also remember if you just hit expert you can change each reforge manually so you have an idea on stat prioties and can change according to that (then again if your a feral kitty reforge how ever you feel comfortable with >.< tho changes depending on fight)

I just got turnt off askmrrobot as it does give bad advice and they do not like comments to this and will not change stuff, even if sims and "real life" says differently (and since they get thier data from their own sim programs GG)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey, I'm one of the people from Ask Mr. Robot. Supersoaker, can you elaborate on what you got that didn't seem right? If there's a bug, we'll fix that right away :)

We use SimC to generate our stat weights and then work with a lot of theorycrafters to refine it even more. I'm not sure why Ayssa thinks we don't like comments, since we incorporate a ton of user feedback. In fact, we just did an update yesterday to redo our prot pally weights based off Theck's feedback (Maintankadin), added an option to not suggest belt buckles since a lot of users said they were too expensive, and so on.

Anyway, we're always looking to improve, so any feedback you have, let me hear it :)

I'd also like to add a few tools to the list:
- Gatherer (in-game mod)
- WoW Insider (keep up to date with my news)
- MMO-Champion Blue Tracker
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/18/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Zoopercat
Hey, I'm one of the people from Ask Mr. Robot. Supersoaker, can you elaborate on what you got that didn't seem right? If there's a bug, we'll fix that right away :)

The issues I have had were mainly on my paladin with the hit and expertise caps. When I optimized them it didn't make sure those caps were met and sometimes even had them as high as 9%. I did make sure the settings were right.

I'm soooo glad you said something because I have a suggestion :) or maybe two lol:
Is there a way where just the reforge can be optimized? Like it keeps your gems and enchant stats but then only uses the reforge to optimize? that would be cool.

Also, I'm a bit confused on how the weight edits work. Not exactly sure what the numbers mean. Like the current weight for my hit/exp is 2.5. Where does that number come from?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

We use SimC to generate our stat weights and then work with a lot of theorycrafters to refine it even more. I'm not sure why Ayssa thinks we don't like comments, since we incorporate a ton of user feedback. In fact, we just did an update yesterday to redo our prot pally weights based off Theck's feedback (Maintankadin), added an option to not suggest belt buckles since a lot of users said they were too expensive, and so on.

Anyway, we're always looking to improve, so any feedback you have, let me hear it :)

I'd also like to add a few tools to the list:
- Gatherer (in-game mod)
- WoW Insider (keep up to date with my news)
- MMO-Champion Blue Tracker

bear tanks last expansion + some other things

it is good for a average user but have seen some stats wrong or over loving certain stats

and GG you search by name >.< thanks for response tho
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Supersoaker, there is a way to optimize only the reforges. It isn't as easy as pressing one button though, but it can be done. Load your character, then click on any gem or enchant slot, and it will open up a little window. It should list out the gems, and at the top there should be a lock icon under the gems and enchants. Click lock for each slot, then Mr. Robot won't touch those :)

As for the paladin, what spec were you in? The hit cap should always be 7.5% and the Exp cap 7.5%. However, if you're a tank spec, the Exp cap should be 15%. If you give me the char name and realm, I can take a look at your specific character and see what's going on.

The stat weights are generated by using SimC (a program that simulates boss fights). Basically, each stat is given a weight for how valuable it is. For example, if Stamina's value is 2 and Crit's value is 1, that's saying Stamina is twice as valuable as Crit. Then Mr. Robot does some math to figure out the best way to gem, enchant, and reforge. This is how he determines if a socket bonus is worth it too. Does that clarify things a little?

Ayssa, if you edit the stat weights to the ones you want to use, it should optimize you the way you want :) We provide a set of well-researched defaults, but a lot of people like to use ones specific to their current gear by using SimC values. You can edit the weights by clicking on the 'Edit Weights' button in the menu bar.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
10/18/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Zoopercat
As for the paladin, what spec were you in? The hit cap should always be 7.5% and the Exp cap 7.5%. However, if you're a tank spec, the Exp cap should be 15%. If you give me the char name and realm, I can take a look at your specific character and see what's going on.

This is Supersoaker. I went back to the site and went with the pve default build. The numbers I got for hit and exp were: Phys Hit: 7.34% MH Expertise: 7.5%

All fine and good until I went in game and reforged. What I then ended up with was: 8.59% Hit and 7.26% Exp. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or not factoring in?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Faction, I have a guess: Did you not change your cogwheels? Mr. Robot is removing your cogwheel, and the highlight on those is really hard to see. If you missed it, you're not alone.

If you do everything he says, it should match in game. If the cogwheel isn't the problem, let me know and I'll do some more looking around.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I did reforge to exactly how the Robot said and uploaded it with the armory, so you can take a look :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
WAIT!!!!!!! I DID change the cogs lol.
Edited by Faction on 10/18/2012 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Can you save your character and give me the link? Then I can see exactly what you see, settings and all.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Alright Zoo, I went back into the site, changed the cogs and everything is added up 100% correct. Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this for me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Np, happy to help. One person at a time :)
Reply Quote
Seeing as you are here Zooper.

Some positive feedback..

I Use Mr Robot & love it. I find the UI really simple and intuitive, which is one of the biggest advantages you have over your competition. From a Balance/Resto druid point of view I find your stat weights to be very close/the same to the accepted stat weights generated by other theory crafters. In saying that, I often spreadsheet my toon to tweak it, or do crazy things like decide I want a full mastery build. Mr Robot makes it really easy to do that & then pumps out results that are always optimal down to the last %.

So thankyou! :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Vrashnar, thanks for the kind compliments :) As for Resto druids, keep your eye out for updates. We're working on some healer stuff to improve it even more! A robot's fine-tuning is never done!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
OMG Vrash is a spreadsheeter?!?!!?! Can we be fwennnds? XD
Reply Quote
/nodness, I have a very basic understand of Wrathcalcs. I don't use it often, just when I think I am near a haste breakpoint. Hehe I would like that :p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]