Blizzard: Just admit botting is a problem...

90 Pandaren Shaman
BANHAMMER! Let it swing like an old man's ..... well, you know.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
11/09/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
That's all I want. An acknowledgement that it's a problem and you're working on it.

Bot programs or /afk bot scripts are a problem, and we know it's gotten worse in Battlegrounds with the release of Mists. We're working with CS and the development team on this. It's unacceptable. We know it. You know it.

Yes!! Where is that dirty little panda that always says bots don't exist!
I want them to eat there words! I'm petty! :|
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 08:53 PMPosted by Goldenlotus
That is exactly why they need to focus on preventing bots from entering and playing bgs rather than cancelling paying customers subs because they use bots. Make botting impossible will make it go away.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who just use bots because they have limited time to actually "play." If they couldn't bot to level and gear up, it would probably take them months. I'd imagine they'd just get frustrated and quit the game.

This is how I picture Blizz's stance on botting:

Subs lost I.................O................I Subs lost

Insert player or bot on either side.Their goal is to just keep the ball in the center.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
I mean its really simple why...They want money and banning accounts would just lose money so they wont..Duhhh they will say ''We have been working hard to get rid of all the bots, and we do not condone the use of them!!'' but we all know its about the money and banning them is less.. sadface
Reply Quote
Put all the bots in the same BGs. The afkers/bots still get their honor, the legit players get to play without hindrance. Also it would be funny.
Edited by Skoo on 11/9/2012 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Im going to be a bit controversial here I guess. If something about a video game in 2012 sucks so bad (85-89) that this many people are botting, maybe take a look at WHY?
Edited by Nexumus on 11/9/2012 9:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
the cow afk icon cracks me up LOL.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/09/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Nexumus
Im going to be a bit controversial here I guess. If something about a video game in 2012 sucks so bad (85-98) that this many people are botting, maybe take a look at WHY?

Sad, but true. However, I also see TONS of bots in Valley of the Four Winds farming herbs on chars between 85 and 89 on flyers kinda skipping forward a few feet each second, so it's in numerous aspects of the game. Hopefully they can find some way to prevent bots from working or at least seriously hamper their progress, but honestly I'm not going to hold my breath. There will always be a new bot somewhere that can bypass a system.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Yeah, If you are caught botting, You should have no choice but to have the character caught botting deleted from your account, and the next time your caught permanent ACCOUNT BAN, Next time your caught, PERMANENT FACE SLAP, next time BOW DOWN and KISS THE FOOT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't understand why people bot, what's the fun of getting honor if you don't actually PvP to get it? What's the point of getting honot to get honor gear if you aren't going to actually play your character?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
11/09/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Gorillawarf
I mean its really simple why...They want money and banning accounts would just lose money so they wont..Duhhh they will say ''We have been working hard to get rid of all the bots, and we do not condone the use of them!!'' but we all know its about the money and banning them is less.. sadface

They don't have to focus on banning. They can focus on strict punishments. People have already suggested to put a 24 hr debuff on them where they can't enter a bg for 24 hrs or whatever after being kicked 3 times from a bg. That would at least help somewhat along with a type of capcha, as long as it's not one of the illegible string of number and letters, I can't stand those. "Hmm, is that I or a 1 or a l. is it an 0 or o or O" The battle would start before I'd be able to complete some of those types of capchas.
Edited by Sendji on 11/9/2012 9:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

Does not have to be just a picture of letterS. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX SILLY HUMANS.

/thread

Your underestimating the complexity these bots can operate at. Also it would be very frustrating as a player to have to do a test just to enter a BG, especially if I get it wrong and then can't get in the BG even though I am an actual player.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/09/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
Bot programs or /afk bot scripts are a problem, and we know it's gotten worse in Battlegrounds with the release of Mists. We're working with CS and the development team on this. It's unacceptable. We know it. You know it.

Like I said before, your method is outdated, it barely worked 5 years ago, why? Because the programs being used,scripts being run ISN'T rocket science.
Now, not everyone can sit down and whip up a program/script, but the basic ones (ie) *go to way-point 1,2,3,4,5, engage unfriendly* can be formatted thousands of different ways, and changing one line of coding can get a 'hot-fixed' running again.
If Blizz keeps to this practice (The Program/script is the problem) than things will never get better,EVER.
Even something so simple as, if you get kicked out of 5 BGs a day for being /afk you get a debuff that keeps you from entering for 24hrs.That would put an end to a good chunk of the home-spun botters and not effect real players (who goes afk 5 times a day?).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

Even something so simple as, if you get kicked out of 5 BGs a day for being /afk you get a debuff that keeps you from entering for 24hrs.That would put an end to a good chunk of the home-spun botters and not effect real players (who goes afk 5 times a day?).

People with lives? People who don't want to do X BG regardless of it being CTA because they have it blacklisted, or would like to blacklist it but don't have enough slots? People who get called to do something else?

Your solution is even worse.
Edited by Qaira on 11/9/2012 10:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

Does not have to be just a picture of letterS. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX SILLY HUMANS.

/thread

Your underestimating the complexity these bots can operate at. Also it would be very frustrating as a player to have to do a test just to enter a BG, especially if I get it wrong and then can't get in the BG even though I am an actual player.

You would get more than once chance.

People with lives? People who don't want to do X BG regardless of it being CTA because they have it blacklisted, or would like to blacklist it but don't have enough slots? People who get called to do something else?

If you go afk, then you should be leaving the BG on your own. Try again.
Edited by Sendji on 11/9/2012 10:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Any chance that you could just reduce the radius where honor kills are detected, nerf the honor/conquest gain from playing BGs, and buff honor from kills? You'd have the added benefit of encouraging world PvP and discourage bots from farming BGs for honor.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

I said kicked out for being /afk, not putting yourself afk.
If you're in a Bg and you're away from your keyboard long enough to get flagged and circumvent the auto going /afk for not moving or entering combat/guarding a flag... something is very fishy about your /afk-ness.
Edited by Touched on 11/9/2012 10:14 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]