WTB...

10/27/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Crithto
We're not sure if we'll be doing this. The tome worked out well enough for Wrath of the Lich King as an experiment, but so much of the experience we spent a lot of time and effort shaping in Pandaria is negated by flying. In addition to the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794350230"]upcoming reputation changes[/url] for alts (when a character on the account hits Revered), we'll consider other methods of potentially speeding up the leveling process for alts, but we don't think "allow flying" is necessarily the best answer.

This answer is only meaningful in a game where no flying mounts exist. The vast majority of players want to get to the next new level cap ASAP. Not take in the sights at a grueling pace, especially on each new alt they make.

While I think it's important for you guys to create an immersive gaming experience where questing is an integral component of that, you simply cannot have your cake and eat it too. EVERYONE knows that end game is where the game starts to matter, so getting through that questing grind is crucial. At some point you will have to either abandon the level cap increases or stop trying to differentiate between leveling and 'end game' content.

Otherwise people will continue to make threads like this asking for ways to get to flying mounts faster.

TLDR: People want end game characters, not level grinds.
90 Night Elf Druid
10/27/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Judgernaught
Run dungeons and battle grounds all the way to 90, purchase flying licence, /rude to devs, fly away laughing.

screw doing battlegrounds 85-90....all I see is groups of 89 warriors twinked to hell and just smashing everything >.>
90 Orc Warrior
We're not sure if we'll be doing this. The tome worked out well enough for Wrath of the Lich King as an experiment, but so much of the experience we spent a lot of time and effort shaping in Pandaria is negated by flying. In addition to the upcoming reputation changes for alts (when a character on the account hits Revered), we'll consider other methods of potentially speeding up the leveling process for alts, but we don't think "allow flying" is necessarily the best answer.

Once you get a level 90 xp bonus from 85-90 is 50% faster with a purchasable tome that can be 1g-20k idc just make it happen!!!
90 Pandaren Rogue
10/27/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Sòb
I don't fully understand why we can't fly to start out, if you want to get immersed in the world there is nothing stopping you from riding a ground mount. Don't punish those who just want to get it done. I have no desire to see the same content 9 times on a ground mount.
the upcoming reputation changes for alts

This can't happen soon enough. Hell, forget the alts - I'm not doing any more Golden Lotus dailies on my main until this happens.
90 Undead Mage
We're not sure if we'll be doing this. The tome worked out well enough for Wrath of the Lich King as an experiment, but so much of the experience we spent a lot of time and effort shaping in Pandaria is negated by flying. In addition to the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794350230"]upcoming reputation changes[/url] for alts (when a character on the account hits Revered), we'll consider other methods of potentially speeding up the leveling process for alts, but we don't think "allow flying" is necessarily the best answer.

Fantastic. Are you guys seriously trying to kill off alts?

The rep changes at revered is still garbage. It will still take WEEKS just to open up the valor gear.

The double valor once capped is complete garbage too. As of now unless you are playing a minimum of 2-3 hours EVERY DAY you will be lucky to get 2 days worth of double valor on your alt, assuming you pained your way to even get to 90 on your alt to begin with.

Once people starting hitting revered/exaulted with reps on their mains it's going to suck to realize they they are still needed to cap valor on their main. This whole system is garbage, and you are just making it worse on alts.

Don't give me this crap either that valor is just a gear filler for those raiders. Everyone wants to progress their gear regardless if they raid or not, and for some it's the only means to get current tier gear. I'm an occasional raider, can't raid with my guild as much as I would like but to try and do this on an alt is just not worth it.

Bots? no bot levels a toon to 90 THEN turns around and bots an 85. Most bots only have 1 character, waiting to be deleted before rerolling another to max level to farm. Fly at 85 ON ONLY ALTS does not benefit bots one bit.

Sincerely,

One pissed off long time player.
Edited by Cuthgar on 10/27/2012 9:11 PM PDT
90 Troll Shaman

With all due respect, your argument is a bunch of baloney. One time through is enough - I really don't look forward to leveling my other 10 alts through Pandaria. And saying that "oh, the WotLK tome was just a mere experiment and so it doesn't mean all that much, and (yada yada)". That thing was an absolute godsend. It was great. It worked very well.

And to all you anti-altoholic busybodies: You wouldn't have to buy it. If you want to be all masochistic, fine. Just leave the rest of us out of your utopian dreams.
Edited by Alayea on 10/27/2012 9:19 PM PDT
90 Troll Druid
My 2c on the subject: Give us a tome of panda flying, but set it to level 88.
I fully agree flight negates a lot of the leveling experience, and I really don't think it's necessary at all, but if you put it in at all it should be for 88+.
Flying in Townlong doesn't really hurt the quest-flow too much and Dread Wastes largely feels designed around flight (90 dailies and such). This makes it similar to WotLK design, where you level into flight and get it in zones where it really becomes a strong questing utility.
Edited by Melenkor on 10/27/2012 9:22 PM PDT
90 Worgen Rogue

Why don't the new BOA pants go to level 90?
90 Worgen Death Knight
We're not sure if we'll be doing this. The tome worked out well enough for Wrath of the Lich King as an experiment, but so much of the experience we spent a lot of time and effort shaping in Pandaria is negated by flying. In addition to the upcoming reputation changes for alts (when a character on the account hits Revered), we'll consider other methods of potentially speeding up the leveling process for alts, but we don't think "allow flying" is necessarily the best answer.

