Chi Wave or Zen Sphere?

100 Human Monk
I am asking for pvp reasons, if it's 1v1 with no other allys around than Chi Wave is beautiful and heals like a champ, but with other allies there is a chance it will bounce to them, I was wondering if Zen Sphere is very good. Don't tell me to go experiment if i wanted to do that i would have.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
In PvP? I would think Chi Wave would be better. It seems more effective when there are fewer targets around due to proximity to the target, but I don't PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It depends if you want burst damage and healing or not. For the chi cost zen sphere will always do both more healing and damage especially single target. The issue is that it takes x/seconds to do it. Zen sphere has worked for me but like both chi burst and chi wave it can break cc so you need to be selective with it's use. I not would use chi wave for pvp because it can't be controlled(it randomly will break fears, sleeps, etc). Chi burst or zen sphere are your options imo because you can control the aoe.
Edited by Tipsykick on 10/27/2012 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
When neither of them are bugged, there are very few circumstances under which ZS is better than CW.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I don't think any of those second tier talent can rival Chi Wave in a 1v1 scenario, but given that when you PvP, you certainly can't always pick the ideal scenario, Zen Sphere would be more reliable as an all arounder. It also has no cooldown, meaning as long as you generate Chi, you can have a constant source of instant/AoE healing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Chi Wave on paper heals a ton more than Zen Sphere. It hits for me for about 20k and in a 1v1 situation, that means when combined with my self cast macro, I get 4 x 20k hits for about 80k total healing in less than 2 seconds, on an 8 sec cooldown. If all of them crit that's 160k healing in 2 seconds (extremely unlikely to ever happen.)

But the main concept is the potential amount of self healing compared to Zen Sphere is enormous. Zen Sphere you know exactly how much healing you're going to get, and it's nice but it pales in comparison to the max potential of Chi Wave. The problem comes in with PvP complications like targets running away dropping the bounce or increasing the duration it has to travel. Not to mention having no bounces at all.

Zen Sphere doesn't have those problems and will always heal you for what it says it will. It's just a trade off that you have to decide for yourself which is the better way to go.

As for me, I rock Chi Wave all day and frankly am praying it never sees the nerf bat.
Reply Quote
95 Draenei Shaman
I use zen sphere atm, but I'm not happy with it. it doesn't really do anything that can't be done with enveloping mist.

I'm thinking of switching it over to chiwave, as one thing i'm really lacking at lvl 38 is a good group wide heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Chi Wave is much better than Zen Sphere.
First Chi Wave is a smart spell it doesn't hit CC opponents and it will target the lowest HP friendly. Heals for a great amount on an 8 second CD use it on CD and your healing can really affect the outcome of the PvP you get into.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I use zen sphere atm, but I'm not happy with it. it doesn't really do anything that can't be done with enveloping mist.

I'm thinking of switching it over to chiwave, as one thing i'm really lacking at lvl 38 is a good group wide heal.

In PvP situations, which this thread is about, you don't always have the chance to throw a Soothing Mist to make Enveloping Mist instant. And hard casting Enveloping Mist puts you at an even greater risk. This puts Zen Sphere ahead.

For 5man, which seems to be what you're talking about, Chi Wave throws Zen Sphere out of the water. It's also an absolute killer for questing(you vs a mob). It's really a no brainer to pick Chi Wave over Zen Sphere in every single time, at the exception of PvP and raiding. Those are the two situations where Zen Sphere can become better.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Chi Wave is much better than Zen Sphere.
First Chi Wave is a smart spell it doesn't hit CC opponents and it will target the lowest HP friendly. Heals for a great amount on an 8 second CD use it on CD and your healing can really affect the outcome of the PvP you get into.

That's great, and the OP is aware of all that, but you don't ALWAYS want your Chi Wave to bounce off the lowest HP friendly player. You want it to stay between you and the enemy player, and bounce off quickly. Unfortunately, there's no reliable way to ensure that that will happen when there are allies around.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/28/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Ambooh
That's great, and the OP is aware of all that, but you don't ALWAYS want your Chi Wave to bounce off the lowest HP friendly player. You want it to stay between you and the enemy player, and bounce off quickly. Unfortunately, there's no reliable way to ensure that that will happen when there are allies around.

Well, you can cast it on yourself, guaranteeing that you get one hit, and since that one hit is pretty nearly equivalent to the healing you'd get over the entire duration of Zen Sphere, I think Chi Wave wins even though you can't control where it bounces.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]