Role-playing, let's talk about that.

83 Blood Elf Warlock
That's right, let's talk about this touchy subject again.

For introductions,
I am known by character names such as Stitchmouth, Singularis and Ravidon (The main ones). Some of the Oldschool Hoofers might hate me or like me based on what has happened all those years ago.

I began role-playing around the autumn of '06 and joined Cult of Nerox, a rather colorful time with colorful people. The Hoof was Full and PvP drama was the norm. But since the turn of Burning Crusade and nearing the end of Wrath of the Lich King, role-playing, as we know it, ceased immediately.

Some say it was the griefers, some say it was the game, the blame goes on forever.

So let's be honest with ourselves.

Why do you or don't you role-play?

Do you want to help?

What could help revitalize role-playing back to the Hoof?

For me, I still role-play. I mostly stay on Wyrmrest Accord, but my heart is still here. I think of making a guild. A role-playing one, where I can help those interested in learning and or help those that want to sharpen their typing skills.

Too much time has gone by, too much nothing has happened. Those interested send me an in-game mail and I'll respond promptly.

This isn't the first and most likely will not be the last someone has tried to "Help" the Horde role-play scene.

I just hope egos can be set aside for this.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hey sky;
Remember me...? Feel free to whisper me in game and I can fill you in on rp for the good and what the cabal has going for this expansion. You're more than welcome to rejoin us; why hassle with starting a new guild when one already exists that fits your needs..? ;-)

<3 Bodua
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
rp is a lie!
Reply Quote
So is you being able to hold threat on stone guards. :-p lol "hot fix" lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ouch
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
lol
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
Sorry about that, internet went poof. I'll send you a tell when I can.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Let me know when u geeks meet up to RP so I can give all of you tickets to crunchland.
Reply Quote
How cute, globalwarmer. You're adorable. *tickle* so if you have tickets to crunch land I assume that you are captain crunch..? Eh? Too many kicks to the groin..? So you got bitter and named yourself after the sound your man bits made when you pissed off someone else in the horde..? Name the place and the time, I'd LOVE to RP while I kick your butt, too.

<3 Bodua

Ps: screw the tickets to crunch land. I prefer vector cereal. ;-)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Show 'em who's boss, Bodua!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Rp asskicking? Im in, ill be a vampire!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm on WRA as well, I'm from Lightning hoof, to be fair I was wondering what happened to the server. I started rping around the same time as you. On Lightning Hoof, a lot of the drama was pvp based, but also a lot of it was ooc based with people not staying ic and being overly attached to there character. But what LH had the WRA rarely does, is pvp fights for rp. If you're going to actually start this, send me a letter on this toon. Vershi Wyrmrest Accord.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
thats usually how i do it, why bother to get gear or be good at the game if your going to fight with /rolls, of course the issue with that is every warrior in the world would suddenly rp a giant !@#$%^- because they can 1 shot you
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warlock
Nerox saw "Cult of Nerox" in the OP and just had to post here. Nerox is still around...on a ten day Mists trial.

/cackle
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Rogue
Hi Stitchmouth. I've thought a lot about posting in this thread, left it for weeks, then finally decided I should post.

As the former guild master of Four Winds from Burning Crusade through Wrath of the Lich King, I did try very hard to keep the RP community going. I ultimately failed, and that is why it took me so long to post here. I don't want to bring down your drive and enthusiasm.

Instead, I'll post up here what I tried that did not work. As I was also Four Winds' webmaster at the time, I opened up two additional forums on our server. One was for anyone and everyone to come and RP at. To coordinate when the official forums got too hostile, to advertise new RP guild formings, new events, or to just socialize. That was Lands of Lightninghoof. I don't know why this one didn't work, other than perhaps its strength was also its weakness: it was one extra layer of communication, to those who called the LH official forums home.

The other forum few people knew about, because it was aimed specifically at the RP leaders of LH, and only them. This untitled forum allowed Alliance and Horde RP leaders to coordinate. At its peak, I believe there was a representative from every major RP guild on the server, which was at the time quite a few. However, while the initial momentum was great, nothing could ever be resolved in that forum. I believe it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

Four Winds also had a number of alliances with guilds. Notably there was the loose alliance between Cult of Luukos, Four Winds, and The Eternal Order, which I think everyone knew about. We were the "big 3" RP guilds, and thus our decisions affected much of the community. A mistake of mine here I believe was directing the Four Winds to improve from within, to the point of not being aware of the social issues Luukos and TEO were dealing with. We might have been able to do something. As it was, Luukos crumbling was like a tripod losing a leg. TEO falling apart much later did much the same.

Four Winds also belonged to an inter-RP-guild OOC channel which supported many of the smaller RP guilds of the time. While that channel lasted, there was at least a decent number of RPers on the server. Trolls locking the channel had some minor effect on the loss of this channel, but the real death of the channel was infighting between RPers. When a hobby you love falls apart, it's easy to blame its loss on someone else's shortcomings. "-Those- sorts of RPers", or something like it, preceded a number of statements during that time.

