Farewell WoW, MoP = RIP

Here is my problem. My guild lost a tank do to real life things, so our raid group is stuck waiting for a tank. I plan on leveling my druid or tank and heals, since that is what we lack. However, I dropped my druid this xpac for a mage. So these 2 months since the game has been out, I have been working on this toon. Doing dailies and raid finder when I have the time....getting valor etc.

Now...the problem...it will take me like another 2 months on my druid to get the gear I need for raiding. By doing dailies, raid finder and dungeons. Raid finder you can do once a week. Dungeons only work to a certain point...but then the best gear upgrades after those are really from raid finder and fractions/rep and then Valor points. So technically you do get stuck if you do not do your dailies. Plus you LOSE the chance to reroll if you do not have a gold coin. So raid finder...you technically could always lose right? As long as someone has that extra coin to reroll?

So really in my opinion you are stuck doing dailies in the end. Since that is where the best gear really comes from. Right the last boss in a heroic dungeon has a .000001% chance to drop an epic. Well I have been farming Sholomace for the epic staff. I did it for about 2 weeks every day, it never dropped once nor any purple epics.

I just feel like in some ways gearing up is really time consuming. I am just not sure if doing content and gear/valor was a good mix...it is fine for rep. But at least mixing valor and coins...and content...I don't know, the balance doesn't feel right. I do want content yes and I do want to be rewarded for it, yes I do. I think it is more of an overwhelming feeling or I understand what they were trying to do...but I don't know if it works too well. Especially if you have another toon you need to level and gear. Granted the extra rep will be nice...but I feel like that isn't enough...
Edited by Darexios on 11/14/2012 9:27 AM PST
87 Undead Rogue
11/14/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Boogar
I am not even to 90, and I just really don't care to finish MoP. If I wanted to play Farmville, I would play Farmville! These Quests are dull. I am going back to WotLK. My husband cancelled his account. My son will be following suit for Mechwarrior online. So long WoW.

Wise choice and I completely agree. My sub runs out on the 23rd. Not renewing. I have no desire to eve hit 90. I just don't care. This game has become so top heavy it's obtuse.

WOTLK is honestly where I stopped. I didn't even do CATA. I just hit 85 and went in to battlegrounds. I didn't even do the Cata quests. I got from 80-85 in battlegrounds and it's how I was slowly getting my way to 90. However, the bots are killing that for me and I've had enough of that damn bar being raised.

I had it raised at
60 to 70
70 to 80
80 to 85
85 to NO FREEKING WAY

Besides, if Blizzard wants to keep my sub, they're going to have to pay me to play this game.
90 Pandaren Shaman
I don't think valor is 80 per run, its 80 for the first then 40 after that right?

The first each day, so you can recieve the bonus 7 times.
90 Night Elf Priest
Another problem with this game is the server balance of PvP servers. Not enough players to get a raid for pve or rbg going. I'm part of the creators for Illidan Alliance Allstars back in vanilla. All the players are hand picked to win games with or without using vent. Formulated typing shortcuts to ease communications for AB, WSG and AV. All these players are either retired or moved to another server.

Getting outnumbered and ganked while doing dailies is hard, and there is no CRZ for Pandaria zones. Virtually can't counter-gank them because there is no other Alliance around. Been through 2v5+ and 3v10+ as well. I can handle dying and a fan of hard mode, but I can't handle one sided all the time. For a good 7 months since I came back after 3 years of retirement. It was a lot better back in vanilla/TBC days on Illidan server. Right now, Blizzard indirectly tells me to pay up for transfer or endure it which is pushing me to the edge. Faction balancing between the PvP servers doesn't look like it's happening.

They screw up the servers by not controlling transfers and faction change while making more money. They should fix it. Paying USD25 for each character is hefty for my currency. I have 2 more toons that is profession linked.
90 Tauren Druid

Um, my math is 80 VP per run, daily = 560 VP per week, with a deficit of 440 VP which is 11 more runs. That's 18 runs, for a total of 30 min each which is 9 hours.

