Tanks Queuing DPS in LFR

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
Something very rarely seen in DS for me, it's now a frequent problem, every LFR I've been into have them. Now I have no trouble if they can supply the dps, but I see 2 problems in that issue :

1 - They steal aggro.

2 - They're cheating the system to get faster queue.

Isn't there something that can be done, like say, can't queue if you're not specced into it?
95 Dwarf Death Knight
People wanted spec specific gear, this is the fallout.
29 Pandaren Monk
It's LFR. You really take it that seriously?
90 Human Paladin
Not really no. Not at all even, I'm main tanking 10 man. It just seems a good jump start for some pieces of gear I would have ilvl463 otherwise. With a tank centered raid like MV is, every bits of ilvl I can get, I will want to get it, without having to constantly taunting from a fake dps.
90 Tauren Paladin
11/03/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Carnage

Yes they are. And this is actually shortening the tank queue and relatively harmless compared to a dps queuing as a healer. With as many tanks as there are, especially compared to DPS, I can't imagine this is that huge of a problem.

Tell them to turn their threat modifiers off and you won't be battling for threat anymore. Are you sure you're even taunting off DPS? Usually it's the hunter's pet. Aside from pets taunting, I haven't noticed tanks having any trouble with threat in LFR.
Edited by Marthok on 11/3/2012 12:40 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin

Yes they are. And this is actually shortening the tank queue and relatively harmless compared to a dps queuing as a healer. With as many tanks as there are, especially compared to DPS, I can't imagine this is that huge of a problem.

Tell them to turn their threat modifiers off and you won't be battling for threat anymore. Are you sure you're even taunting off DPS? Usually it's the hunter's pet. Aside from pets taunting, I haven't noticed tanks having any trouble with threat in LFR.

How is it shortening it, you still need 2 tanks, just one less dps.

edit : nvm I get what you're saying. Since tanks are always on queue for long time, having a tank queue dps is making a group form faster.

2ndedit : and yeah, i'm sure i'm taunting off a fake dps. I see target of target so I know what I'm taunting from.
Edited by Carnage on 11/3/2012 12:45 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
you need 2 tanks but you fit in 6 tanks. meaning tank #7 is now up next.

I think it's fine if they turn off their modifiers. even if they don't...so you have 5 tanks instead of 2. what's the difference? as a healer you should focus the boss always and see who the active tank is.
Edited by Robokapp on 11/3/2012 1:27 PM PDT
95 Dwarf Death Knight
As long as there's no relevant enrages tanks are fine, especially with how much aoe damage exists for some encounters
90 Human Paladin
11/03/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Carnage
1 - They steal aggro.

Tell them to turn off threat modifier (RF, defense stance... etc.)... or ask the raid to boot them... It's the same concept as hunter not turning off aspect of daze or pet taunt...

I would be happy to stay ret for entire run if not for the fact that tank shield from Spirit King would never drop if I am in ret... So I am going "prot dps" in that fight... You have every right to boot a fake dps if he/she run into performance issue (just like any other bad dps), but even w/o vengeance, with dps gear/glyph/talents, a prot pally can still pull over 30k dps... not good, but adequate... and I would expect a blood dk can pull more...
Edited by Emmey on 11/3/2012 2:24 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Monk
Easy fix is to allow tanks to queue as DPS (or healers) but chose to "roll" on tank gear.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/03/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Arpandaday
Easy fix is to allow tanks to queue as DPS (or healers) but chose to "roll" on tank gear.

Not as easy as just making it completely random for your class instead of your spec. Not like they aren't getting it wrong anyway. Unless other blood dks really want the 1H off of elegon.
90 Orc Death Knight
It shortens tank queues for those of us who can't use the dps loot table for tank gear (agi tanks) and while yes it may confuse the raid for a moment if they are doing their job well enough I really don't care it makes my run through all the less annoying. If they are failing miserably then I just pick up the threat when they die. I've noticed they are typically taunt monkeys as well and have to remind them that vengeance was nerfed and that taunting wasn't designed to increase their dps. Very bad habit.
90 Human Death Knight
I do it on fights I don't need dps gear from, I do about middle of the pack dps as blood in unholy pres. I don't think it's that much of a problem really. Them doing less dps is really the only downside but given your average LFR'er it's not so bad comparatively.
90 Goblin Shaman
I do it and come in dead last DPS. I don't care, tanks get the shaft in every content area of the game except for 5-man heroics which are literally worthless.
90 Human Warlock
Seriously, it's not the end of the world to have a couple extra tanks in a LFR. It's alot more efficient than off-tanks trying to step in when main tank dies. O no, they do slightly less dps, now the world's gonna end...
90 Orc Death Knight
Is it spec specific, or role specific?
90 Orc Death Knight
11/03/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Postonforums
As long as there's no relevant enrages tanks are fine, especially with how much aoe damage exists for some encounters

We hit feng enrage in lfr last night. I took a screenshot. Was awesome.
90 Goblin Shaman
11/10/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Ghatok
Is it spec specific, or role specific?

It's spec specific. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever.
90 Orc Death Knight
me queing dps and tanking is much more efficient for the lfr than letting the two BR tanks keep petrifying the raid on stone guard
93 Goblin Shaman
What they could always do is change it to where you only get loot for the role you accepted- so even if you were in your prot spec and accepted a dps role, you'd only get dps gear. Maybe- and I'm reaching here- have the system also read your spec. If you aren't in a dps/tank/healing spec and queue for a role that is completely opposite of what your spec is, you don't get loot, but still get saved to the boss that week.

The whole point of the new LFR system is "You want the gear for a certain role, you perform that role."

It shouldn't be by passable. Personally, it's a borderline exploit. The reason I say this, if enough people start catching on to this, you're going to see a lot of people trying this stuff- thus making LFR more of a pain than it needs to be.
Edited by Jujubiju on 11/10/2012 1:11 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]