Hunter DPS worthless in raids...?

5 Night Elf Warrior
You can panic now.

Class/Specs DPS rankings taken from World of Logs reports over the last 60 days . You will find hunters dead last out of all viable specs in the game by a large margin.

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/#7fvvh

Here is what the simulator says about patch 5.1:

http://simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html

Remember this is a tank and spank sim. Hunters will still be dead last on all cleave fights. So nothing changes come 5.1.
Edited by Arusi on 11/22/2012 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
DPS
http://simulationcraft.org/505/Raid_T14H.html

As Gear goes up, Our ability to compete with other classes on the highest level of play will go down.

Also, post on a hunter or people won't take you seriously.
Edited by Wydra on 11/5/2012 12:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Mage
Hunters as a class overall are somewhere in the middle to bottom of the DPS pack. This, couple with the fact that most of HoF are cleave fights, means we won't parse well compared to other classes if you're comparing #1 to #1. For example, I parsed #2 for Garalon, but was second last in my raid for DPS.

There's nothing you can do about it, but as time goes on the DPS checks get looser and looser. Gara'jal 2 weeks ago was a very tight DPS check, whereas now it's much more relaxed because people are more geared.

In a raid where you aren't on top, it's unlikely that you'll run into any DPS checks your raid can't meet with you in it. They don't tune fights so tight that you need top 40 DPS parses from everyone to complete them.

Also try not to get too excited about parsing top 20. Very few guilds have finished HoF, so there are very few parses. Normal modes mean little.
Edited by Magnolia on 11/5/2012 12:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
5 Night Elf Warrior
Edited by Arusi on 11/22/2012 4:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Mage
In a 10, unless you have a perfect raid comp we also can bring a buff, that is likely to be a reasonable rDPS increase.

You can run a 10 or 25 without Hunters, but a raid isn't hampered by one. Really if your argument is that a class behind in DPS is not worth bringing, all raids would be full of whatever class does the most DPS on a specific encounter, which clearly isn't reasonable.

If you have a problem with our DPS as a class, roll another class.
Reply Quote
5 Night Elf Warrior
Sure it's nice to have the slight flexibility in buffs but in reality hunters do not bring any buff that another class can't bring. You are over simplifying when you say just bring top dps classes. My argument is that hunters lack of dps (single target & cleave) is so immense that it isn't even remotely feasible to bring them if you are a hardcore guild pushing top rankings .

In my six years of playing this game I have never seen such a huge dps imbalance outside of legendary weapons. The worst part is it seems unfixable given hunters are the worst scaling and the buff needed to bring them up to par is unrealistic. Seems hopeless with rerolls inevitable.
Edited by Arusi on 11/5/2012 1:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
in my raid team im lucky to pull 40-50k dps,
we have a dk pulling 110k dps

how is this balanced?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
in my raid team im lucky to pull 40-50k dps,
we have a dk pulling 110k dps

how is this balanced?

How are you only doing 40-50k dps? I rarely raid, only fill in when needed or do alt raids and I pulled 90k on Elegon 10 as SV. Most other fights I'm in the 60-65k range. Sure other classes are much higher but you should be pulling more then what you are.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
At 90 it feels like the only reason you'd take a Hunter to a raid is for the Spirit Beast's Blessing for the 3500 Mastery buff, and even then you're better off PvPing currently as Beast Mastery.
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Mage
Sure it's nice to have the slight flexibility in buffs but in reality hunters do not bring any buff that another class can't bring. You are over simplifying when you say just bring top dps classes. My argument is that hunters lack of dps (single target & cleave) is so immense that it isn't even remotely feasible to bring them if you are a hardcore guild pushing top rankings .

6/10 of the top 10 guilds in the world have Hunters, so this isn't even close to true. If the game required such stacking for progression like you're implying, for Garalon you'd only bring Rogues, Mages, Warriors. But that isn't required, because nothing in this tier is that close of a fight.

Unless your 10 comp is optimal, Hunters bring a free buff. We run a roster of ~13 and I'm always filling our one missing buff.

11/05/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Arusi
In my six years of playing this game I have never seen such a huge dps imbalance outside of legendary weapons. The worst part is it seems unfixable given hunters are the worst scaling and the buff needed to bring them up to par is unrealistic. Seems hopeless with rerolls inevitable.

We're probably on average of 10%-20% behind the classes on the top. The discrepancy between DPS classes has been similar in the past, it just hasn't been with our class.

There are ~8 Hunters in the top 10 guilds in the world (some 25's have more than one). Midwinter is world 11th and they have two. It's more than possible to be progression and have Hunters in your raid, so you have no argument there. If you want to be at the top of every fight, roll a Mage.
Reply Quote
5 Night Elf Warrior
Edited by Arusi on 11/22/2012 4:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
You can't even begin to look at a fight with cleave, with strong/very strong cleave classes, and then compare them to Hunters. It doesn't work. We have little to no cleave.
Reply Quote
5 Night Elf Warrior
I understand that hunters have no cleave, balance is the issue at hand. You have classes that are potentially doing 100% more damage on cleave fights, then that same class also does 30% more damage single target... how is this not a problem? How is this even remotely balanced?
This is by far the worst average dps gap the game has ever seen including legendary weapons. Just take a quick glance at WoL on any given fight, the Hunter class is undeniably broken.
Edited by Arusi on 11/5/2012 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I agree with OP.
Talking about it here won't fix this though
Blizzard doesn't read these forums.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I dont think it's a good argument to make that cleave is balanced and hunters just need to be brought up to mage/combat rogue/frost DK levels.

These three specs are obviously much superior to everyone else when it comes to cleave. It's not a hunter problem, it's also a problem for disparate specs like Windwalker, Balance, and so on.

So either Blizzard buffs everyone or just tones down OP classes to a reasonable level.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
My dps is fine, I don't know what your doing wrong but something is definitively wrong. Start by posting on your actually hunter then, explaining your rotation, and your secondary stats so we can begin to clarify what is wrong.

Assuming you made this thread looking for help and not just to complain about hunter dps.
Edited by Aerothena on 11/5/2012 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
I'm pulling around 60k on bosses (sustained), but honestly i see some logs and i dont even know how am i expected to reach 80-100k DPS. Seems beyond me right now...
Reply Quote
5 Night Elf Warrior
My dps is fine, I don't know what your doing wrong but something is definitively wrong. Start by posting on your actually hunter then, explaining your rotation, and your secondary stats so we can begin to clarify what is wrong.

Assuming you made this thread looking for help and not just to complain about hunter dps.

This has nothing to do with my personal dps or your guilds bad dps, this is about hunters being 15-20% behind every class/spec in the game *average dps*.
Edited by Arusi on 11/19/2012 8:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]