Azshara, Nazjatar city and the next expansion

100 Night Elf Druid
11/14/2012 08:23 AMPosted by Resileaf
Plot twist, Azshara has charmed N'zoth into him being her minion.

Reality check; N'Zoth is far, far beyond her level of power, and even her level of reckoning.

I can think of a few other contenders for the title of most powerful mage on Azeroth, but she's on the shortlist.

Don't be so sure she'll be 100% loyal to the Old Gods. The Old Gods themselves might even be OK with letting her act on a loose leash and attach herself to Sargeras, they have regarded Sargeras in the past as a useful tool.

There are no other contenders. At the point of the War of the Ancient Azshara was the most powerful mortal mage in Azeroth's history (that means no mortal who has come after is as powerful as she was), and her transformation in the Empress of the Naga only increased her power.

And she will be 100% loyal to the Old Gods, the Naga already are. She agreed to the pact, and she belongs to them now. Even if she wanted to betray them, she couldn't.
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight

Reality check; N'Zoth is far, far beyond her level of power, and even her level of reckoning.

I can think of a few other contenders for the title of most powerful mage on Azeroth, but she's on the shortlist.

Don't be so sure she'll be 100% loyal to the Old Gods. The Old Gods themselves might even be OK with letting her act on a loose leash and attach herself to Sargeras, they have regarded Sargeras in the past as a useful tool.

There are no other contenders. At the point of the War of the Ancient Azshara was the most powerful mortal mage in Azeroth's history (that means no mortal who has come after is as powerful as she was), and her transformation in the Empress of the Naga only increased her power.

And she will be 100% loyal to the Old Gods, the Naga already are. She agreed to the pact, and she belongs to them now. Even if she wanted to betray them, she couldn't.

Sounds like Deathwing 2.0, I really hope she is not under old god controll and retains her personality. As a side note I am the only one who is tried of the old gods.
Edited by Kazgro on 11/14/2012 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Death Knight

Sounds like Deathwing 2.0, I really hope she is not under old god controll and retains her personality. As a side note I am the only one who is tried of the old gods.

It depends where the Old God plot is going. Is there some greater purpose for them? Are we going to go to the plane where the Old Gods come from? Is there a king of the Old Gods like Azathoth in the Lovecraftian mythos?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

It depends where the Old God plot is going. Is there some greater purpose for them? Are we going to go to the plane where the Old Gods come from? Is there a king of the Old Gods like Azathoth in the Lovecraftian mythos?

They need to go away from the Love Craft mythos. I get they like it but they need to stop.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
11/14/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Dathrel

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say that you're a fan of the Old gods.
But really, the Old gods have been extremely faillible recently. How many times have their plans been foiled since the beginning of WoW's storyline? How many have we defeated and put back dormant? We've killed the end of the world itself, and you mean to tell me that there is absolutely no way that Azshara is smart and strong enough to break an Old God's control?
I will respectfully disagree with you. The Old gods may be unkillable, but they are not the strongest beings on this planet, as we have proven time and time again. They CAN be beaten. They have been before, they will be again.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/14/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Dathrel

One thing is certain about Queen Azshara: she serves only herself. Of course she's going to accept a deal to save her life before calamity strikes. She may have turned to madness, but she's not foolish.

How am I certain about all this? Pay close attention to the quest lines in Vashj'ir. Lady Naz'jar makes a declaration at the end of the Battlemaiden quests that soon they would conquer the seas, and then they would "look beyond."

Now, take into consideration that the old gods want to destroy all life on Azeroth (think Deathwing's ultimate goal in Cataclysm). Queen Azshara is extremely vain and I think it's safe to assume she savors being worshipped...so why on earth would she want to see all life eradicated, when she could rule over Azeroth?

There's a conflict of interests between Azshara and the old gods. Besides, during the Vashj'ir quests, Lady Naz'jar calls the minions of the old gods their "allies."

Is it possible Azshara commands her own will? I guarantee that this is so. Azshara has only been about herself. When it comes down to brass tax, the will of Azshara will dominate over the will of some sequestered old god. We see this already in the game, as the Naga actively worship and idolize Azshara, not Neptulon or any of the old gods.
Reply Quote
I share a similar outlook, Wensicia

Azshara is only looking out for herself. She capitalizes on oppurtunity

-Joining the Legion? No brainer
-Joining the Old Gods and not dying? Again, no brainer
-Wresting control of the seas from Neptulon? She's Queen Azshara. She's not about to bow to -anyone-

Azshara is an oppurtunist. She's a reactionist. Azshara does whatever Azshara wants to do, as long as it benefits Azshara.

