Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

Community Manager
November 14 Update!

• Entry into the brawler’s guild is by invitation only. Invitations can be found on the black market auction house, by invitation from somebody within the guild, and occasionally as drops from certain Horde and Alliance NPCs.

Yes, we’re breaking the first rule of Brawler’s Guild.

For those of you that haven’t been following along, the Brawler’s Guild is a new feature being introduced to World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria in patch 5.1. This new part of the World of Warcraft has generated a lot of excitement--not to mention a few questions--so we’re going to try to provide a clearer picture of what we’re hoping to accomplish with the Brawler’s Guild in this thread.

First, a little bit about what it is, and what it isn’t:

What Brawler’s Guild Is
  • A fun, but small diversion that could grow in time
  • A venue for a realm’s community to come together
  • A unique way to earn some solo PvE bragging rights
  • A cool place to hang out

What Brawler’s Guild Isn’t
  • A means of solo progression
  • A major patch feature accessible to everyone (at first)
  • A way to earn lots of in-game rewards
  • Proving Grounds where you can develop class skills (that’s a different feature arriving later on)

So, to sum up, we’re trying to give the Brawler’s Guild a tight knit, underground kind of feel, and we expect the Guild on each realm to slowly grow to encompass more and more of the population over time. Because invites will be so limited, it’s likely that a lot of the players that join the Brawler’s Guild will have had some kind of interaction with one or more existing members before they ever step into the ring. Finally, a smaller population will help keep the queues low for quite a while – since a big part of the Brawler’s Guild is watching other players fight their own battles, right now instancing arenas or using phasing isn’t an attractive option.

About Those Invites
Invites to the Guild will (at least initially) only be available for purchase on the Black Market Auction House. We’ve taken this approach both to control queue times, and also because the Brawler’s Guild is meant to be kind of a small, underground thing, and a way for players on a realm to come together. At first, that will happen because invites will go out from one player to another based on who buys those initial Black Market invites. After reaching a certain rank in the Brawler’s Guild, each of the new members can eventually earn one new invitation of their own to pass out to someone else on the same realm, so the Brawler’s Guilds on each realm should get progressively larger and larger over time. We may also investigate alternate methods of acquiring invitations or making them more plentiful.

World First?
We’ve also decided that attaching a realm first style achievement to the Brawler’s Guild isn’t necessarily the right move. Rest assured that there will be other achievements to earn in the ring though.

We know you’ve got questions, so ask away, and we’ll try to clarify where things are hazy.
Edited by Daxxarri on 11/14/2012 2:08 PM PST
90 Worgen Hunter
Please make them more than 1 per person. BrG'll be monopolized, and I think that might be the solution to it.
Edited by Lupello on 11/8/2012 10:57 AM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
Don't you mean it's a place for people to hang out, heckle, criticize, and ridicule each other ending in players griefing each other in trade chat and inevitably being reported?

Because, frankly, that IS what anything public ends up being.
Edited by Foxyvinny on 11/8/2012 11:00 AM PST
90 Worgen Rogue
Will the size of the server be taken into account, as far as the number of initial invitations on the BMAH is concerned?
90 Blood Elf Priest
So... how is this different than AFKing in Org then?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What will the required rank be for inviting a player? Revered, Exalted, or will the guild work differently than a faction reputation?
90 Goblin Shaman
It sounds a nice feature to try next year. I can't afford the huge amounts of gold it will be going in the begining...
90 Draenei Hunter
Gold sink to experience new content? Color me not interested.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/08/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Foxyvinny
Invites are currently being listed on the Black Market Auction house. You win an invite, and can then invite others.

11/08/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Daxxarri
After reaching a certain rank in the Brawler’s Guild, each of the new members can eventually earn one new invitation of their own to pass out to someone else on the same realm, so the Brawler’s Guilds on each realm should get progressively larger and larger over time. We may also
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
11/08/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Daxxarri
We’ve also decided that attaching a realm first style achievement to the Brawler’s Guild isn’t necessarily the right move. Rest assured that there will be other achievements to earn in the ring though.

glad to see this. While it would have been a nice feat of everyoe had an equal shot at it. It just wasn't fair with current implimentation
90 Orc Warrior

World First?
We’ve also decided that attaching a realm first style achievement to the Brawler’s Guild isn’t necessarily the right move.

This should solve the only reasonable issue about Brawler's Guild - sadly, nothing will stop the torrential onslaught of whining and complaining from the loudmouths who largely ignore the content that's already in front of them in favor of complaining about what they might be missing in the future.

Looking forward to this feature, though. Thanks!
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm glad you're taking the "world first" achievement out. It would have been basically buying an achievement, and that--personally--bothered me as much as this choke-hold on invites does.

On paper, and from a character/RP standpoint, I do agree limited invitations and invited ONLY by invitation feels very immersive.

In practise, this is going to make getting into the Guild hell, because you're basically putting this in the hands of players, and forcing the population of any given realm to rely on other players' generousity or good will.

...This will just end badly.
90 Draenei Shaman
This was, at its initial announcement, the first feature in this game I've been truly *excited* about in perhaps 5 years. Because, I absolutely *LOVE* the idea of "A unique way to earn some solo PvE bragging rights".

Unfortunately, this particular implementation is so completely backwards, that I have lost ALL of that excitement and it has instead become another check-mark in the list of reasons why I will not be adding any more game time to this account once my current card runs down. There is nothing (at all, in the least, period, I can't express this enough) fun about the concept of either waiting another 6 months for the prices to finally come down, or begging and bowing and scraping to the top guilds or AH barons on the server just for an invite. Not. Fun At. All. It's just *NOT* worth it.

If you want to bring communities together, doing so by making *access* to new content a competitive reward is not the answer. Making completion of the content competitive? Sure, that works wonders. But *ACCESS*?! No. Terrible, terrible decision and I am beyond disappointed by your lack of vision.
90 Human Priest
LOL on the bmah? So essentially a fight club for the skull and bones. Because.this basically means its.going to (at.first) be a rich guys club. Sorry for periods I am on a cell phone with fat fingers.
90 Draenei Hunter
Guarantee it goes like this:

Richest folks on the server buy up all the invites at bid cap.

As soon as they reach the ability to invite new people the trade spam begins:

"WTS Brawlers Guild inv if you have to ask the price you cant afford it."

Shameful..
90 Gnome Warlock
And none of this explains, links to, or discusses what BG actually is, what you do there, or why you would want to buy an invite in the first place. And, no, I shouldn't have to "google it".
90 Pandaren Priest
You guys do realize that the invites start at only 1k and there are 10 posted a day, right?

No?

Okay keep being mad then.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]