Unable to cancel auto-renew after AP paid up

1 Undead Rogue
Is there a reason why when when we have fully completed the obligations of our annual pass (I am paid up via 2 six month subscriptions through Dec 15) and my gametime ends Dec 17, we are not allowed to indicated in advance our desire to not auto-renew our accounts?

In frustration that I couldn't cancel the auto-renew I changed my credit card on file to a virtual number from my provider that expired Nov 30 and then the battle.net interface told me i'd have to call customer service if I wanted my Diablo 3 account reactivated and access to my Tyreal's Charger account in Wow as if I'd failed to complete my financial obligations under the AP even though I clearly have completed them.

Calling customer support they said they believed that message was an error as it didn't look like anything had changed - but when I changed the credit card back to one that doesn't expire for a few years i still got that message.

I'm frustrated that a year into the AP Blizzard still hasn't managed to get it's technology solutions in a place where they can understand that people who have completed their financial obligations to the AP can change their subscription to not auto-renew.

I know Blizzard well enough to know their goal is not to trick people into not unsubscribing - but when I'm trapped with a 1-2 day window between then the AP will fall off my account and when my account auto-renews and it falls the week before Christmas you can bet I'm nervous I'll forget to unsubscribe.

Can I get an idea what Blizzard is doing to fix this problem if not this time - in the future?

Thank you!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Except that this isn't a technical problem. It's intended. Part of the contract was to keep a valid CC on file through the length of the contract.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
I don't have a problem leaving a CC on file as long as I can prevent the account from auto-renewing. You for instance can do that when not on AP by simply cancelling your subscription. if you'll notice - when you do that your default payment option in Battle.net (if not manually deleted) is still on file - but you will not auto-renew.

It's the auto-renewal portion I am frustrated with - especially if you consider how much attention to wow I'll likely be paying a week before Christmas during my 48 hour window to cancel an account I last paid for 6 months ago and last played almost that long ago.

I think my complaint is a valid technical one unless you can point to something in the AP contract that requires I be willing to have my account set for auto-renew right up until the last day of the AP.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I don't have a problem leaving a CC on file as long as I can prevent the account from auto-renewing. You for instance can do that when not on AP by simply cancelling your subscription. if you'll notice - when you do that your default payment option in Battle.net (if not manually deleted) is still on file - but you will not auto-renew.

It's the auto-renewal portion I am frustrated with - especially if you consider how much attention to wow I'll likely be paying a week before Christmas during my 48 hour window to cancel an account I last paid for 6 months ago and last played almost that long ago.

I think my complaint is a valid technical one unless you can point to something in the AP contract that requires I be willing to have my account set for auto-renew right up until the last day of the AP.
According to law, and how a subscription is considered under the law, you must maintain the subscription, and a valid method to charge said subscription for the duration of the contract. That means that to be considered a valid subscription under the law, not under Blizzard's definition of the law, you must keep the sub fully active and able to be charged for the duration of the contract.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
my suggestion to remember to cancel between the time your ap ends and your renewal date is

1. to immediately change your time to a monthly payment so if you do get charged past your ap its only for a month and not a large 6 month sub.

2. set a reminder to end your recurring payment with battle.net to pop up on the 16th of december.

the posters above me are correct that you wont be able to cancel your recurring subscription or remove all credit cards off the account until after the end date has passed even if you are paid up.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
Ok thanks for trying to help but I think you are aware that there is no law you can point to that "defines" a subscription. There are indeed laws that deal with backing out of financial commitments - but I am not trying to do that.

My point is I am not trying to cancel the AP, or my financial commitments as they have been fulfilled. I also have no prolem maintaining a valid source of payment on the account as I have done since I started wow years ago even when I have taken breaks.. My comments - perfectly valid for this forum - is i believe I should be able to prevent the account from auto-renewing.

If you can point to anything in the AP or US Federal law that makes it illegal to desire the ability to prevent an auto-renewal feel free to quote the text and don't just make assertions to that effect.

Otherwise my comments are meant as feedback to Blizzard - I am aware based on my previous conversations with Blizzard support on the phone that I will likely be having to camp the account in December to actually accomplish this goal. I simply wanted to provide hard-copy feedback for the community and Bliz that I felt this was making long-term paying customers unnecessarily jump through hoops to indicate they were not going to immediately reup in a few months. I can't fathom what would happen should I fall sick in December.