The second it became clear the Old Gods and Deathwing were going to lose, Azshara cut her ties. She stands to be the greatest threat to the mortal races on Azeroth, and she has the power to make her vision a reality. As far as she's concerned, she owns the dang planet already, and we're all just a bunch of transients.

She may have even been planning her rebellion from the Old Gods during the events of Vash'jr/Darkshore. I can see her planning that far back.

Soon as the Legion shows up, assuming it's the next expansion, Azshara will return to her alliance with Sargeras and show her true colors. We'll either have to kill the same way we dealt with Ragnaros, or she'll abandon ship when her cause seems lost, and lick her wounds for her next evil plot

At which point, I direct you to this video of Azshara threatening Tyrande:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUpxmlZ2hyM
Reply Quote
I do wonder how well she's adjusted from being an ultra beautiful NE to a not so beautiful Naga.

We can probably add monumental self loathing to her delightful set of character traits. The NE especially have to go now because of this. It's the jealous Queen from Snow White on steroids.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I do wonder how well she's adjusted from being an ultra beautiful NE to a not so beautiful Naga.

We can probably add monumental self loathing to her delightful set of character traits. The NE especially have to go now because of this. It's the jealous Queen from Snow White on steroids.

Azshara is perfect. Azshara cannot be anything less than perfect.
That is probably what has been going on in her mind all along. Its highly doubtful that she's had any other reaction than this.

If she has been turned into a Naga, then obviously it means that they are the most beautiful creatures on the planet, since she is one. How could it be anything else? Its unconceivable for her to think anything else.
Reply Quote

That is probably what has been going on in her mind all along. Its highly doubtful that she's had any other reaction than this.

If she has been turned into a Naga, then obviously it means that they are the most beautiful creatures on the planet, since she is one. How could it be anything else? Its unconceivable for her to think anything else.

Ok. But that still means the NE have to go. Because they are inferior and disgusting reminders of her less perfect self.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

That is a good possibility.

Another that I think might be a good twist to the story is that Azshara takes on an attractive appearance when she interacts with players. If she used magic to manipulate others then why would she stop. For an analogy consider Sauron in the Lord of the Rings, the books not the movies. He took on an angelic form in order to decieve others. If Azshara were use similar tactics in order to influence and mislead the factions it might make her a much more personal enemy. And, like Sauron, her true appearance would be more along the lines of a monster.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

That is a good possibility.

Another that I think might be a good twist to the story is that Azshara takes on an attractive appearance when she interacts with players. If she used magic to manipulate others then why would she stop. For an analogy consider Sauron in the Lord of the Rings, the books not the movies. He took on an angelic form in order to decieve others. If Azshara were use similar tactics in order to influence and mislead the factions it might make her a much more personal enemy. And, like Sauron, her true appearance would be more along the lines of a monster.

I imagine that you mean Azshara as a Naga, seeing as we already know what Azshara as a Night elf looked like.

I would imagine that Azshara could disguise herself to interact with and fool players, but I don't know if she'll bother. With a villain like her, you need to make her presence known, but without ever showing her directly. You have to feel her hand everywhere, but never see it.
Much like the Old Gods, actually (before N'zoth. Maybe N'zoth just is the least subtle of the Old Gods, for all we know.), but in a more... Grand way. Where the Old Gods had their presence felt oppressive on the emotions, Azshara's presence should be plain oppressive, with everything about her being grand, massive, oppressive. Remember the giant Night elf statue in the zone Azshara? If it wasn't broken, I bet that it would be intimidating just to look at it, let alone being underneath it. I'd like the stuff about Azshara to be similar to that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I like all of the input I’ve seen so far, particularly what you’ve had to say here, Spellestra. Though I very much want to see Azshara have her own expansion, not only because she’s my favorite villain in the story, but I’m convinced there are many reasons to allow for it. Consider also the introduction of Duke Falrevere, the exploration of Kul Tiras, meeting up with the other Goblin Trade Princes, her custody of Neptulon and her possession of his trident, etc.

I think Azshara used Deathwing just as much as she made use of many other of her servitors, from Xavius (who was convinced he was manipulating her), even to Sargeras’ own minions. Azshara has a way of wrapping people around her fingers and getting what she wants. I’m convinced there’s some connection between Illidan and Azshara, or why else would Lady Vashj have so readily joined with Illidan in Outland?

Azshara and Deathwing are both insane, but Azshara is cunning and calculating. Deathwing just wanted to destroy with absolutely no rationality behind his motives. In this, he could have perfectly accomplished the will of the old gods. What if he had come very close to wiping Azeroth of all life? I’ll bet anything Azshara would have intervened. Again, conflict of interests.

