MMR Exploit's Effect on the Ladder

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Greetings,

As we all know, the bans have started to go out on accounts who exploited the ladder. The account actions have been documented publicly on this thread. As we can not discuss account action on this forum, we're left at a crossroads. How can we possible express discontent at how things were handled?

http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/233719-arena-exploit-fixed-mass-ban-incgear-removed/

According to this thread, the accounts were given 3 day bans, conquest gear removed and a team reset. However, people who were subject to these bans comment later on to say that MMR has not been reset. One even is happy to trade a 3 day ban for 5000 MMR in order to get rank 1 in the next season.

Those of us who do not cheat have been greatly punished for not cheating, and will not be able to compete for top ranks this season, and potentially any other season. This is because in addition to teams who cheated, there were others who didn't "cheat" but won games off these extreme MMRs. They would que against these teams over and over, defeating them soundly and move their way up the rankings while the other did not fall.

The lasting ramifications of this are an arena system with highly inflated MMR on people who cheated and who did not cheat. While theoretically, this would even out over time, the fact of the matter is, the cheaters are outside the general population's MMR bracket and will only que against each other, keeping their ratings.

MMR was created to put people of similar skills against each other. It was created as a 3rd rating after team rating was found to be no longer sufficient to put teams together. Personal rating was created to avoid people selling weekly points. Instead, it's putting cheaters in an entirely new bracket above the arena players who play fair.

One possible solution:
MMR and team ratings do not need to be completely reset to solve this problem. Players who have achieved greater than 2200 could be reduced to 2200, players in the 2k-2.1k range could be reduced to 2k and so forth. This would prevent the inevitable "newb" crushing that a full MMR reset would cause, but eliminate the "cheaters" bracket which is no longer reachable. This could also be implemented at the beginning of every season.
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Rogue
What about the teams who exploited to 2200 just to get the weapons? I counter that the only real fix is to completely start the season over with NEW AND RESET MMR's.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Permanently ban anyone who exploited. This way, all of the new 3k+ exp heroes along with their unearned T2 gear will be a non-issue. For the people who got T2 inadvertently off of the MMR of people who were exploiting, there isn't anything that can really be done at this point considering Blizzard's limitations when it comes to things like this (s9 comes to mind.)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
in before delete....
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well they could just not issue titles / mounts / rewards this season and open T2 up to any one that has the coin to purchase.

Problem solved.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Psyops
Permanently ban anyone who exploited. This way, all of the new 3k+ exp heroes along with their unearned T2 gear will be a non-issue. For the people who got T2 inadvertently off of the MMR of people who were exploiting, there isn't anything that can really be done at this point considering Blizzard's limitations when it comes to things like this (s9 comes to mind.)

This.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Just to be clear, there's a lot of rumors flying around about what has occurred in the wake of this issue. I recently updated the Arena Exploitation and Win Trading sticky to provide more clarity regarding how we're handling this situation.

It's worthy of note that, as of the time I'm posting this, these actions haven't yet been taken.
Edited by Daxxarri on 11/14/2012 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
<3
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
And this is why Arena will never be a legitimate e-sport.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
11/14/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Valygar
And this is why Arena will never be a legitimate e-sport.

Negative, the real reason is untrained spectators don't have a clue of what is going on.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thank you Daxx, keep up the good work with the second side of the community.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Just to be clear, there's a lot of rumors flying around about what has occurred in the wake of this issue. I recently updated the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7118303086"]Arena Exploitation and Win Trading[/url] sticky to provide more clarity regarding how we're handling this situation.

It's worthy of note that, as of the time I'm posting this, these actions haven't yet been taken.

+1 faith in Blizzard restored :D
Reply Quote
Just to be clear, there's a lot of rumors flying around about what has occurred in the wake of this issue. I recently updated the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7118303086"]Arena Exploitation and Win Trading[/url] sticky to provide more clarity regarding how we're handling this situation.

This needs to happen along with an arena ladder reset. Bugs like Stampede one shotting teams, Ring of Valor DC bug and this MMR exploit that has given teams an unfair boost in rating due to gaining rating legitly from exploiters.
Reply Quote

This needs to happen along with an arena ladder reset. Bugs like Stampede one shotting teams, Ring of Valor DC bug and this MMR exploit that has given teams an unfair boost in rating due to gaining rating legitly from exploiters.

then u should have ur elite gear removed too since tfb one shots people considering u played turbo cleave

Actually I played with a mage. The warrior also played with the mage on the team, but we didn't play together.

Next you'll tell me frost bomb one shots.

I've had 2.2 several times this season as enhance, but not due to bugs like pets doing 280,000 damage in a global to a person.

But sure, remove it. I'll get it again with any comp. Doesn't change the fact that ladders need to be reset.
Edited by Okay on 11/14/2012 9:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
I agree, start the ladder over for everyone and remove all conquest gear. For the people who didn't exploit and got banned anyway like a lot of my friends this would be fair to them also.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]