Inscribed Crane Staff - Are you kidding me

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
ARE YOU KIDDING ME, ARE YOU?????????

I spend 20 days farming the items for this thing. I make it, and 2 minutes later it is destroyed.

Who in their right mind at Blizzard designed something so stupid. You have a weapon that when you right mouse click does not equip it but starts a quest.

I thought 'ok' it must be part of the process of making the item to complete a quest.

I even tried to equip it once I started the quest thinking 'can I use it yet' nope - item is part of a quest.

I then proceed to hand it in, and I go searching my bag to equip it and it not there, IT'S BEEN DESTROYED - ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

technical issue - for sure it is, it is one of the most stupidest stuff ups I have seen for a long time. How about a pop up box confirming you want it destroyed.

I put in a ticket, if the staff cannot be restored, then quite honestly it has put a totally sour taste in my mouth regarding this game.
Edited by Dalaron on 11/12/2012 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Mage
Not blizzards fault you screwed up. Its not a technical issue you took the quest to destroy it.
They made it that way so you could get back part of the mats when you no longer neeeded it.

Not blizards fault you just clicked away with out reading the text

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=31691/inscribed-crane-staff
Reply Quote
I made the one I am using and if anyone used a little common sense and realised you could drag it into your weapon slot you would not need to take the quest and if you read the quest you would know it will be gone if you turn in that quest.
Reply Quote
50 Human Paladin
There seems to be a big problem now a days with nobody using common sense when it comes to anything.

On one of my rogues I wound up getting two of the daggers from deathwing and someone told me you can't equip both but if you drag one to the off hand you could but if you tried to right click it all that would happen is it switched it with the main hand
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
As powerful it is, at some point you know you will outgrow this staff. When that time comes, one of the Inkmasters in the Arboretum would most likely be interested in taking it from you.

Sorry but this was your fault, read the quest.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
The quest is like 2 lines. Not a 5 page essay. Surely you could read it.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
11/12/2012 05:37 AMPosted by Dalaron
Who in their right mind at Blizzard designed something so stupid.

What do you mean? Designed a questline to get a powerful entry-level raid weapon without having to raid, THEN had the audacity to offer you part of the mats back when you eventually found an upgrade?

I mean, really! The horror!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I crafted the staff, saw the quest, read the quest and realized that I could recycle the BoA epic once it was no longer needed.

Given that my alts aren't going anywhere anytime soon, that gives me time to raid to replace the staff, then pass it on to my priest. At that point, I could ignore the SPI and keep passing the staff down the caster line, or send it back to my main to recycle.

All in all, an elegant system...IF you take the 3 minutes to READ THE QUEST TEXT.

However, if you are POLITE and in your ticket admit to the mea culpa, I am sure Blizzard will be accommodating. After all, they refunded me an epic I accidentally disenchanted and that was just me not paying attention.

I am not sure if the younger generations are exposed to adages anymore, but there is one that perhaps a few on the forums, and in the game, might find useful:

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Something to think about.
Edited by Atanae on 11/12/2012 9:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I wish they did that with BS. Give BS a weapon that is raid quality that we can turn back into bars etc when we get a replacement
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
dalaron u probly have a mod that trashes gray items?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
11/12/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Atanae
However, if you are POLITE and in your ticket admit to the mea culpa, I am sure Blizzard will be accommodating. After all, they refunded me an epic I accidentally disenchanted and that was just me not paying attention.

We have heard of them denying this request many times, and we have heard sporadic stories that they have restored it. I'm not sure if it would do any good, but it never hurts to ask.

11/12/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Atanae
You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Quite frankly, it has to do with policy more than anything. The rudest person will get their way, if it's something Blizzard can allow, and the nicest request will get turned down if they can't.

But overall, this is very much a good adage to live by, if only because the GM who pulls your ticket doesn't deserve to be berated and insulted. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/12/2012 05:37 AMPosted by Dalaron
How about a pop up box confirming you want it destroyed.

How about (as others have said) reading the part of the quest where it specifically states that they take the staff from you? This is not a "stuff up" on blizzard's end. Could it be designed better? Probably. That doesn't make it their fault that you ASSUMED it had to do with creating the staff without even bothering to read the quest text. Reminds me of all the people who post on bug forums that they can't find a certain mob or quest area so it must be a bug, only to have someone point out that they must not have read the quest text... and OP almost always comes back and admits that they figured it out as soon as they bothered to read.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Negligence on the part of the OP aside, it's still a good point that people have spent up to eight years right-clicking gear from quests to equip it, and largely questing without reading the quests, for the sake of speed. Was the text really there, telling him what would happen? Sure. Is it a valid point that people have a habit that could be up to eight years old of right-clicking to equip quest rewards from quests they did without reading? Oh, yes.