It just made sense to me that I should be able to unclick an auto-renew. Obviously it's not a problem for you because you don't have the desire to do that - but I would imagine there are folks who see my point - hopefully a few folks in Bliz will be some of them and this issue will be resolved in a future promotion.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
10/21/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Brainsrtasty
Ok thanks for trying to help but I think you are aware that there is no law you can point to that "defines" a subscription

You would be incorrect. While "law" may have been a strong word, the rules and regulations of the SEC are what Flats is talking about. They are pretty dang equivalent. Without a recurring subscription Blizzard can not count your account in their numbers, and if they did, they would actually be criminally liable (Fraud).

Therefor, that is why the condition that you maintain a recurring subscription throughout the length of the AP. You agreed to that condition, and consequently have to live up to your part of the arrangement.

<--- Mokti. ^.^
Edited by Ulazi on 10/21/2012 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
Ok thanks for trying to help but I think you are aware that there is no law you can point to that "defines" a subscription

You would be incorrect. While "law" may have been a strong word, the rules and regulations of the SEC are what Flats is talking about. They are pretty dang equivalent. Without a recurring subscription Blizzard can not count your account in their numbers, and if they did, they would actually be criminally liable (Fraud).
<--- Mokti. ^.^

Again, as I mentioned before my apologies if the original post wasn't clear but as I tried (perhaps inelegantly) to clarify above my concern and desire to provide feedback to Blizzard is really about the auto-renewal interface configs (or lack thereof :-).

In the interface that has existed pre-AP the only way to stop auto-renews is to "cancel" a subscription or put in a pre-paid card. I'm not sure your logic about Bliz having any SEC-related obligation to bill my wow account via CC to adhere to SEC reporting rules since had I chosen to pay for the last few months of my AP with a different method such as a pre-paid card there would be no requirement to put another pre-paid card on file to allow the account to auto-renew beyond the AP.

I know this because even though when I have had a CC on file for by bnet account, when I've used a pre-paid card in the past and my time runs out, Bliz doesn't bill the CC, my account just freezes. That's the behavior I'd like to have the ability to configure - requesting that my account be set not to auto-renew as it would had I paid for months 11 and 12 of the AP with a pre-paid card.

I also believe this is a valid analysis because that's exactly what the customer service rep at Bliz advised I should do if I wanted to be really sure (just put in a pre-paid card and then any future auto-renews would fail without another card. I appreciated his ingenuity but of course right yet I've not decided to buy months 13 and 14 so it doesn't work for me this time like a simple "do not auto-renew" button would for CC users :-).

Unfortunately since I used six month renewals I didn't have this option. I totally get that it is a result of the AP promotion being shoehorned into an existing billing interface - I understand that kind of technological limitation. I'm just hoping my feedback might allow a better system for the next commitment-based promotion :-).
Edited by Brainsrtasty on 10/21/2012 9:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If you want to post feedback, you should probably post it in general. No one besides other players and maybe moderators (who cannot forward it) are going to see it.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
10/21/2012 09:49 PMPosted by Evilsenate
If you want to post feedback, you should probably post it in general. No one besides other players and maybe moderators (who cannot forward it) are going to see it.

Thanks - I didn't post it in general because it seemed like it would be more on topic here and I didn't want to post off-topic billing issues in general. I'd be happy to move my feedback there if it's actually appropriate to do so. It seems like so many threads there get frozen for wrong forum I'm not altogether sure a comment on the billing systems would be welcome there - but if so I'd be perfectly happy for the thread to be moved there as I'm pretty sure i can't do so myself :-( and in the absence of being able to move the thread wouldn't want to be accused of cross-posting by starting another thread.

Ah conundrums :-).

In all seriousness though I appreciate those who responded - I just wanted to provide feedback in a more public environment than my phone call to support - maybe this wasn't the right forum after all :-/
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/21/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Brainsrtasty
I understand that kind of technological limitation

This is the point you are missing. It's not a "limitation". It is very much intended.

