Ultra Specs

100 Blood Elf Paladin
So I just bought a new gaming laptop, and I decided to test out WoW... the results were.. less than spectacular.

It started off with settings set to "fair", when I bumped it up to ultra the game lagged to no end.

This laptop was supposed to be able to run WoW on ultra with no issues.

--Here's the specs

- Intel Core i7-3610QM (2.30GHz, Quad-Core) Processor
- 17.3" FHD (1920x1080) non-Glare Display
- 12GB RAM
- 750GB 7200rpm HDD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M 3GB Graphics
Reply Quote
Got a cooling pad? Laptops heat up and one like that would be killer. The hotter your system the slower it runs.

Also as nice as the card is that mobile card is not as strong as a typical video card.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If a 670M is anything like a lower-clocked 670, it should still be quite sufficient. Even at only half the clocks it should manage Ultra provided MSAA is not in use.

Chances are your laptop is set to either Balanced or Power Saver mode. This will causing a noticeable drop in performance compared to what you're expecting. Change it by opening your Start Menu and using the provided search feature to look for "Power Options". Set that to "High Performance" and things should (hopefully) improve.
Reply Quote
Like Asterchades was hitting on. If this laptop has "turbo".. If the power settings are set to power saving. I believe turbo is disabled. Right there would leave you with lower clock speeds. And Deehok said, a cooling pad. Which I've seen at walmart for 7 dollars. Makes a day and night difference. But also longevity in everything from motherboard, processors, to battery.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
So I just bought a new gaming laptop, and I decided to test out WoW... the results were.. less than spectacular.

It started off with settings set to "fair", when I bumped it up to ultra the game lagged to no end.

--Here's the specs

- 12GB RAM
- 750GB 7200rpm HDD

Another problem you are going to encounter is the speed of your processor. Since wow basically uses only 2 cores your I-7 acts like a 2.3 gig 2 core processor. Wow is more cpu intensive then GPU.

And if you do not already have one get a Good cooling pad
Edited by Northernlite on 11/12/2012 3:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Priest
2.3ghz is insufficient to run wow at Ultra settings.

Disabling HT however should boost the CPU clock speeds to 3.3ghz, which should allow Ultra settings. Either that, or set wow up to run only on the physical cores (vs HT cores), and see some performance boost that way.
http://www.wowpedia.org/CVar_processAffinityMask#Optimal_Settings_for_Multi-core_Processors:

As the others have said, you need a cooling mat.
Edited by Ressie on 11/12/2012 7:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
11/12/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Ressie

That is a IB CPU @ 2.3GHz it should be fine.
When WoW is CPU limited changing the graphics should have very little effect on the FPS.
Example: If you get 20fps on ultra and still get only around 20fps on low, your system is CPU limited.

--Here's the specs

- 12GB RAM
- 750GB 7200rpm HDD

Your screen res is 1920x1080 and a 670m does not have near the power of a desktop gtx 670. So don't turn the multi-sampling up to much.

Even then I don't think you will be able to keep ultra @ 1920x1080 and get 60 fps and like others have said, check your power settings and temps.

Also make sure your laptop is plugged in while gaming.
Edited by Nightflyer on 11/12/2012 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Priest
When WoW is CPU limited changing the graphics should have very little effect on the FPS.
Example: If you get 20fps on ultra and still get only around 20fps on low, your system is CPU limited.

If you get 20fps on Ultra, and 20fps on Low, chances are you've mistakenly set your maxfps to 20... 20fps on Ultra would see 30-50 on low easily.
100 Worgen Druid

If you get 20fps on Ultra, and 20fps on Low, chances are you've mistakenly set your maxfps to 20... 20fps on Ultra would see 30-50 on low easily.

I have a 2.3GHz dual core SB laptop with a HD 6470m GPU and on low I get well over 100fps, on ultra I get around 15fps not because the CPU is limiting it but because the GPU is maxed out.

I also have a old 2.5ghz dual core AMD athlon system with a gtx 260 and get around the same fps on low as on ultra the CPU is maxed on both settings. CPU limited

Yet the same gtx 260 in my phenom II system gets a lot higher fps.

My point is GHz is a bad way of comparing CPUs unless they are the same architecture.
Example: 2.3ghz dual core IB CPU is a lot faster than a 2.5ghz dual core athlon CPU.

With a 2.3ghz IB CPU, a 670m GPU and 1080p screen res
The GPU will limit you before the CPU will.
Edited by Nightflyer on 11/12/2012 12:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue

Disabling HT however should boost the CPU clock speeds to 3.3ghz, which should allow Ultra settings. Either that, or set wow up to run only on the physical cores (vs HT cores), and see some performance boost that way.
http://www.wowpedia.org/CVar_processAffinityMask#Optimal_Settings_for_Multi-core_Processors:

As the others have said, you need a cooling mat.

WRONG to a point, I have a MSI GE70 with a I7-3610QM or whatever the 2.3ghz that turbos to 3.3 with a GTX 660M and It runs wow at 1920x1080 ultra no problem and I only disable SSAO. I'm also sure SSAO is a GPU intense graphic option not CPU. My dad also runs on a 1.8ghz dual core on ultra with a 6770

And to the OP right click ur desktop and go to the nvidia control panel and select 3d options and then select the NVIDA gpu for global settings to make sure your not running on the intel graphics of the cpu.
Edited by Johasas on 11/12/2012 8:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]