Blizzard: Just admit botting is a problem...

90 Human Death Knight
I think a lot of people are assuming the bot problem is due to people wanting easy honor. I also think a lot of people are confusing botting with just being afk at the starting area.

The bots have evolved. If you haven't done a battleground 85-89 lately then you may not even realize what some of us are talking about. A few people being afk at the start or auto following is annoying, yes. But the epidemic is people botting pre-90 for exp, not honor. These are bots that can attack, buff, heal, and even defend flags. The untrained eye or someone unfamiliar with this type of automation may just assume they are bad players, and not even realize they are botting.

It's a big problem and I don't envy blizzard for having the burden of finding a solution to this while not accidentally banning the wrong players.
Edited by Nexumus on 11/9/2012 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
As a matter of fact, I don't know HOW they do it without some kind of spyware that detects what software someone is running on their computer. That's how botting has worked for years in other games unchallenged because the game company cant just scarn your computer to see if you are running a macro program or something due to privacy issues.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Gurlnextdoor
the cow afk icon cracks me up LOL.

moooooooooooove

xD
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I'd be down with Blizz scanning my computer for bots. I've got nothing to hide. They can be my big brother.
Edited by Sendji on 11/9/2012 10:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Personally I would think that banning the IP address of the person botting would be the best solution. This would cause those that buy another account to be used for botting to stop botting on any account. Though Blizz would lose out on money from 2+ accounts instead of just one.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Can you make players do a capchka or something similar that a real person has to do? Once they are in the bg to confirm that they are a player and not a robot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

I know it sucks for everyone else, but so does botting.

The day a captcha becomes available is the day I quit WoW for good. It does nothing but inconvenience a real player in the end because the person botting will just have to stop whatever they are doing for a second on the other screen to enter whatever the code might be. It will only work against unattended botters and that's the only thing that will stop. Also the farming bots will still gain xp and mats with no interruption. So a Captcha is useless for those bots.
Edited by Reactable on 11/9/2012 11:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/09/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
That's all I want. An acknowledgement that it's a problem and you're working on it.

Bot programs or /afk bot scripts are a problem, and we know it's gotten worse in Battlegrounds with the release of Mists. We're working with CS and the development team on this. It's unacceptable. We know it. You know it.

Thank you!

I hope you realize something as simple as this response goes a long way with the player-base. Silence, or a no-comment gives the impression that this is the way things are going to be from now on.

I've always liked PVP in WoW. It's had its ups and downs. It's never been exactly balanced, but I've always felt at least you guys were trying.

With all the rampant botting I've personally witnessed, and the stories and vids I've seen on the forums, and the complete lack of acknowledgement of the problem, I (probably like most of your players) assumed nothing was going to be done about it.

Keep in mind, if someone who is new to the game witnesses this and no comment is made by Blues for over a month -- they are going to assume that is the way the game is -- and likely quit (or take up botting themsleves).

I'm not saying this is reasonable or not. I'm just saying, that's the reaction you're going to get if you don't say something about it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
>1000 blue posts responding to bot threads talking about the tons of bots that get banned and the big problem that it is hard to catch them and root them out, all blues talking about the problem and the things they are doing to solve them.
>Herpderp blizzard doesn't think botting is a problem.

I don't- I can't- I just- What. .-.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Mage
11/09/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Cyprux

Bot programs or /afk bot scripts are a problem, and we know it's gotten worse in Battlegrounds with the release of Mists. We're working with CS and the development team on this. It's unacceptable. We know it. You know it.

Would like to see stricter deserter penalties. 3 kicks in 1 day = no more bgs for the rest of the day

ah no, The system already gets abused by some don't need a way to get it worce
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/09/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Fanahlia
Would like to see stricter deserter penalties. 3 kicks in 1 day = no more bgs for the rest of the day
Don't think this is a feature request thread.

It is a great place to provide feedback. Requesting features in hopes that said features would improve the game is providing feedback. Thus, this is the perfect thread for a feature request to help battle bots; posted in a thread about bots.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Mage
11/09/2012 10:21 PMPosted by Theuglieone
Personally I would think that banning the IP address of the person botting would be the best solution. This would cause those that buy another account to be used for botting to stop botting on any account. Though Blizz would lose out on money from 2+ accounts instead of just one.

ah No, 99 percent of the people have a dynamicly assigned ip Adresses. So lets say they do what you want and lets say a neighbor is botting and his ip gets banned. Many ISP's reset the Ip's at midnight. You get his banned IP . would you be happy? That is the problem with people that think banning a IP will solve anything. It just causes problems for the next person that gets that IP .

I have had it happen to me personal with a website, I tried to access a web site i had just been on and it said my IP was banned. waited a day after my ISP rest them again and it worked fine. My isp resets the connection at midnight every night.
Edited by Northernlite on 11/10/2012 12:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/09/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Zarhym
That's all I want. An acknowledgement that it's a problem and you're working on it.

Zar, I'm kinda upset with the fact that this thread wasn't closed as it violates the CoC (not using "attention-seeking" titles), but I do appreciate the acknowledgement of this problem.

(Seriously though, at least change the title. Don't bend the rules! D:)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
What I'd like to see is Blizzard kick some !@# and just ban the ones that they think are bots with what they have now. Then I'd like them to continue to ban the rest out there not in one large wave like they like to do which takes 10 years but in smaller ones to send a message to that community. Maybe create some fear in that community that yes you will get banned and maybe I shouldn't use this particular bot since it got me caught. I really don't mind writing more tickets if some action is taken so I see my efforts are worth it. Worse case scenario is this keeps going and more people just quit the game.
Reply Quote
Simple solution to fixing bots. REMOVE the feature to CLICK TO MOVE.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Make it so you have to do captcha before you queue, hahaha.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]