Azshara, Nazjatar city and the next expansion

90 Undead Warlock
We can safely assume that Queen Azshara will get her own expansion and her brief appearance in Cataclysm suggest that it may come sooner than later. She's the former queen of the Elves, the current ruler of the Naga, a dangerous and close servant of the Old Gods and is one of the most powerful magic users on Azeroth. And one of the great benefits of an Azshara based expansion can help shine some light on Alliance lore, mainly the Night Elves who haven't been that relevant since Vanilla (Aside from Hyjal).

But what will the setting of her expansion be? Vashj'ir's mechanics weren't too popular so we can probably eliminate an entire expansion taking place underwater. The Lost Islands may sound like good setting but there's a good chance the Cataclysm destroyed them all (the troll prophet in Kun Lai says that Zandalar Island is destroyed).

So what if Azshara, combined with the power of N'Zoth and the subdued Neptulon, rose a large chunk of the ocean floor and have it float above the sea? We've ran out of room for continents unless we get another Pandaria (It's always been there in lore, just hidden) so I think it would interesting to see something like Outland but with a more "natural" feel to it. Her plan? Revenge, conquest, unleashing N'Zoth, etc. Maybe another go at the Emerald Dream since Xavius was defeated (6.2 content patch!).

We get the best of both worlds here. We get the Naga and Elf lore for the WC III fans and we get a lot of original land that has a tons of room for creativity. For the two faction cities, the Horde can get a miniature Kezan 2.0 while the Alliance gets a Night Elf version of a miniature Dalaran thanks to Jaina kicking the Sunreavers out.

Similar to how the majority of Northrend is covered in snow yet all zones look different, not every zone in this new continent has to look the same:

Nazjatar City (The entire zone is the gigantic city)
Forest zone (Former underwater forest created for Azshara)
Dried up muddy zone of geysers (where a Well of Eternity is being made using that last vial)
Corrupted reef wasteland zone for N'Zoth and his lair
Canyon zone for both Faction cities
Salt flat with mountains (shout outs to the old Shimmering Flats)
Volcanic zone covered in ash since there was previously an underwater Volcano
Drained reef zone with crystals (Think Deepholm but outdoors and prettier)
Reply Quote
Possibly

I think it more likely the Legion is in the immediate future

Azshara may or may not make an appearance, as she kinda obsessed over Sargeras. I can see her bailing on the Old Gods in time for his return

In which case, during the next expansion, Azshara gets her own zone in 6.2, similar to how Ragbnaros got the Molten Front
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So sort of like the South Seas expansion? Seems like a pretty cool idea.

11/12/2012 04:26 AMPosted by Ceejay
Horde can get a miniature Kezan 2.0 while the Alliance gets a Night Elf version of a miniature Dalaran thanks to Jaina kicking the Sunreavers out.

Actually for an ocean themed expansion Kul Tiras would be the best fit for an Alliance capital. And Kezan and Kul Tiras have a history of trading with eachother and perhaps will cause some conflict now that Kezan and possibly more Goblin Cartels joined/forced into the Horde. Meanwhile the Horde are on Kezan and neighboring islands setting up strongholds the Alliance are landing troops in Gilneas and Kul Tiras since they are coastal nations and a good places for an ocean expansion do to them having a history on the high seas. At one part during the questing the naga could launch full scale attacks on Kezan and Kul Tiras and you have to help fight the attacks off. Then after the attacks on your strongholds you along with some Marines/Sailors board a fleet to sail into the south seas.

Then it turns night time and there is a massive ocean storm and lightening and rain just pouring down on your factions fleet. Everything is just a mess then bad goes to worse when the Kezan/Kul Tiras fleets meet eachother in the storm and you have a quest to man the ships cannons and destroy atleast 5 enemy ships. After you complete the quest to destroy the ships a cinematic starts that shows ships bombarding eachother in the storm with cannonballs raining down on ships and marines and sailors being blown off the deck into the ocean, then naga begin to jump into the middle of the entire thing and grab the troops who fell into the water and pull them to the ocean floor. I dont know if its possible to portray a player character in a cinematic somehow but it could show your character passing out as the screen fades off into the sky where you see flames and smoke with naga begginning to raid the destroyed ships killing/capturing all survivors.