Still, the channel was successful for a time, and it has a spiritual successor in WeRP. I note that people still use that channel, and that's heartening to see. I am still of the belief that if an RP community is to be established again on Lightninghoof, it will start with an OOC channel and open-minded, helpful members.

There was more to the downfall of the RP community, but this is already long, and I'm trying to keep this to what I know -didn't- work for LH.

RP tutorial nights to some extent worked. They briefly upped the RP quality of those attending. RP tutorial nights also by necessity involved teaching those attending how to /ignore the inevitable troll, and how to develop a thicker skin.

I also think one of the biggest problems that Lightninghoof faces is the pain of remembering what we once had, magnified by the "Good Ol Days" phenomena. Wyrmrest Accord and Moon Guard are then the salve. A golden place where RP does happen. And successfully, those places draw RP leaders away from this server (I am one such, admittedly).

Why do you or don't you role-play?
I don't RP here, haven't in a year it seems. I feel the server with a few notable exceptions (special props here to Truenoir and Kelthuzadia and their efforts) is not conducive to an RP community anymore. Those people I come in contact with on the server, randomly or not, are mostly not RPers, or give me that "vibe". I extremely rarely see an MRP addon.

In contrast, on Wyrmrest Accord, the Four Winds are reviving. Four new RP recruits in two days, without even a serious effort put into recruiting. It is unusual to see someone -without- MRP, and standing in any major city tavern or inn has you inevitably surrounded by RPers RPing. I do RP there, and it feels good. I am not trying to carry the weight of justifying RP to others, or to show people how great it is. I just RP.

Do you want to help?
I believe that I'm too burnt out with trying here to help, but I'll watch this thread and see if I can offer any advice or insights. It's a huuuge burden to try to get LH's RP community on its feet again. Your Big Three, if you still want to do this are yourself, Stitchmouth, Truenoir/DSC (hi Bodua!), and Kelthuzadia. All three of you explore darker themes in your RP from my experience, so perhaps focus on that.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Rogue
*glances up* Wall of text, TL;DRs, Teal deers, "gaaaah"...all are valid reactions. ^_^;
Reply Quote
Shannondryl;
Great input. I agree that an extra set of forums is next to useless. In our guild, although I have attempted on a number of occasions to push guildies to the website, the results are always lackluster at best and always disappointing.
The revival of "WeRP" should be a key goal for us avid Hoof Rpers that are still interested in reviving the community. I like the idea of an OOC channel, so when I get online later I will be creating, "WeRPOOC" in the hope of getting us all to talk about our goals. We can use "WeRP" for actual RP, perhaps based in the Inn at Silvermoon..? Ideas regarding this would be outstanding.
I have take on the mantle of RP coordinator for the Cabal, since Truenoir will be busy with raid leading one of our progression teams. He will still be collaborating and participating, but most of the leg work will be mine to do. I have had a number of WRA players speak to me and add me onto Real ID recently, so I plan to reach out to those people to coordinate a strong effort to revive our community.
I also have plans to do another guest hosting stint on "World of Warcast." my plan is to have a conversation about this problem and to hopefully find some more like minded people who are interested in contributing to the cause.

Let me know what you all think and if you have any other ideas that can make this work!

Cheers,
Bodua Bregolis
Dark Regent & Confessor
<Dark Sun Cabal>
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Rogue
What I can say right now is I think you're on the right track with your event on Saturday. So far from my observations on WRA, There are 3 main recurring events available to those on the Horde side: The Earthspear Tribe hosts a storytelling night on Sundays in Thunder Bluff. There's a monthly Market, organized in Orgrimmar, over by the Huojin encampment, and the neutral Club Trix Underground Rave in Gadgetzan.

The market is a bazaar for crafters and those with GryphonHeart Items to hawk wares. Org on our server couldn't host this as it would get roflstomped by trolls, but perhaps Bilgewater Harbor might be a place to start something like that.

Honestly have no idea how successful Club Trix is, but it's a fun idea. The organizers have set up a music stream, shivtr account, and have advertising not only on trade, but also on wyrmrestaccord.org

Brill, back in BC, was our strongest claim to a thriving RP community. And the Saltheril's Haven nights I ran back then also received a lot of attention. So again, definitely on the right track with your event.

You should -definitely- contact Kelthuzadia as well. She is in contact with a number of the older RP community, and is also pushing to bring RP back to the server.

In regards to the OOC channel, the biggest problem you'll have is getting disparate RP styles to work together. Just telling people to keep it civil is not enough, they'll take criticisms of others to whispers or party chat, or keep things to themselves. A method of getting more people on the same page, and developing respect for those who aren't will eventually be needed. Also, my memory's a bit hazy on this, but wasn't WeRP the OOC channel, with a "WeIC" channel for IC?

Hope this all helps!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
>_>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]