I like the description concerning Azshara in her Naga form, that she still has her beautiful elven face, even if the rest of her is monstrous. There’s still some connection there to what she was in the past, but the monstrosity she’s become perfectly reflects on her as a character, that she’s always been a monster. She’s unlike the villains we’ve seen come and go in Warcraft, those that have had some good in their past. As far as we know of Azshara and her story, she has always been vain and manipulative, even at the expense of millions of lives.

Danseis, Sauron was in fact an angelic being himself, so taking on the form of a fair elf would probably be nothing for him. I imagine Azshara could possess similar powers. Go about as a beautiful Night Elf, deceiving and seducing many. Just like the Naga from the quests over in Twilight Highlands. She appeared as a Night Elf, until she revealed her true form.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
11/18/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Wensicía
Danseis, Sauron was in fact an angelic being himself, so taking on the form of a fair elf would probably be nothing for him. I imagine Azshara could possess similar powers. Go about as a beautiful Night Elf, deceiving and seducing many. Just like the Naga from the quests over in Twilight Highlands. She appeared as a Night Elf, until she revealed her true form.

Exactly what I was thinking.

There is a senario I have in mind that would work best with Azshara in it, but to be honest its an idea that I'm ripping off from Babylon 5.

In that series there is a character named Michael Garabaldi (sp) who in the fourth season is captured by an enemy and brain washed to help the enemy uncover a conspiracy that was threatening them. My idea would be to include something similar for Maiev Shadowsong. When she was captured by Illidan one of Azshara's agents adjusted her personality. Not a total brain wash or reprograming, just heightening of certain parts of her nature; more suspicious, more distrustful of Tyrande and Malfurion, more hostile towards non-Night Elves, and more vengeful.

In this story senario Azshara's goal was to put Maiev in a position divide the loyalties of the Night Elves; turn them against each other and the Alliance. Also Azshara wanted Maiev to act her scout and bring her as much information back about the rest of the world as she could find. In the end, this is from the Babylon 5 series, Azshara meets with Maiev, thanks her for her help, and then releases her. The reason being, Azshara got what she wanted from Maiev and doesn't see a need for her anymore, nor does she feel like killing her. Maiev would be allowed to remember everything, and return to her people if wished. Though as Azshara tells her with a last sneering laugh, they may not be so happy to see her.
Reply Quote
99 Undead Priest
I actually didn't mind the Vashj'ir mechanics so much, but if it bothered a lot of players we probably won't see an underwater expansion (which is a shame, IMO). I guess Azshara raising the sunken lands might be one way to get around this, though lore wise it'd be a questionable decision on her part; after all, the naga are presumably stronger underwater.

As has already been said, the next expansion will likely be Legion themed. I'd prefer Azshara myself, but I'm sure it'll be pretty cool whatever form it takes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I think a Legion expansion would be a nice break from all the old god-themed stories going on. Most people are convinced that's next. I'm sure it will be very cool no matter what.

I don't see a problem allowing for maybe one underwater zone, but an Azshara expansion certainly doesn't have to be completely underwater. I'm of the personal belief that she will raise Nazjatar to the surface, or that somehow this will be accomplished. There's Kul Tiras, the Goblin Trade Princes, and all sorts of surface-dwelling factions and locations available yet.

I'd love to see Maiev take a more active role in-game, and your scenario does sound pretty cool. It gives Maiev a huge amount of screen time as it were. Maiev certainly has no love for the Highborne, but whether or not she knows or realizes that Azshara is alive and well (depending on if she understood who Lady Vashj and her Naga were), it might be different. Remember that a lot of the Night Elves had no idea that Azshara was behind the Legion invasion, or that she had any magical powers at all.

Either way, more screen time for Maiev would be awesome.
Reply Quote
I think a lot of that had to do with the fact Azshara had the entire kaldorei nation under her thrall, save for the priesthood, and Malfurion because he was a weirdo
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Azshara could be built into the Legion story somehow, but I'd hate to have to bounce between Nazj'atar on Azeroth and Caught Somewhere in Time in the Twisting Nether. It'd be Cata zones all over again, which felt disjointed, to say the least. The problem with Azshara and the Naga as the primary villains of an expansion is they don't really have anybody else important to throw at us besides N'zoth.

And I'm sick and tired of Old Gods. They just seem like a cheap plot device to make NPC's go crazy so we can kill them for loot.
Reply Quote
It's why people are kinda dissappointed about the Klaxxi and Sha

Though it makes sense, the Klaxxi and Mantid worshipped the Old Gods... and pretty much admit that when the Old Gods return, we're going to either have to join or fight them. It's totally in line with the overall Old God-Aqir storyline, but we're tired of Old Gods
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]