Could then phase to morning where a fellow soldier is looking at you and just saying " Hang in there you are going to be ok, you are wounded. Whatever you do just dont look down..." Then flashes where you see a medic treating you then you look towards the ship and you see it is sailing itself through a thick cloud of ocean mist when you hit a beach on a jungle island. After they put you on a stretcher maybe and carry you to shore with some other wounded survivors and then it phases where a small camp is built and you wake up healed in a tent. When you wakek up you get a quest to take a small group of marines into the jungle to scout some of the surrounding area out and when you head out to scout one of the guys could say something like "Eh this is a weird place, i dont know if i want to be here much longer..." then you could come across what looks to be some sort of naga village but its abandoned. But one thing catches your eye, a spear with dried blood on it. You can see that there are also a pair of dog tags around it that show the symbol of his/her home nation/faction and their name. Alliance side it is a Dwarven soldier and the Horde side it is a Troll.

One of the soldiers mentions we should get the tags and scram before the naga return so you do that. You get the dog tags and run out of the jungle to the beach head outpost and you give the tags to your commanding officer who knows who the soldier is and says " He was a good soldier from what my other officers told me * sighs* Those damned naga probably got him during our fight with the Horde the other night when we were powerless to do anything."

I have more but that's some idea i have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well, they did say they had another idea for the 4th expansion but decided to scrap it and do Pandaria instead. Azshara/South Seas was probably the original plan, since we weren't really in Army-of-Light shape at the end of Cata.

Either way, with Anduin and Wrathion and Velen getting all excited I think Burning Legion will probably be next. Maybe they'll do Azshara after that.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I imagine that we will see Azshara at the same time as Kul Tiras. Most like scenario I can think of is Kul Tiras being under attack after their nation has floated away from the eastern Kingdoms, and has only now been found again, in Naga territory. The Alliance sends support while the Horde attempts to conquer it. Kul Tiras does NOT become lolneutral, but they are not in a good relationship with the Alliance due to Jaina's actions against her father.

There will be a lot of behind-the-scene diplomacy as the Alliance tries to convince Kul Tiras to go back on their side while the Horde tries to sabotage them. They don't want Kul Tiras on their side. They just don't want it on the Alliance's side. ANd of course, there will be a lot of Naga attacks to deal with at the same time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
On Kul'Tiras. I'd rather it be a whole zone kind of like An Alliance island we get. With some additional dailies/questing. Alliance only of course :-P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I imagine that we will see Azshara at the same time as Kul Tiras. Most like scenario I can think of is Kul Tiras being under attack after their nation has floated away from the eastern Kingdoms, and has only now been found again, in Naga territory. The Alliance sends support while the Horde attempts to conquer it. Kul Tiras does NOT become lolneutral, but they are not in a good relationship with the Alliance due to Jaina's actions against her father.

There will be a lot of behind-the-scene diplomacy as the Alliance tries to convince Kul Tiras to go back on their side while the Horde tries to sabotage them. They don't want Kul Tiras on their side. They just don't want it on the Alliance's side. ANd of course, there will be a lot of Naga attacks to deal with at the same time.

I wish we'd atleast see some Kul Tiras marines/ships in Pandaria. Not Kul Tiras itself but atleast see a few troops or something. But add the kingdom itself within the "South Seas."

But did they really ever "Leave' the alliance? I dont recall them really leaving but im not sure. If anything i think they'd only hold a grudge against Jaina maybe but they were pretty loyal to the Alliance and staunch supporters but we'll see if we ever see them i guess.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

I wish we'd atleast see some Kul Tiras marines/ships in Pandaria. Not Kul Tiras itself but atleast see a few troops or something. But add the kingdom itself within the "South Seas."

But did they really ever "Leave' the alliance? I dont recall them really leaving but im not sure. If anything i think they'd only hold a grudge against Jaina maybe but they were pretty loyal to the Alliance and staunch supporters but we'll see if we ever see them i guess.

They never left, but you can consider them to be AWOL ever since WoW began. Aside from some marines in Durotar who have been there for who knows how long, they haven't shown up anywhere else, probably because they have no interest to. Being an island nation lost at sea, they have most likely been extremely affected by the cataclysm, as well as now possibly being in the middle of Naga territory. And again, Jaina killing her father will not give any points for the Alliance.

