Spirit / Mote of Harmony.

90 Night Elf Druid

When selecting two gathering professions, there is going to be some understanding that you won't be making gold from crafting, at least not on that character.

That's simply rubbish. I've been a dual gatherer on this toon for four years, long before SoH were even put into the game. I'm now penalized for a decision that I made years ago whne making gold was the furthest thing from my mind.

The fundamental problem, though, is that SoH are a solution where everyone suffers. I can't make my own gear because I can't send my SoH to my alts, I won't level my alts to 90 and grind out the reputation needed for the high end patterns just to make gear that will last a few months, and I sure in the hell am not going to buy that gear from other players and support a system I don't agree with. It's not a major drawback because gear is thrown at you from every direction anyway.

I have yet to speak with a crafter who has made a boatload of money off of SoH. I've heard tales but WoW is rife with tales, most untrue. All one had to do is look at the AH and follow trade chat to see the number of people competing in the market to get a sense if there is true demand for the goods. There's not.

So few if any people are making money off the change and everyone else suffers. GJ Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/07/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Goldenlotus
Your story does not seem to add up.

Maybe getting a few motes while killing mobs in the way of the nodes. Doubt if his gatherers are getting LOTS...unless he's killing Everything in the area. Then it's his own fault.
Edited by Vixie on 11/7/2012 5:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I hope they never go BoE, just BoA.
Reply Quote
11/07/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Goldenlotus
Just annoying is all i mean i have a herb / mining toon which means Harmony is pointless seems a waste is all.

You have to kill a considerably large amount of monsters to get one spirit of harmony, or get your rep up with tillers to farm them.

You're herb/mining character should have very few of these if any at all, if you are just using him for node collecting.

You should be farming these with your crafter, not your node collector.

Your story does not seem to add up.

Ever thik that they might be doing their 40 dailies a day? I often end up with 1.5 - 3 SoH by the time I finish all my dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm not really into making money. That being said, I'm not very interested in converting my SoH into Golden Lotus to sell; I'd rather be able to send them to my Engineer who can make a mount for me or my JC so she can learn cut patterns. Why does everyone say "Oh you can just trade in for Golden Lotus and sell it"? I don't want that to be my only option for SoH.
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Rogue
In my understanding one of the design intents of Spirit of Harmony was to get characters out in the world rather than camped at an AH. Presumably this must apply specifically to crafters since gatherers are already out in the world in order to gather.

Gathering is not only confined to node collection eg skinning.

If you almost entirely run one character, it’s likely it will be 90 and it’s likely you’re able to have a solid income of Harmony from farming and killing (healer concerns aside). With a single character focus, you may not have much interest in providing gear for your other characters.

If you for example had a warrior main with Mining and Skinning and you also had a Paladin Blacksmith, you may be interested in using your Paladin to craft gear for the warrior. You may be swimming in ore from the Mining and swimming in Harmony from either farming or just kill-based RNG drops. The ore has value to your crafter, but the dependency structure from Harmony being BoP requires you to either grind kills on the Blacksmith or level the Blacksmith to 90, become Revered with the Tillers and then farm in order to gather a material your warrior already abundantly possesses.

I’m of the opinion that there should be increased synergy for players with multiple characters and professions. I think Blizzard should encourage players to have multiple characters levelled as those players have more options to their game play and therefore more that’s likely to retain their interest.

Harmony as BoP, in my opinion, just feels like a very pedantic restriction for the sake that it was done with Chaos Orbs and Frozen Orbs and little else.

I want to bring my crafters into the game more, but right now, they’re camped at a mailbox because I feel I can’t effectively bring them into the game unless I can commit to a full 85-90 levelling plus daily grind. Harmony as BoA would go a long way to me feeling my alts had some value and I’d incrementally level them.

I like the concept that effort on your account benefits your account and I thought that was a design goal. BoP Harmony seems to fly against this and back to the old concept of advancing your characters in series, not in parallel.
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Death Knight
11/06/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Felu
As others have mentioned though, there is always a chance they'll become BoA or BoE in the future but no promises. :P

If the developers follow the same logical pattern as the past two expansions, the Spirit of Harmony will become a tradeable item. Remember when Chaos Orbs were bound to you?