Now, personally I don't really need to do more than one per day. And, once I get bracers today, I no longer have a need for VP. So I've capped VP for 6 weeks + 250 and have no further need for it.

I don't think valor is 80 per run, its 80 for the first then 40 after that right?

Yep. And if you are doing more than what the guy you quoted said (e.g. 11 extra runs TOTAL in the entire week), you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Also, you can get up to 360 VP from LFR now, which leaves you with a whole 80 left over, which you can easily do with 2-3 dailies per day, thus never having to step into more than 1 dungeon per day.

The truth is, chain grinding dungeons is the dumbest way (read: least efficient) to cap valor each week.
Edited by Orsnoire on 11/14/2012 9:36 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I understand that the dailies aren't technically mandatory, but they're as 'optional' as the current talent system or glyphs.

Sure, you can play without talents or glyphs. However, everyone who saw it would basically stop and stare, wondering why the heck you're not utilizing a basic function of the game to improve yourself.

I like having alts in addition to a primary character. Right now, Eralen eats up all of my WoW time just to move at a *slow* pace toward the starter gear.

Yeah, I don't have to... I just have to to play the game I want to play...
90 Undead Priest
Focus on community building, blizzard. Real concerted efforts to build real community, not half-measures like LFR/LFD, and CRZ. Real living breathing communities on servers. A healthy gaming community will do more to encourage people to log in and play than any laundry list of tasks designed to squeeze as many play-hours out of people as possible. Community, we had it once. It's been dying since the end of Wrath. Work towards it again and WoW will be reborn, I promise.
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/14/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Sweetpeaz
Focus on community building, blizzard. Real concerted efforts to build real community, not half-measures like LFR/LFD, and CRZ. Real living breathing communities on servers. A healthy gaming community will do more to encourage people to log in and play than any laundry list of tasks designed to squeeze as many play-hours out of people as possible. Community, we had it once. It's been dying since the end of Wrath. Work towards it again and WoW will be reborn, I promis

Yep, those items while opening content further dissolve the community. Without a strong vibrant community an MMO won't live up to its potential.

This game has largely become a single player game with some MMO aspect to it. The world may largely be persistent, but it doesn't require you to do much of anything with others.

I don't see this as relevant to the discussion at the moment. The changes made to MoP have done more for the community than anything IMO. What is bad for the community is making changes to enable people to login, dungeon or raid (instanced play), and log off.

However, the gist of this thread is people want to do exactly the above, without any hoop-la. Login, do the fun group activities that give gear, and then logout. Effectively, this thread is about making changes that would negatively impact the community.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
11/11/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Morgatala
dat name...
90 Orc Shaman
11/14/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Briteyes

I find it odd that you think this when A) Pandaria has had at least as many things to do as the previous 3 expansions and B) I believe Patch 5.1 - with more content! - is going to come out faster than any other supplemental content patch in the game's history.

I find A to be extremely funny considering a little more than 1% has completed the raiding content. So even if we wanted to we can bearly access said content. And the other content. Has been passed up by the average player before even 2 months has passed most people have to rely on world raid bosses and lfr for gear and considering scenarios give no progression along with challenge modes giving no progression doing both as a raider Is pointless to try to progressing in for gear
And point b 5.1 has gaited content and more dailys brawlers guild wont be seen by most people other then one guild (atleast on horde bonechewer) because they will not let anyone out bid them on bmah they. Will prolly take everry invitation and not share them until there guild has them all then sell it for. redic prices considering therre general additude on my server towards other guilds.

Just because the content hasn't been completed doesn't mean it isn't there. That's actually call for NOT releasing more content. Which is probably why 5.1 doesn't contain raids, to my knowledge. Anyway, point A was encompassing more than raids.. even outside of raids, there's just as much to do as in previous expansions.
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/11/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Osmeric
VP grinding is going to be required going forward, because of the upgrade mechanism.

So much wrong.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
For the first time, really, I find myself looking forward to not logging in and playing because it just feels like work now.

The current daily quests, while encouraging you to venture out in the world, still feel like a solitary activity. The sheer number of them add up to what feels like (for me, anyway) a heckuva lot of work just for one toon, never mind alts. (I also feel that the actual quests themselves could be more "interesting" or "fun," but I'll give this a pass for the moment.)

