Why would a kitty ever use Shred?

90 Tauren Druid
Would be nice if Shred came out at more like 10% ahead of Mangle, would let the good players stand out a bit more.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
11/01/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Dewan
Do players not glyph into shred? about 60% of the time you dont even need to be behind your target to shred.

Glyphing Shred is only really a good option for soloing and questing. In the case of raids Shreding in front of the boss opens you up to being parried which will be more of a dps loss then having to reposition.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This thread has made my good feral head hurt >.<
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/30/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Katamei
shred probably isnt even worth using

Big no. Shred > Mangle if u can shred no matter what. PvP isn't about dps. It's about bursting. and Shred >>>>>>>>>>> Mangle. end of story.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
RoC
IMO , mangle is better for pvp . its cheaper and needs no position. i do have shred glyphed so i use it when i can
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
RoC
Big no. Shred > Mangle if u can shred no matter what. PvP isn't about dps. It's about bursting. and Shred >>>>>>>>>>> Mangle. end of story.
PVP is about survivability. Manglespam to 5 cp for a PS proc is much better than a shredspam burst, imo.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm surprised no one mentioned that shred also extends the duration of rip
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
RoC
11/05/2012 02:14 AMPosted by Xiggy

because building up cp to a 5cp rip isnt difficult. so focusing on refreshing rip with shred or whatever is a dps loss.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/05/2012 04:42 AMPosted by Spetnas
because building up cp to a 5cp rip isnt difficult

Building up a 5cp rip can be difficult when you are keeping all of your bleeds plus a (more reasource conscious) SR up. All the while controling a team, peeling, or generaly not tunneling one guy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I thought my points mentioned earlier in the thread would be enough to sway people from lazy, misinformed gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Mangle also extends the duration of rip. Not saying mangle should be used over shred in most situations, just saying it can be extended with mangle in addition to shred and ravage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

because building up cp to a 5cp rip isnt difficult. so focusing on refreshing rip with shred or whatever is a dps loss.

Are you off your rocker? No it's not. For Pve, unless you cannot get behind the boss Mangle shouldn't even be on your damage meter. Shred > Mangle, always. It really isn't something that can be argued.

Pvp wise if you can't set up on a target and stay behind them-either you or your teammates need a little bit of help. Even with all the fears, stuns and cc it's not that difficult to shred your way to 5 cp.

11/05/2012 05:01 AMPosted by Earthreaver
because building up cp to a 5cp rip isnt difficult

Building up a 5cp rip can be difficult when you are keeping all of your bleeds plus a (more reasource conscious) SR up. All the while controling a team, peeling, or generaly not tunneling one guy.

Keeping up SR should be second nature by this point. If you are struggling use the glyph or if you want an easier way to step up, use the glyph. Keeping up SR 100% is in no way difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
RoC
Are you off your rocker? No it's not. For Pve, unless you cannot get behind the boss Mangle shouldn't even be on your damage meter. Shred > Mangle, always. It really isn't something that can be argued.

Pvp wise if you can't set up on a target and stay behind them-either you or your teammates need a little bit of help. Even with all the fears, stuns and cc it's not that difficult to shred your way to 5 cp.

You overlooked the part where I said FOCUSING. Anyways

11/05/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Rayen
Keeping up SR should be second nature by this point. If you are struggling use the glyph or if you want an easier way to step up, use the glyph. Keeping up SR 100% is in no way difficult.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

I actually laughed at this. I hope people don't actually take advice from people like this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The real question here is, why would you ever want to use Mangle over Claw?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
While Shred may be used less often thanks to the positioning requirement and energy cost, it is great against bleeding targets and when used interchangeably with Mangle. If a target turns around and faces you, then it's mangle time. But if you have the luxury to be non-mobile on a raid mob per se, you can just chill at their back and spam Shred with bleeds and buffs mixed in. It also increases Rip by 2 seconds twice, which is no laughing matter when you have a 5-cp rip on a target.

PvP-wise, shred is great for burst while the target is stunned from a maim or pounce, etc, and is great when a player is actively running away from you. Bleeds mean everything, especially in pvp, and an attack that benefits from them (and a bleed benefits from it) is what can be the difference between an alive and dead player. If you can balance your usage of mangle and shred, mangle for quick burst and cp build, shred for mega burst when you have the energy.

Basically shred, while it has some downsides, is a general dps/burst gain in all environments. Though it may seem like a hassle to use, it can be effectively utilized when used in correspondence with other cp builders.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warlock
Even though it's already been mentioned several times already, shred, rake, and MANGLE all extend rip's duration. Read Rip's tooltip people.

To the OP, use the combo filler you want. Obviously you always want to be behind your target when you attack, but MoP has made each spell close to each other. This isn't Cata anymore, do the math, simcraft it, or just attack a dummy. The gap between shred and mangle has been closed considerably.

To the people who say "shred hits 20% harder on bleeding targets" again do the math, simcraft it , or smack a dummy for awhile. The overall damage increase of using shred over mangle is approximately 3% (your combo filler on most bosses in MSV is about 20-25% of your total damage).

TLDR; unless you're in a bleeding edge guild where every 1% counts, use the spell you feel most comfortable with OP.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I wonder, is there a way to make a macro, that if you can use shred, you use shred but if it fails it goes to mangle?

I love having my 2 primary abilities in Q and E, but with feral it seems I use one, or the other. with pve it's mostly shred, so having mangle keybound is useless, but you still need it while soloing.

e.g.: with my frost dk, I have Obliterate on E and frost strike on Q.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]