Do you remember when Frozen Orbs were bound?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't really mind the motes being BoP at this point, but I feel pretty discouraged to craft things when the crafted epics are lower iLv than the revered rep epics (my main is a LW, so I'm talking from that perspective)... I doubt you can actually make good money out of crafting. We do lack lv90 green or blue PvE gears that we can craft, so the crafted epics are just the "Lv90 gear" happens to be purply and cost a lot to make and that's just about it.

So my view of Spirit/Mote of Harmony is basically a currency to get Golden Lotus for Alchemy work. Would it be better if they are BoE or BoA? maybe. At least in that way, I can consolidate all the motes and spirits I have across my alts; currently, have 27 spirits and 198 motes total... lol (And yes, the one toon who needs the SoH the most at this point, only have 3 on her)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

When selecting two gathering professions, there is going to be some understanding that you won't be making gold from crafting, at least not on that character. Making them BoP is a good way of showing others that, you as a crafter, have made an awesome item for yourself. If you plan on selling the crafted item, it allows you to raise the value and demand even more of a profit.

As others have mentioned though, there is always a chance they'll become BoA or BoE in the future but no promises. :P

The problem is that when your main has no real use for the things (I'm an herb/alch on this toon.) then you wind up with stacks of the things and no way to use them. Meanwhile, your blacksmithing alt could use dozens and gets 1.6 per day via farming once the farm is full sized.

Just as you did with Chaos Orbs, Spirit of Harmony is wrecking the ability of a player to have viable crafting alts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have 8 chars with all professions, most at 600. It would be nice to let my main here share out the 40-ish SoH in my bank but this forces me to actually level the alts to 90. Hopefully by then, the rep tokens will be in place and they can grow their own motes while picking up gobs from dailies.

Seems to be a calculated prolonging of this xpac's life, especially for players like me and I'm very happy with this gameplay. Yes, I want my sapphire kitty mount but I can wait. In the meantime, if I need a belt buckle or enchant there are guildies who leveled that profession (which my alt is still too low to make) on their main and there's always the AH. I made my mini-mall of alts to be independent in the middle of the night when nobody was awake and I needed a gem, but it's an MMO - there are people around all the time.

There will be patches. There will be changes. There will be adjustments. You just have to wait - it's only been like 6 weeks out of a two year expansion. Just play.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/07/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Morrigahn
lol i have zero sympathy for tanks and healers who already get extra loots and are in greater demand

I have to agree with this.

You get nice bags full of mounts, pets, and extras. Suck it.

I'm a tank and even I agree with him. We get a lot of incentives to do what we do. there is no reason we need more.

The only thing I wish I got more of as a tank is respect for making your queue times shorter :P
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/07/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Desarian
Do you remember when Frozen Orbs were bound

Frozen orbs were never soulbound.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/07/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Elnia
I have yet to speak with a crafter who has made a boatload of money off of SoH

Ive sold 5 463 ilevel weapons. 2 at 10k, 1 at 9.5k, 1 at 7k, 2 at 6k. I dont even bother with the epics or 450 pieces. Ill list another one tomorrow.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I have 8 chars with all professions, most at 600. It would be nice to let my main here share out the 40-ish SoH in my bank but this forces me to actually level the alts to 90. Hopefully by then, the rep tokens will be in place and they can grow their own motes while picking up gobs from dailies.Seems to be a calculated prolonging of this xpac's life, especially for players like me and I'm very happy with this gameplay. Yes, I want my sapphire kitty mount but I can wait. In the meantime, if I need a belt buckle or enchant there are guildies who leveled that profession (which my alt is still too low to make) on their main and there's always the AH. I made my mini-mall of alts to be independent in the middle of the night when nobody was awake and I needed a gem, but it's an MMO - there are people around all the time.There will be patches. There will be changes. There will be adjustments. You just have to wait - it's only been like 6 weeks out of a two year expansion. Just play.

This person understands perfectly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]