Warlocks in Challenge Modes (Bronze or Golds)

90 Undead Warlock
I've had a few fellow Warlocks make level 1s on my server and a ton of Warlocks on my server come to me and ask questions about how Warlocks are in challenge modes, what spec they should be and why, what strats we used, why I used certain glyphs, etc.

So I'd like to make this thread to answer any questions other Warlocks might have to hopefully save them the time of looking through streams, videos of kills, or making level 1s to ask other people. To help them progress through Challenge modes rather it be Bronze or Golds, hopefully other warlocks who have achieved Gold can also help me in answering some questions people have since Challenge modes are extremely fun and really test your knowledge of Warlocks and min-maxing to shave off seconds to sweep Golds.

Try to keep this thread clean of trolling, complaints, or bashing one another...I don't care if you post on your main or making a level 56 DK to ask questions, I'm here to help others who might be struggling and hopefully clear up some concerns people have with warlocks in challenge modes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Maybe you should start by telling us right now the FAQs instead of just being all like ''heh look at me, everyone whisper me, so talk to me here''. At least this could start your thread in a good way instead of simply showing off your transmo.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
In no way at all did I say "Heh look at me, my transmog explains enough." Challenge modes are way too broad to simple say "Ok heres the FAQs" because all it would be is "What spec should I be for X dungeon and why" and that would pretty much entail that I write a guide, which I'd much rather just answer simple questions that people might have and will be useful to that person.

People complain about the warlock community not having enough help or information, but when someone offers it, then it's just them wanting to brag and show off. I'd gladly go change my transmog to something else if it will ease your mind of me just wanting to brag.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
11/04/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Kodyxoxo
I'd gladly go change my transmog to something else if it will ease your mind of me just wanting to brag.

Don't you dare.
Reply Quote
Will a "good" player ever have a chance at this or is it god-mode locks only?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
@ Yoshia - Most basic 'rotation' for affliction is keeping dots up at all times, keeping your haunt up-times as high as possible unless you are able to multi-dot, using MG as your filler til 20% then replace MG with Drain Soul.

Most basic 'rotation' for Demo is keeping up Corruption and Doom close to 100% up-time, using procs on Soul Fire, Meta to Touch of Chaos and refreshing Doom. Single target Demo is pretty self-explanatory, aoe is a bit different...To maximize aoe as demo, Tabbing Doom on everything with aoes like Hellfire / Harvest Life / Chaos Wave and Felguard's aoe is extremely good.

I'd recommend Affliction if you're just leveling through quests, grabbing full shards from a Drain Soul sniping on mobs when they're about to die will yield a ton of aoe pulling with Soulburn: Soul Swap with not much downtime at all. Demo / Affliction aoe in dungeons is different, if you have a pull where mobs need to be aoe'd down ASAP (maybe a spell that won't be interrupted will gib a tank without a CD) then Demo is really good, overall affliction and demo aoe are both extremely good.

Not to say destro isn't good at challenge modes / 5 mans, I was destro for a few of our Gold runs for specific reasons, it's aoe isn't as good as Demo/Affliction at the moment though.

@Mouse - Challenge modes (when going for gold) are difficult, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't mean it's out of bounds for anyone who really wants to try for them. If you found a dedicated group willing to wipe and find a perfect strat that works for you, you can get it. Feel free to ask any, basic or not, questions and I'll do my best to help you out...Anything to get more warlocks involved in obtaining this awesome Transmog and representing our class more!
Edited by Kodyxoxo on 11/4/2012 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
What's the most dependable warlock spec to go with overall for challenge modes?
Reply Quote
Do you get one piece (of the betrayer gear) per gold challenge completion or the full set?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
11/04/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Kodyxoxo
aoe is a bit different...To maximize aoe as demo, Tabbing Doom on everything with aoes like Hellfire / Harvest Life / Chaos Wave and Felguard's aoe is extremely good.

I disagree with you here.

In challenge modes, its pretty much burst between trash and bosses. dotting them is not worth it, I found it best to use Chaos wave, felstorm, service felstorm, carrion swarm(glyphed), immolation aura and void ray for the aoe pulls.

11/04/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Neueziel

Demo is by far the best spec but its more important you play what you play best.

Demo's burst aoe is amazing and you can stock up on DF for amazing burst boss dps.

I went affliction for Sha of Violence and Raigonn's weak spot, I'm sure I went affliction for some other damage controlled fights like the last boss in Scolomance for example.
Edited by Atrocities on 11/4/2012 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/04/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Neueziel

As Atrocities said, Demo is the most used, but it varies and whatever you are most comfortable playing.

11/04/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Mouse
Do you get one piece (of the betrayer gear) per gold challenge completion or the full set?

You have to complete them all to buy the set.

I disagree with you here.

In challenge modes, its pretty much burst between trash and bosses. dotting them is not worth it, I found it best to use Chaos wave, felstorm, service felstorm, carrion swarm(glyphed), immolation aura and void ray for the aoe pulls.

Demo is by far the best spec but its more important you play what you play the best.

Demo's burst aoe is amazing and you can stock up on DF for amazing burst boss dps.

I went affliction for Sha of Violence and Raigonn's weak spot, I'm sure I went affliction for some other damage controlled fights like the last boss in Scolomance for example.

My "dot everything doom" was more meant for raids etc since his question wasn't directly towards challenge modes, but I 100% agree with you as far as bursting trash down between bosses. For example the trash pack after the first boss in Scarlet Monastery was huge on burst since we pulled the 2 drunk guys with the pat for kills, demo was amazing for that...but for trash mobs that don't need burst and can save time respeccing Affliction was also really good.