is a movie fun the 5th time you watch it? or book when you read it the same number?
90 Human Death Knight
so much of the experience we spent a lot of time and effort shaping in Pandaria is negated by flying

What exactly do you mean? You blues keep using this argument, but I'm really not sure what you mean. Is it really so important that we go thru those curved bridges over and over again? Sure they look awesome. But I did all Cataclysm questing on a flyer, and I didn't miss anything. On the contrary, since I could go faster, I traveled, explored and saw a lot more. On Pandaria, when I need to travel, I do what I did on vanilla. Get a flight path and alt tab. If I could fly by myself, I would need to look around while doing it.
90 Human Paladin

this makes me sad :(

Leveling is just fine. It takes like no time to hit lvl 90 from 85. I already have 2 lvl 90s & an 88 Monk... I have 14 alts 85+ & I just wanna fly :(

But not being able to fly on alts sucks. I get having to wait and go through it all on my main but why not let my alts fly? There is no difference in if I had just lvled through pvp or instances and went back @ 90 to do the quests. I have already done all the quests as they were meant to be done.

I just do not understand why...
Edited by Kaelestia on 10/27/2012 9:52 PM PDT
63 Draenei Shaman
but we don't think "allow flying" is necessarily the best answer.

Slower leveling doesn't = appreciating the scenery. We've seen it now. Either allow flying or cut the XP down a ton. Thanks

-someone who has three 90s and still has alts to level
90 Undead Mage
10/27/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Kaelestia

this makes me sad :(

Leveling is just fine. It takes like no time to hit lvl 90 from 85. I already have 2 lvl 90s & an 88 Monk... I have 14 alts 85+ & I just wanna fly :(

But not being able to fly on alts sucks. I get having to wait and go through it all on my main but why not let my alts fly? There is no difference in if I had just lvled through pvp or instances and went back @ 90 to do the quests. I have already done all the quests as they were meant to be done.

I just do not understand why...

I've come to the conclusion they are doing what they feel to keep customers from unsubbing in-between content. It's the world of grindcraft. Even the smallest things now take more time to do.

PvP vendors? yes, lets move them out from the city and make people waste some time having to fly to them.

Have group will travel? oh hell no. we want people spending time flying to where they need to go. Crafting? haha, no, they can't do that in just org anymore. They will need to kill 100's of mobs!

What about people with alts? Oh man, we better make sure it's just as painful for alts as it is for mains! lets throw in some "small additions" like double rep from nothing to almost nothing, and when most people aren't capping valor til the end of the weekend, lets throw them double valor for their alts! Lets not allow flying until 90 either. That will really slow people down.
90 Human Death Knight
10/27/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Judgedredde
make it the reward for doing pandaria loremaster

I like this.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Ugh . .they wanted to kill off alts ...they succeded .. I have two toons at 90 and simply cannot bring myself to get the rest to 90.

The panda leveling grind is horrible, twice is enough.

As for them rep grind .. forget it . .I wont even do them once, I simply find rep grinds to be abhorrent and only do them if its an absolute must.

The flying thing ...meh this toon sits in Two Moons and doesn't leave .. so no point in grinding for flying on more than one toon any way.

You made it stupidly grindy to kill off alts . .grats you succeeded I do wonder if the price was worth it.
Edited by Shixa on 10/27/2012 10:13 PM PDT
71 Undead Death Knight

The tome was nice but yeah I agree.... I think not allowing flying until max level is a good idea. It takes me back to the days when I ran every where until lvl 30. I got to know the land, the mobs, and it's quirks quite intimately. Granted it was a pain running to avoid mobs (and at times quite exhilarating) but getting a mount at lvl 30 was something I really looked forward to and worked hard towards. Same with flying at lvl 60 (I believe it was 70 originally but I'm not sure on that). Point is, we've gotten spoiled being able to fly early, in every zone now, etc. Doesn't hurt us, though it does make some whine like a 2yr old being told "NO!", to wait until max level for convenience and joy. Anticipation and working towards goals like that are good things in games worth playing. IMO.

*has 1 lvl 90 and is slowly leveling the others ( 4 other alts btx 85 and 88 - multiple lower than 75) as I explore the content, scenery, and story lines - am NOT in a hurry to get to the end. The content is not going to run away and disappear while I take my time. As the NPCs keep saying "Slow down. Life is to be savored.". :)
Edited by Theoldman on 10/27/2012 10:13 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
10/27/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Baeloro
We're not sure if we'll be doing this.

This answer is only meaningful in a game where no flying mounts exist.

I agree with this assessment, even if I disagree with the rest of your post. Given that flying is in the game I think the better answer is for developers to take advantage of that fact rather than viewing it as a hindrance. It would be nice to see quests designed in such a way that they aren't negated by flying. I can think of a couple of level 90 daily quests that were clearly written and designed from the PoV of no flying mounts ignoring the reality that the first thing most (albeit not all) players will do is get flying once they reach 90 and thus negate 95% of the effort involved in the quest.

TL;DR the right answer isn't penalizing players who want to fly; it's improving quest design to accommodate them.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]