If we must have tons of daily quests, why not have a shared, stacking "Teamwork" buff that occurs when you fulfill your daily quest requirements while in the presence of other players? The buff would increase the reputation awarded for all players as long as they keep the buff (i.e. don't wander off for 30 minutes before turning in your quests). This would be like casually grouping with other players without actually being in a group (and messing up any dungeon/raid/PvP queues you might want to sit in). In this way, it might encourage players to actually team up in order to play through the quests faster and with a clear benefit. And who knows, you might hang in the quest area around long enough to meet someone cool instead of jetting back to base as soon as the last fatty goat steak has fallen.
90 Undead Priest
I don't see this as relevant to the discussion at the moment. The changes made to MoP have done more for the community than anything IMO. What is bad for the community is making changes to enable people to login, dungeon or raid (instanced play), and log off.

However, the gist of this thread is people want to do exactly the above, without any hoop-la. Login, do the fun group activities that give gear, and then logout. Effectively, this thread is about making changes that would negatively impact the community.

I dare say you've missed the point. The concept is to foster a stronger community. Not simply bolstering multi-player oriented content. Also, I think your whitewashing the idea of a stronger community based game by saying it's merely "people logging in, doing their stuff, and logging out" That's not what's being advocated here. The suggestion of such ignores the social and communal structure of the game which sustained itself very strongly for 4-5 years prior to Cataclysm.

Because you're right, if people are just logging in to raid that's not. but if they're only logging in to raid then that's the problem. There is not a vibrant enough, community oriented game-play for them to bother sticking around. This is what Blizzard should look to remedy. And it's why LFR/LFD, CRZ are half-measures which may even do more harm then good.
90 Draenei Shaman

Now dailies improve community?

Come on people, lets be serious here, dailies dont do anything for community, and if people like instanced play more than anything else, Blizzard should give them an equally rewarding alternative for that, because the alternative for many of those that like instanced play is not going to the world, its unsubbing.

For those that like non-instanced play, they have the dailies, as long as instanced play is EQUALLY rewarding, those that like non-instanced will still do non instanced one.

The WoW community sucks for long before LFD was even announced.
The new MMOs that tried to claim they came out without LFD because LFD destroyed communities failed miserably and had worse communities than WOW
38 Goblin Rogue
2. I disagree. If you start the entire discussion under the premise that choosing to pay to play a game, means that nothing....and I mean nothing related to it worth anything if the journey to achieve it isn't worth the end result.

3. I pay to play the game. It's not as if I am approaching this from an end raiding perspective. I'm not. I don't want those rewards. It's not even focused on gear for that matter. It's about having fun....period.

I don't follow how your response to my second point is on topic. IF I said "better gear is not required to progress your character" then I'd agree with you. But my point is the gear available off rep vendors is not requires. The mounts are not required. The achievements from hitting exalted with the factions are not required. The ability to do eleventy billion daily quests each day is not mandatory.

Nobody is here complaining that they have to form a team and do pet battles. You're the first I've noticed bemoaning the farming mini-game. The problem here is that people want valor gear (and the acknowledged subset that just want to be able to spend VP on SOMETHING). It. is. all. optional. And what's even more awesome is if you want to improve your gear, you have multiple ways to do it, so it's not even like the only way you can improve gear is by doing dailies.

Frankly, the daily grind method is the slowest, most inefficient way to improve your gear. So if that's what you want to do, and you want to do it fast, why on Azeroth are you doing dailies in the first place??

Regarding your response to my 3rd comment... then what are you complaining about?? Skip the dailies and move on to do stuff you enjoy. I'm not getting where your point of contention is anymore.

The real solution for valor gear is that valor gear should be gated in only one way, valor points, and not being double gated.

Double gating things is a bad design. Rep gear should be purchasable with only rep needed.
Valor gear should require only valor points.

That's only the real solution if your goal is to make sure valor gear is mandatory. That's exactly NOT what Blizzard wants.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]