Taking this into consideration, there honestly should be a prompt to double-check that this is something the player wants to destroy, especially as it takes 20 days to farm the mats for the thing. It's happened to many more players than just the OP, though the one I know personally did take it more gracefully and realize it was his own goof-up.

But yeah, definitely needs a fix.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
11/12/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Galadrenai
it's still a good point that people have spent up to eight years right-clicking gear from quests to equip it

That's all well and good, but right-clicking the item brings up the quest. No one ever said you have to accept it, or even complete it.

largely questing without reading the quests, for the sake of speed

That's the problem, and it's not anything Blizzard can do. The heart of the problem is that people aren't reading the quest text, so why put a band-aid on it? Especially considering that people don't even read confirmation boxes these days, so it wouldn't solve anything, and they'd still be complaining.

Is it a valid point that people have a habit that could be up to eight years old of right-clicking to equip quest rewards from quests they did without reading? Oh, yes.

I've gotten into the habit of speeding on a road that's a mile from my house. If I ever get a ticket, do I blame the cops for the bad habit I've gotten myself into? Should the auto industry put a pop-up that asks if I'm SURE I want to go 55 in a 45?

The fault is with the players. THEY are the ones who didn't read, and it cost them. Mistakes carry consequences.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
"As powerful it is, at some point you know you will outgrow this staff. When that time comes, one of the Inkmasters in the Arboretum would most likely be interested in taking it from you."

I am not one to laugh at the pain of others, given that would be cruel. However, this is a game and the number of people complaining about their inability to read and simply apply logic leads me to a malicious chuckle.

I'm up to past 10 such malicious chuckles, and I give this thread two, because not only did OP spend a lot of time, they destroyed it unthinkingly, and didn't even go and read the threads stating that a GM can restore it.

Muahahahaha. AHAHAHAHA!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
To update,

Because I placed a ticket like 3 minutes after doing it, they said due to the unclear nature of the quest (which means many people don't read quests which they know.) they have restored the staff this time to the character that made it.

I got my staff back in the mail.

I think common sense has prevailed, all those people that just want to troll and say "oh why don't you read the quests" Like many, when the staff was made people are excited they want to equip it and think that the quest is part of a quest reward chain. (like me)

Sure I don't read all quests, 99% of people don't. But one does not expect after spending 20 days of farming to create an item that there is a risk that a quest, which usually rewards people, takes something so valuable away.

Either way the staff was restored which I am thankful, hopefully they totally change the way that quest is handled, because it keeps sucking people in.

They took back the 10 scrolls, the quest is now showing as being completed for the staff, either way I am happy with the service and the result.
Edited by Dalaron on 11/12/2012 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
19 Pandaren Monk
Am I the only one that laughed...a little bit?

I'm sorry that the poster lost her stuff, I really really am.
And I agree 100% with other posters that the quest was not hidden or anything. The staff didn't self destruct, the OP did it by not paying attention.

But...mph....I haz got deh giggles.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
RTFQL
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
11/12/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Dalaron
I think common sense has prevailed, all those people that just want to troll and say "oh why don't you read the quests" Like many, when the staff was made people are excited they want to equip it and think that the quest is part of a quest reward chain. (like me)

I think most of us feel for you, it is a little obscure the way the quest is handled. However, after spending 20-days working on the item, why wouldn't you take a minute or two to read up on the surprise quest that just leaped out at you?

That said though, I am glad you were able to get your staff restored. Hopefully Blizzard resolves the issue in 5.1 with all the requests for help the GMs have likely been getting. At least add a confirmation box are you sure you want to destroy your staff?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
11/12/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Madisón
Quite frankly, it has to do with policy more than anything. The rudest person will get their way, if it's something Blizzard can allow, and the nicest request will get turned down if they can't.

Not true at all. The way all customer service divisions work is that the polite but persistent people get served, and the rude people get the minimum amount of service. Its people handling your complaint, not robots. Politeness goes a long way.

I sympathise with the OP. I didn't get a weapon quest nuked, but mailing and equipping my stave caused no small amount of anxiety. Placed the weapon in the slot, instead of attempting a right click, turned off all questing mods(even if it had nothing to do with the type of quest) to make sure it wasn't screwed that way. Almost to my second weapon, and will take the same precautions, even when I know I don't need to. That's a ton of time wasted due to one quest txt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]