Shadowpriest PVP > Please read, pointers pls.

100 Undead Priest
TG
Having a chit-ton of troubles this expansion in arenas.

All I hear (and know) is that shadow priests are OP as hell compared to other casting classes, which I understand. But, only in damage-perspective.

I find it nearly impossible to win any twos games playing with a frost mage, because I get absolutely analed by half the classes I'm up against! Warriors, Death Knights, Ferals, Hunters, they all destroy me in a matter of seconds. Warriors are op, everyone knows that, but I just versed a feral that ate me up in like 6 seconds! Like I understand that I'm under-geared because I've only been 90 for about a week or so, but it's just fking dreadful trying to get my points.

Now for the DK topic, I always had issues with them in wotlk/cata in duels, but in cata I could easily 1v1 a deathknight with plenty of offheals. Nowadays, how the f*** am I supposed to offheal when I trinket a 5 second stun into a 5 second silence? lmFAO.. Okay, so I disperse, and then proceed to get destroyed in damage anyways.

How in the world do I counter these classes, and what comps should I be running in twos in order to get points? I feel like my only options are to run with a healer, which I dread doing..

Should I just give it time to get used to the shadow priest changes and learn how to counter these classes? Or am I really THAT far behind in gear (which is a major deciding factor now based on how pvp power/ resil is)?

Any tips are highly appreciated. Keep in mind I'm not some measly 1600 kid asking for advice, I've played for a long time and I've seen the ups/downs my class has had, I'm just getting extremely frustrated with how terrible my damage output is compared to some of these classes.

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone can help me out here.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You need to give us more specifics if you would like some help. Mage + Shadowpriest is probably the best comp you can run as a Shadowpriest in 2s so a healer will probably make things a bit more difficult for you if anything.

The main thing with this comp is positioning and mage providing a lot of peels.

Since you bring up DKs I will use a random DK + Resto Druid as an example:

1. Druid starts in stealth and Dk is out in the open so you open up on the DK
2. Druid pops out of stealth either with a cyclone or heals > Silence the druid and put some dots on him
3. Fear the Druid and he will trinket
4. Be expecting the trinket and as soon as he does this switch to him and blow him up in a deep freeze + CS

If you are facing DK + a second DPS you can pretty much blow the DK up because right after his AMS is gone he is screwed.
Edited by Spacecowboy on 11/14/2012 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I feel like you're maybe blowing cooldowns too early. If you're popping cooldowns as soon as someone lands CC on you, you've effectively just made yourself a prime kill target.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Learn everything you can about priest's. On arenajunkies.
Watch spriest streams.

Just dot a target mb. Always pop cds with your partner.
Please socket the right gems..

Hit cap > haste > mastery > crit.

Gems look at mine.

Besides that just lots of games.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
TG
Learn everything you can about priest's. On arenajunkies.
Watch spriest streams.

Just dot a target mb. Always pop cds with your partner.
Please socket the right gems..

Hit cap > haste > mastery > crit.

Gems look at mine.

Besides that just lots of games.

Popping CDs is a given, and so is hit cap. However, I was told I should be prioritizing PVP power to maximize damage.

However playing lots of games makes sense, I just need to get a feel for the new changes. (such as only MB'ing/dotting.) I also thought of switching the mind flay glyph, for the glyph that allows me to cast PoM in SF)

thanks for the tips dood
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
TG
11/14/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Spacecowboy
If you are facing DK + a second DPS you can pretty much blow the DK up because right after his AMS is gone he is screwed.

Sure, DKs die like a joke with no AMS. But, you're disregarding the fact that the deathknight can put in 200k damage in the time he has a 4second AMS up.. (I can disperse through this I guess, but we can't cc him while he has AMS on.)
Reply Quote
You probably shouldn't be having a hard time against melees with a frost mage partner, as he should be peeling for you. And even if it's an un-peelable warrior, shatterplay still has the most defensive cooldowns in game right now. Your off heals will save you, trust me, it;s worth switching out of form to self heal even if your are just at 50%, You have health swap, and his ice block / evocate, disperse, vampric embrace, your cooldown your chose in your talents (angelic bulwark etc. etc.) and the mage should be peeling. Shatterplay is one of the most super defensive comps in game. You can easily wait out a scrub teams rush and cd strat and then blow one up in a deepfreeze. You just ahve to use your abilities effectively. I hit 1400 in one day playing this strat so its a great way to gear up. Force teams to waste defensive's then blow them up when they get out of positions, and remember, los is your friend. A spriest's sustain damage is insane so dot up, and insta cast when available, your pressure should be fine since your mage is free casting peels and damage. Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Mage spriest is a very strong double dps comps, but you're right it's still hard to fight dk warr and comps like that. You can still win if you and your partner chain your ccs together and he peels you properly, while you run away to go heal. Basically you need to reset the match on who you're fighting. As in, they charge in, pop cds or whatever, you survive and heal to full, then you go back in and kill them while it's much easier since they don't have cds.

To be fair I'm being very general, but you could be a bit more specific on your main post(I didn't read the rest).

The best 2s comp right now either way for a spriest is healer, spriest. If both of you play correctly, you'll literally almost be un-killable.
I personally prefer a resto shaman but a rdruid is also very strong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Run with a resto shaman :]
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Sure, DKs die like a joke with no AMS. But, you're disregarding the fact that the deathknight can put in 200k damage in the time he has a 4second AMS up.. (I can disperse through this I guess, but we can't cc him while he has AMS on.)

DK shouldnt even be able to touch you during AMS. Once you get the hang of using spectral guise and fade/phantasm your comp will !@#$ on all melee teams. During AMS you are also immune to him closing with you. If he has already closed with you then you didnt start the fight properly.

Have your mage open the DK and either he popped AMS or he is rooted/taking a lot of damage. You spectral guise and there is even a good chance he grips your clone. After spectral guise come out with a VT > Fade>MB>SWP>etc. Now even if he closes with you you have an orb to disarm him with and AMS is either down or he is getting very low. During spectral guise and then Fade you are positioning yourself to fear his healer.
Edited by Spacecowboy on 11/15/2012 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
First off, we're not overpowered in any way, and Blizzard agrees with us.

The only reason people think we are over powered is because up until this expansion, we've basically been forcing a gimped spec to work in pvp. I mean it took them half way through Wrath to give us a second form of CC other then Psychic Scream and even then it was on a long cooldown and wasn't that effective against warriors and rogues.

Second, it's all about movement and watching your enemies actions. Really, we're able to kill nearly every enemy through clever use of our abilities, and using those abilities at the right times...

For example... don't fear a warrior when he uses berserker rage, play defensive when a Dk blows his shield, work on dispelling a mage's shield when it's up, etc.

Power Auras work wonderfully for this since you can create auras that show when an enemy has certain buffs.
Edited by Direshadows on 11/15/2012 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]