'Artifacting' (I think) on Desktop PC

100 Orc Death Knight
Okay. My cousins aren't here so I might have to try it myself, which could be bad, but I'll try to see if there's anything looking uneven. Seems to be a fairly common problem.

That Intel site's automatic scanner thing says my Intel drivers are 'valid', so I assume they are okay. Got a video game driver downloading right now.

Huh. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver claims my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for installing it...
Edited by Soeroah on 11/22/2012 5:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I think I may have identified a possible issue regarding the processor's temperature.

I'm obviously not very technologically inclined when it comes to computer parts, but the processor's fan ought to be moving in some way, right?

How do I go about fixing that? x.x
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
Did you connect the fan power on the heatsink to the CPU_FAN or similarly named plug?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Yep. It was on the CPU_FAN connector, and after a few tests they told me to move it to the SYS_FAN1 connector to see if it would kick in there. It didn't.

In the BIOS I turned on the CPU Fan Fail Warning option, but it's not been doing anything. The computer seems to realise the fan is there, it's just not spinning.
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
Is this a stock fan that came with the CPU or no?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
It was in the box with the CPU, so I guess stock. I didn't buy a separate one.
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems like it's faulty.

Buy a third party CPU cooler. Hyper 212+ is being sold for $15 (after rebates) from NewEgg right now.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I had looked at that one after seeing a comment on a forum, but one of my cousins tells me that particular fan might have some issues connecting to my motherboard. I'll keep the name handy, though, so he can double check when he comes around.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Problem solved; the wires were slightly blocking the fan's movement. Removed them from the offending areas and it's running fine, Prime95 took about 20 seconds to get the processor temperature to 70 degrees where it used to be ~5 seconds to get to 80, so I'm confident in it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]