PvP gear in PvE Dungeons.

(Locked)

90 Human Warlock
Basically as the title says I was wondering why it was looked down upon to use PvP gear in dungeons. I've just started into WoW and this is my first 90 and I told my brother that the reason I hadn't ran any MoP dungeons is because I wanted to get geared (PvP) and he said that it would cause the other members of the party to get angry at me for using it/get kicked from the party. The thing is, even with the few pieces I've gotten so far (only 4) My DPS has increased a decent bit as opposed to when I had my normal gear from questing. I know the PvP gear is for PvP and not PvE obviously, but why would it matter if I was geared in PvP gear for a dungeon? The pieces I do have are gemmed/enchanted as best I could using guides on the internet.

Sorry if this is worded in an odd or confusing way.
100 Human Warlock
In MoP, wearing PvP armor in dungeons is fine.

Prior to MoP, PvP gear was not very good for PvE. Each item has a 'budget' of stats. For example - look at my leg armor. It has a set amount of Stamina and Intellect, and then two secondary stats (which for cloth gear is any two of Haste, Crit, Mastery, or Spirit).

Before MoP, one of those secondary stats would be used for Resilience. So Instead of pants with Hit and Mastery, I'd have Resilience and Mastery, or Resilience and Hit. Resilience is useless in PvE. Furthermore, PvP armor used to more heavily stack stamina than was needed for PvE, at the expense of Intellect or Agility or whatever the other primary stat was. For example, look at these two pieces of Cataclysm gear: Golgarok's Tenderized Treads vs. Bloodthirsty Gladiator's Treads of Alacrity. The PvP one, despite being a higher iLevel has less Intellect and is missing a secondary stat useful for PvE.

However, MoP gear is not like that. If you look at the current PvP gear, you'll see that the PvP stats (Resilience, PvP Power) no longer take up one of the 'budget slots' on gear. Compare Contender's Silk Footwraps to Soulbinder Treads. Both have the same amount of Intellect and similar amounts of Crit. One has 418 Mastery the other has 429 Haste, which is about equivalent.

The short version:
In your case - you have a lot of Dreadful PvP gear, which is actually BETTER than what you need to start heroics. So anybody who is telling you to not wear the PvP gear isn't aware of the changes that were made to itemization this expansion.
Edited by Amandalynn on 11/6/2012 5:48 AM PST
90 Worgen Warrior
A lot of it is left-over stigma from previous expansions. PvP gear used to sacrifice some of the useful PvE stats for PvP stats.

Every item has a "stat budget" that has a direct relationship with its item level. Two pieces of 450 gear have roughly equal stats, they'll just be shifted around some (e.g., Crit vs. Haste).

In previous expansions, the item level for PvP gear included PvP stats in the item level. So a piece of 450 PvP gear would have been much less powerful in PvE, with the wasted stats. Since dungeons require a minimum iLevel, people would use PvP gear to skip ahead and get into content they weren't really ready for.

PvP gear doesn't work that way anymore. The PvP stats don't count toward the item level, so 450 gear is all roughly just as powerful in PvE regardless.

There is an exception in that there is no such thing as PvP tank gear, so tanks in full PvP gear still suck; they're missing too much avoidance. (This applies more to plate tanks than bears or monks.)

There's also something of a stigma of PvP players in dungeons. They're not always the most pleasant or knowledgeable group members to have around. Often because they feel forced to do PvE for certain items. Of course, you can't tell that just from the fact that someone's in PvP gear, but that doesn't stop people from jumping to conclusions anyway.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
BUR
If you're hit capped for PVE, while in PVP gear, you should do just fine. You stand to lose, or gain, the most dps from hit cap or expertise cap, depending on class and whatnot.
90 Human Warlock
Alright thanks for the answers guys!
I was worried I'd be getting kicked out of alot of dungeons because of my gear.

I haven't reforged it yet, but I'm going with hit over crit, etc. Supposed to be the best for my class.
100 Human Warlock
Alright thanks for the answers guys!
I was worried I'd be getting kicked out of alot of dungeons because of my gear.

I haven't reforged it yet, but I'm going with hit over crit, etc. Supposed to be the best for my class.

Hopefully you won't be kicked because of your gear! However, even though you're doing nothing wrong - you might still come across people who don't know the changes and try to kick you. Or someone who thinks you might roll on loot they feel entitled to, and try to kick you. Or someone who's just a punk who likes to kick people.

All you can do is do your best to understand your class and wear the correct gear, and it looks like you are. Sometimes LFD gives you good groups, sometimes it gives you bad ones.
90 Human Warlock
Hopefully I won't have to deal with it too much.

I pass on gear that doesn't benefit me, so I guess I'll tell them that if it'll help.

I'm still learning my class better, trying to perfect my rotation, etc ..but I feel I have enough of a grasp to do heroics. No raids, but heroics for sure.

Thanks!
90 Troll Priest
It's very easy, just have them link their gear and you link yours. Point out to them that your gear has the same amount of stats. They can't really say PVP gear is worse when you can point out the obvious to them.
Edited by Monmonn on 11/6/2012 10:14 AM PST
90 Human Warlock
11/06/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Monmonn
It's very easy, just have them link their gear and you link yours. Point out to them that your gear has the same amount of stats. They can't really say PVP gear is worse when you can point out the obvious to them.

True enough.
I guess I just let what my brother said affect my decision to not run dungeons.
100 Human Warlock
11/06/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Antium

True enough.
I guess I just let what my brother said affect my decision to not run dungeons.

Tell your brother to come look at this post :-).

Seriously, prior the current expansion your brother had more of a point, and he is probably not aware of how PvP gear changed for MoP. Given everything else that changed in this expansion, it's easy to see how it got overlooked. I think people unaware of the change just look at the gear, see that it has 'resilience' on it, and dismiss it. Once he or anyone else compares PvP gear to other gear of the same item level it's pretty clear they're equivalent, but people aren't used to looking that closely.
90 Human Warrior
Speel
90 Troll Priest
01/20/2013 03:52 PMPosted by Olivier
Speel
Please don't pointlessly bump old posts. You're basically asking for a forum vacation.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]