Death Knights beginning at level 1?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
If there were any change I'd like to see to the DK starting experience it would be seeing your character die in the Third War during a battle then being raised as a DK so you see more background to how you ended up there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/06/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Furyclaws
Dks are reanimated corpses of weaker vanilla heroes (around level 55 technically).

that is correct for the old death knights that were created by the lich king; however, after the lich king there is no reason why new death knights can't begin at level 1. Heck the storyline can even be alter since there is a new lich king.

From a lore perspective there are no new death knights being risen. None. The Lich King of old is gone and Bolvar isn't raising any more. When you play through the starting zone, you're playing in a different period of time, just as goblin, worgen, and pandaren are in theirs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
that is true but the Dks that begin at level 1 wouldn't have been created by Arthas instead by the new lich king, or the dark queen sylvana, and they would start at level 1 because you would still have to teach them how to use there new power. Plus wouldn't a forsaken at level 1 make no sense since they are basically reborned and used to have a former life.

Except, the new Lich King isn't exactly rushing to make Death Knights, nor is Sylvanas. Also, the Forsaken were raised from the dead of Lordaeron - simple townspeople, not adventurers.

11/06/2012 07:38 AMPosted by Vanarela
The reason their starting level is different than everyone else's is largely a lore one. Death knights were all accomplished heroes before they were risen, and naturally their abilities would be retained after their rising. It wouldn't make any sense from a lore stand point for death knights to begin at level one.

11/06/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Aishicc
There are no new Death Knights being made, Arthas/Lich King is dead and his wicked, is both ways, sword is broken. Bolvar/Lich King is not making any Death Knights at this time, or ever unless he turns evil. No new Death Knights means no changing in level, Sylvanas' Dark Rangers are not the same, though I would not mind trying one out.

11/06/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Sekahn
I thought Arthas gave the new death knight iniates their powers, since they weren't death knights before they were risen.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Not sure the time involved in altering the DK experience would be worth the return.

...in fact, I'm sure it would not.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Warlock
Lvl 1 Dks and NE locks hint hint :D
Reply Quote
55 Pandaren Monk
11/06/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Thekitpaul
Monks get a 100% increase to experience... your entire argument is mute.

The 100% experience increase is surely a bonus, but monks still get to experience the low levels. Its not like blizzard granted them levels lol you still have to work for them.

At first I liked the concept of hero classes, but think about it how many more classes can blizzard really add to the game without overlapping. I feel that with one more that will be it maybe four specializations to all the classes would be there route after adding 12 classes. Heck we don't know what blizzard is planning for the future, and I know that this idea is very unlikely to happen I just think it would be a better path to follow if they don't plan to add more hero classes, heck at the very least if they don't want to make them into a level 1 class I would propose for Paladins, Shamans, Warlocks, Hunters, and whatever new class they might add to become hero classes lol. it might just be me being OCD but it just seems kinda of clunky to have only one hero class.
Edited by Furyclaws on 11/6/2012 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Why not. Blizzard is an expert at class balance. Throw them another torch to juggle.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Warlock
LMFAO
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I vote for a Dark Ranger class for the level 1 DK idea.

...i'm sure blizzard can come up with some lore butchering madness to make it happen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I think DKs should remain as they are and new thought put into making some other Hero classes. For those of use who have been playing for a while, and have several maxed toons, it's nice to jump into a new class without having to go through the low level grind all over again.
Reply Quote
12 Tauren Shaman
Monks aren't a hero class, your point is moot.
Reply Quote
What would work for this then is if they allowed you to switch to a death knight at 55 or at some point there after (when you died) i.e. a risen hero...

This would allow you to get achievements at lower levels and such and raise certain reps before becoming a DK.

Not hat I would want to go through this, but one could for a lore perspective...

When I first heard about the new class of Death Knights, back near the end of BC, I first assumed that players would "sacrifice" an existing level 50-something character to become a new Death Knight . . . as Packrat has described. I didn't expect that players would make a new character which started at the higher level.
Reply Quote
55 Pandaren Monk
11/06/2012 08:36 AMPosted by Delsaran
I think DKs should remain as they are and new thought put into making some other Hero classes. For those of use who have been playing for a while, and have several maxed toons, it's nice to jump into a new class without having to go through the low level grind all over again.

True, but what would blizzard create to make new hero classes that wouldn't overlap the current classes?

Bard: A healer that heals from afar while channeling? (Mistweaver Ranged healing)
Dark Ranger: A ranger that uses dark magic? (Hunter + Dark Priest)
Techno Mage: A mechanic that uses technology and magic? (The feel would be different because of the technology but what would you possibility add that makes them different pets that can heal and tank?)
Demon Hunter: A warlock that fights in range and uses demonic powers.
etc
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Death Knight
True, but what would blizzard create to make new hero classes that wouldn't overlap the current classes?Bard: A healer that heals from afar while channeling? (Mistweaver Ranged healing)Dark Ranger: A ranger that uses dark magic? (Hunter + Dark Priest)Techno Mage: A mechanic that uses technology and magic? (The feel would be different because of the technology but what would you possibility add that makes them different pets that can heal and tank?)Demon Hunter: A warlock that fights in range and uses demonic powers. etc

everything overlaps already, what difference would it make?

Melee classes

Caster/hunter

Heals.

put things in those groups and everything in those groups look/feel like the same things with recolored moves and a few resource swaps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
11/06/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Tinytots
I dont want DKs in my 29 bracket

^^ This. At the moment the only thing I can say I enjoy about levelling a toon is a DK free BG from lv 10-54.

What withCRZ now and everything, if DK's were to also cover bg's from lv 10......I got a razer blade, ill use it I swear lolol
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
11/06/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Furyclaws
Dks are reanimated corpses of weaker vanilla heroes (around level 55 technically).

that is correct for the old death knights that were created by the lich king; however, after the lich king there is no reason why new death knights can't begin at level 1. Heck the storyline can even be alter since there is a new lich king.

Um... the "new lich king" is frozen at this time, so he can't do jack. You can't alter something that can't be altered... that'd just be bad story telling and bad lore.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
GK
When they created the death knight class they expected it to begin at level 55 because of the hero class concept, but since blizzard has no longer been following that path with the addition of the monk how would you feel if the class began at level 1 and all the limitations that were put before like only having one death knight were removed? Here is how I think it would work.

What would happen to current starting zone, and death knight hub?
Well, Similar to monks at level 20 they could gain access to the deathgate to go there, and as for the instance they could perhaps develop it into a instance where you go back in time similar to some of the current instances ingame.

What would be the purpose of this?
Since no new hero class has been added, and many of us doubt there will be another one I think it would be great to make them start to remove the awkward mechanic, and it would add a new choice to parties at low levels, as well as promote new players to try out the death knight without having to reach level 55. I know for sure if I could start at level 1 I would.

Now let me know how you feel about death knights beginning at level 1, and how you think it could work, plus im sure that blizzard wants players to play all those new instances they remade which would be another plus for death knights starting at level 1.

I'm pretty sure when we try death knight out we dont have to reach level 55..its a given
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

Incorrect. The zone puts you back in time to events close to the end of BC. They are heroes risen by Arthas and not just "anyone" can make a Death Knight. Only two beings have done so successfully and that was Gul'dan and the Lich King as Death Knights are the pinnacle of necromancy. There will be no more made unless some other villain with power of that magnitude can pull it off.
Edited by Llyss on 11/6/2012 8:53 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]