Probably too busy to join the Alliance in Pandaria.
Edited by Resileaf on 11/12/2012 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I want the Azshara expansion to be delayed as long as possible to allow time for the Great Darnassian People's Purge which will clear Blizzard staff of all the writers who've made Nelf lore awful for the past few years.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
11/12/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Pikah
I want the Azshara expansion to be delayed as long as possible to allow time for the Great Darnassian People's Purge which will clear Blizzard staff of all the writers who've made Nelf lore awful for the past few years.

Plot twist; Azshara really was a good person all along, and actually had planned to trick Sargeras on Azeroth and had prepared a trap that would destroy him forever at the sacrifice of the entire planet!

What? They COULD retcon to this. Its not like they're beyond it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/12/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Resileaf

Plot twist; Azshara really was a good person all along, and actually had planned to trick Sargeras on Azeroth and had prepared a trap that would destroy him forever at the sacrifice of the entire planet!

Your apologism for monarchist atrocities is duly noted. We can talk about the Sundering once you're released from the reeducation camp.
Reply Quote

Of course Azshara is good. Our beloved Queen would never willingly side with demons.

Clearly, Metzen is possesed by the nefarious traitor Xavius
Edited by Spellestra on 11/12/2012 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
11/12/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Pikah

Your apologism for monarchist atrocities is duly noted. We can talk about the Sundering once you're released from the reeducation camp.

You DID notice I was joking... Right?
Reply Quote

She is too, I believe
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

She is too, I believe

I dunno, maybe its just the text but it just felt... Hostile. 0_0
You're probably right, though.
Reply Quote

She is too, I believe

Sounded like she was trying to be in character

Hence my response
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

She is too, I believe

Azshara probably disliked your post. >:)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I am inclined to agree Tyrathius on this. Azshara was likely meant to be 5.0 before Blizzard got the green light for Pandaria. Considering Pearl of Pandaria's hints that the Naga were actively searching for Pandaria along with Azshara hereself appearing in Cataclysm at the end of the Darkshore storyline seems to support this notion. However, I believe that, due to Mists of Pandaria being thrown into the expansion cycle along with the generally poor reception of Cataclysm, the expansion cycle got shuffled around. With Wrathion hinting at the Legion's return along with Anduin, Velen, and the Blood Elves all getting screen time in this expansion, it seems likely that the next expansion will be the return of the Legion with the Twisting Nether and its myriad worlds being the setting.

We also have confirmation that Turalyon and Alleria will be returning next expansion which further pushes that the return of the Legion is next. Also, considering that Metzen said that Sargeras would need build-up, I think it is plausible to have the expansion cycle have the ultimate defeat of Kil'jaeden and the Burning Legion in 6.0, have Azshara make her move after this in 7.0, and then have Sargeras show up in 8.0 by having both Kil'jaeden and Azshara contributing to his return.

Kil'jaeden and Azshara are comparable in power and could each carry an expansion as the primary villain, so I wouldn't be surprised if either of them showed up next, however.
Edited by Abal on 11/12/2012 12:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I think Burning Legion will be next expansion with Naga being the enemy on the side.

In Cata with the confrontation with the Naga/Faceless Ones and Neptulon and the uknown ending about whats going on in Abyssal Maw, I kind of think Neptulon got captured/or subdued and during Mists the Naga were just preparing but during the next expansion they will start to make their move on Azeroth with the confusion and panic from the Burning Legion.

Maybe towards the end of next expansion Azshara will reveal herself and cause some sort of chaos, to declare War on us all.

Not sure where her allegiance will lie.

11/12/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Abal
Kil'jaeden and Azshara are comparable in power and could each carry an expansion as the primary villain, so I wouldn't be surprised if either of them showed up next, however.

I agree.
Edited by Haely on 11/12/2012 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I still think that the only way Blizzard could pull off us mortals defeating Sargearas forever is by having him enter the Dream through the Nightmare in an attempt to convert its energies to create a portal powerful enough that he can enter Azeroth.

Our only option left is to enter the Dream, pass into the Nightmare to fight through the Corruption of Xavius and the Legion and collapse the Dream on itself and Sargearas, irrevocably damaging Azeroth but utterly destroying Sargearas forever. And kil'jaeden who would be present.

The Nathereziem then move on to consolidate their holdings and personal kingdoms in the Nether and other Legion controlled worlds, too focused on the power struggle of the Dreadlords to even consider going back to Azeroth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]