I was destruction for Scholomance because there wasn't as much aoe and I could start a boss fight with full embers and CDs, and because the potion on the last boss yielded more damage with Destro over Affliction...just an example of pretty much any spec works for challenge modes, but I agree it's whatever you are more comfortable with most of the time.

edit: it's also somewhat comp dependent, I mostly ran with a Frost/Fire mage, Surv/BM hunter, and a Prot pally...so aoe was never an issue for us at all and I was able to do very well with affliction/destro on boss fights if saved up Shards(plus an extra from a trash pack before for more haunts) or full embers with CDs to nuke boss faster.
Edited by Kodyxoxo on 11/4/2012 3:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
1) did you have a dedicated group?
2) what class combination did you use?
3) what was the normal dps you guys did on successful runs?
4) is this feasable with getting a few people off trade chat? or do you need crazy good synergy.
5) what was the most challenging dungeon / dungeons & how did you overcome the biggest hurdles?
6) i play almost exclusively destruction, Will that be feasible for most runs? or will i have to bust out my demon spec (& learn to play it)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
What trinkets would you recommend for challenge modes?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
1) did you have a dedicated group?
2) what class combination did you use?
3) what was the normal dps you guys did on successful runs?
4) is this feasable with getting a few people off trade chat? or do you need crazy good synergy.
5) what was the most challenging dungeon / dungeons & how did you overcome the biggest hurdles?
6) i play almost exclusively destruction, Will that be feasible for most runs? or will i have to bust out my demon spec (& learn to play it)

1) I did

2) We started with Spriest / Prot Warrior / Holy Pala / Bm/Surv hunter which turned into Fire/Frost mage / Holy pala / Prot pala / Bm/Surv hunter when we decided to push golds. The change of group didn't have to do with comp, it was just to adjust to more dedicated people.

3) Hard to say, it really depends on the boss, I'd say a normal tank and spank (as close to it as it gets) probably 80k~ from all the dps, with the healer doing around 2m damage...hard to say for our tank, depends on how hard he gets hit. I can only really speak on bosses, trash is really hard to gauge, too broad of a situation.

4) It's possible to do it that way, but our group's synergy was extremely good and we all played amazing with each other...I'd say the most important is the healer and tank synergy with CDs.

5) Some of the most difficult ones ( for us) were Brewery / Scarlet Monastery, Brewery just because...for us, it had a tight dps race for the last boss. Our Holy pala just went ret for that and we zergged the boss before we had to kill adds. Scarlet Monastery because our tank kept getting gibbed on the trash pack after the first boss, we just had to sort out interrupts and play better.

6) It's entirely possible to do every instance and obtain gold as Destruction, you'll just have some hard times during burst aoe pulls...You'll be beating your head against wall, as I said it's do-able, will just be a bit frustrating sometimes, you might have to grab a demo spec :P :(

Sorry for the late response, raiding atm but trying!

Trinkets depend on what you have available, which trinkets do you have currently?
Edited by Kodyxoxo on 11/4/2012 5:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
another question.

Do you have to do each achievement on the one character? or if you do most of it it on your hunter, and finish it off with the warlock, can the warlock get the gear? (account wide achievements?)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Account wide achievements (as far as I know) do not work with Challenge modes, you must obtain all Bronze/Silver/Golds on the same character to get the rewards.

Off-topic, having Meng (Spirit kings) first is horrible and makes me hate life.
Edited by Kodyxoxo on 11/4/2012 5:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Which challenge mode did you find to be the easiest? What spec/glyphs do you recommend for that challenge mode? Are there any Warlock "tricks" you can fill us in on for that challenge mode?

Did you use a separate set to get your hit down to 6% exactly?

How much CC did you use?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Easiest to us was probably Shado-pan or Gate of the setting sun. I was Affliction for both -

Shado-pan, if you pull the whole room of the first part spam SoC for max AoE and multi-dot the Sha's after the first boss. My glyphs were standard: Healthstone - Siphon Life - Soul Shard, I swap Healthstone with Soul Consumption for some Challenge modes because the clutch healing after killing a mob with Drain Soul.

Gate of the Setting Sun, I was Affliction also with the same glyphs as above. Pretty straight foward, keep dots on everything you can with rolling Tongues on casters...we all stacked in smoke bombs for more / faster damage.

I did not use a separate set, never found a need for it. We never used CC that I can remember...most of it was zergged and controlled with interrupts / curse of tongues. Curse of tongues is HUGELY underrated in Challenge modes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I know gear gets scaled down, but is there a recommened set of gear? Does it all have to be epics/heroic blues, or can you get away with Justice, quest, and even green gear?

The class that I want to try this on is my Blood DK. My guild and I are trying it casually, but I'm sure we'd like to do the best that we can with the gear/skill/people we have. Our healer will probably be a holy priest, and one of our range is Destro most of the time. So is this a good comp so far? Do we need anyone specific to finish it off?

From easiest to hardest, keeping in mind the first 3 players, which modes should we do? At least in your opinion.

I'm sure enchants/gems are important/standard, but do we have to be min/maxers just to do decent or can we gear like how a casual player would do normal raids?

How important are CCs vs Stuns and interrupts? I know the first few times we should take it slow, but how much can a tank pull on average and expect the healers to keep them up?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
How well do rogues perform on challenge modes? If you've been with one. How important is Shroud of Concealment?

Is chain stunning adds, like cheap shotting one, redirect into a kidney, vanish and cheap shot on another add viable? Or should we focus on damage?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]