You cannot remove your subscription method until the Annual Pass has expired. You must leave a valid credit card on the account at all times, up until the very second that your Annual Pass has been fulfilled.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah.. The title of this forum is a little odd considering it is mainly to get help from other players with similar issues.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/21/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Brainsrtasty

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-annual-pass-faq#q15
Can I cancel my World of Warcraft subscription at any point during the 12 month term?
By taking advantage of this special promotion, you are committing to a 12 month World of Warcraft subscription. You cannot cancel your subscription until the 12 month term of the agreement has ended.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-annual-pass-faq#q16
Do I have to have a recurring subscription for the entire 12 months?
Yes, a valid recurring subscription must be maintained during the 12 month commitment.
Reply Quote
88 Troll Hunter
I totally get that it is a result of the AP promotion being shoehorned into an existing billing interface

That is not the reason. The reason was the same as every other promotion that every company everywhere has used. To get their numbers up. Part of doing that and being able to count it is to tell you that you can't cancel your recurring payment. The reason that had to happen was the SEC's definition of a Subscriber.

This isn't a technical limitation, or something being shoehorned anywhere. It was upfront and straightforward.
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
I know this because even though when I have had a CC on file for by bnet account, when I've used a pre-paid card in the past and my time runs out, Bliz doesn't bill the CC, my account just freezes. That's the behavior I'd like to have the ability to configure - requesting that my account be set not to auto-renew as it would had I paid for months 11 and 12 of the AP with a pre-paid card.

If you have a credit card on the account, it is always billed when the subscription expires. If you use a pre-paid credit card that does not have sufficient funds, the payment fails and your account is frozen. Blizzard does try to bill them though.

The requirement of a credit card on the account for the full 12 months was documented up front.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
If you have a credit card on the account, it is always billed when the subscription expires. If you use a pre-paid credit card that does not have sufficient funds, the payment fails and your account is frozen. Blizzard does try to bill them though.

The requirement of a credit card on the account for the full 12 months was documented up front.

Sorry - should have said "game time card" instead of pre-paid - I use the two interchangeably since I don't use pre-paid credit cards and think of gametime cards as "prepaids" but I guess given that some folks actually use pre-paid credit cards they aren't one and the same :-)

See: "Any qualifying game time added to the account may apply to the 12 month subscription requirement."

This means you in fact do not have to have a credit card on file for auto-bill past the AP time (which is different than not having a valid CC on the battle.net account - though that's not a problem because your WOW account will not auto-bill a battle.net-wide CC - you simply have to have a valid WOW subscription but that can be accomplished with gametime cards which when they run out simply freeze your account in good standing (so long as you are past the AP promotion period of course - otherwise obviously things go badly in a hurry :-), This is just the behavior I wish was possible for credit card users like it is for gamecard users :-)

Since the Customer service rep's recommendation was to switch to a game card to avoid this exact problem while on the AP - that pretty much confirms that valid current payment is required for the current time of play - but not necessarily a valid credit card for auto-renew (again different than the one on file for the overall battle.net acct).

Just doesn't work for me this time since I'm paid up through the end of the AP. But will keep it in mind for any future time-based promotions if the underlying interface isn't improved with regard to the auto-renew by then - thanks again everyone for the thoughts :-)
Edited by Brainsrtasty on 10/24/2012 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
That is not the reason. The reason was the same as every other promotion that every company everywhere has used. To get their numbers up. Part of doing that and being able to count it is to tell you that you can't cancel your recurring payment. The reason that had to happen was the SEC's definition of a Subscriber.

This isn't a technical limitation, or something being shoehorned anywhere. It was upfront and straightforward.

Got a link to any of this anywhere? I don't mean the part about them requiring the card to stay, I mean about the SEC stuff.

What you are saying is that everyone who pays for game time with game cards is not considered a subscriber? Everyone who pays for 6 months, then cancels 5 seconds later and plays out the 6 months, is not a subscriber? that seems far fetched.
Edited by Yindar on 10/24/2012 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
See thats where you are confused on terms.

"Any qualifying game time added to the account may apply to the 12 month subscription requirement."

that covers, that your PAYMENTS can be covered, fufilling that part.

The AP states that you need to have a card on file.. so the rep saying to switch to another card.. continues this.. the card doesnt have to be ever billed, or anything.. but it has to be there.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I cancelled my recurring subscription (which ironically was never charged) less than an hour after my AP ended on the 21st. Just set an alarm for that date / time and cancel it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]