Tanks Queuing DPS in LFR

(Locked)

100 Orc Warlock
11/03/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Postonforums
As long as there's no relevant enrages tanks are fine, especially with how much aoe damage exists for some encounters

Speaking of enrages in LFR, my raid wiped on Will yesterday to the enrage because I was the only DPS over 46k.
90 Orc Death Knight
11/10/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Weepea
Is it spec specific, or role specific?

It's spec specific. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever.

Interesting. I must use this for evil.
90 Draenei Mage
Or you could queue as a tank, run a dungeon or two while waiting for the queue, come out in time for your queue to pop, and enjoy not having to worry about tank fail.
90 Tauren Druid
Tanks do better DPS than the DPS anyway.
100 Orc Hunter
11/10/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Disgruntler
you could queue as a tank, run a dungeon or two while waiting for the queue
why would tanks who need nothing from dungeons run dungeons while waiting for a raid queue?
100 Dwarf Death Knight
11/10/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Vreivai
Speaking of enrages in LFR, my raid wiped on Will yesterday to the enrage because I was the only DPS over 46k.

There's a couple encounters with a lower enrage requirement than lfr ultraxion.
100 Troll Rogue
I'll admit I've been guilty of this I've queued up as dual/tank dps for every lfr I've done on my warrior, I think I've helped rather then hindered the group when I've gone gotten the dps queue and stayed tank.

I don't purposefully try and pull agro and tank though, if a tank dies or a dps manages to grab agro on something I will step in when I can, I'll also do stuff like grab the shields on feng if the assigned tanks don't know how to and taunt on garajal after dolls go out in case the offtank doesnt realise he should be 2nd in threat.

That along with intelligent use of safeguard, rallying cry and my banners means I'm more then carrying my weight.

A tank was raging at me last week on garalon for being prot spec and then proceeded to thank me when we killed Garalon easily because I handled pheromones with another person.
90 Draenei Priest
Don't see why you can't tell the system you want a certain spec for gear, and will run the dungeon in another spec.
91 Dwarf Paladin
11/10/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Weepea
Is it spec specific, or role specific?

It's spec specific. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever.

So if i queue as dps but have a tank spec on will it produce tank gear?

The queues are pretty horrible - last week I sat through almost 5 hours of queues just to get 4 instances (since you always get an in-progress one the first time). Normally I wouldn't do something like queueing with the wrong role but I think the current situation with tank queues in LFR justifies it.
90 Human Warrior
Got cheated out of LFR gear buy a Prot pally that qued as dps even though he had half normal and half heroic tank gear. Raid wouldnt kick him because he was so well geared. He actually got loot 2/4 bosses while i got another 4sacks of gold. Awesome, great idea there Blizzard
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/15/2013 03:27 AMPosted by Temperedwill
Got cheated out of LFR gear buy a Prot pally that qued as dps even though he had half normal and half heroic tank gear. Raid wouldnt kick him because he was so well geared. He actually got loot 2/4 bosses while i got another 4sacks of gold. Awesome, great idea there Blizzard

Do you have any idea how the LFR loot system works? Doesn't seem like it.

So, just to clarify, another player winning loot has ZERO effect on your chances to win loot.
90 Human Warrior
Never looked into it, i always thought it was just a set number of pieces that drop for dps and heals and just chance for tanks. Makes sense to me seeing how much gear dps seems to get and how rarely tanks do (me personally at least)
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It used to be that every boss dropped a set amount of gear pieces and people rolled on them much the way it works in 5mans. Since people "abused" this system back in DS by bringing friends to roll for them or rolling on things they already had just to be spiteful, Blizz changed the Loot System to an individual one. Every person in an LFR has a chance (15% roughly iirc) to win loot from any boss. So anyone winning loot has absolutely no impact at all on your chances to win loot. While statistically highly unlikely it would actually be possible for every single person in a 25man LFR to get loot off a boss.
Edited by Typan on 2/15/2013 4:32 AM PST
100 Night Elf Druid
11/11/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Zaxan
why would tanks who need nothing from dungeons run dungeons while waiting for a raid queue?

Valor? Gold? Mounts? It's less boring than sitting in town?

11/11/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Acetylcholin
Don't see why you can't tell the system you want a certain spec for gear, and will run the dungeon in another spec.

Because Blizzard hasn't coded it that way yet. There's rumors that they're working on it, but I think if it was going to be ready to go in 5.2 we'd know about it by now.

11/10/2012 08:48 PMPosted by Ghatok
It's spec specific. Doesn't make much sense to me

Druids and shamans have different gear needs between two different DPS specs. If it was just based on role, how would the server know what to give them?

I think they should make it spec *and* role specific, so if you're in a spec that doesn't fit your role, you automatically get gold. (If they didn't announce they were doing it, it would probably take a few weeks for the queue abusers to catch on, which would be just tragic, I'm sure.) But they either didn't foresee role switchers or didn't think it would be a problem for the rest of the raid to carry them.

P.S. In theory, there's no reason 3 of the 5 tank specs couldn't queue as *healers* for even *faster* queues. Some DPS are doing it already. If nobody notices the "healer" with shadow orbs (or that is a freaking moonkin!), they're probably not going to pay that much attention to the one that's meleeing. Especially monks, who are expected to melee anyway.
I queue as both tank and dps generally. I'll pull 8-9th on dps either way (as my dps gear is pretty low). I do usually switch to Frost if I'm dps (for the loot drops) but parry and dodge don't help my dps too much. If the tanks are having trouble (or it's Feng or Lei Shi), I'll just run Blood spec in Unholy.
Edited by Conneri on 2/15/2013 9:07 AM PST
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Id prefer if the 20k dps just couldnt queue for raid content in the first place.

If a tank pulls above that, they're welcome to be DPS in the runs Ive been in.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]