Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

90 Draenei Hunter
Selling the first invite on bmah is a mistake.

Gold capped guilds are the only ones that will get the invite.

Their entire guild will be the only ones to be in the brawlers guild.

It's going to just be a guild that controls it.

Then people will sell invites to people that have money.

[Trade Chat] WTB Invite to Brawler's guild 20k.

[Trade Chat] WTS invite to brawlers guild 20k.

They way it should have been done is Made dailies for the Brawlers Guild rep. Once you are exalted you can join.

Here comes the dailies hate.

NO LEE GO AWAY FROM THE HEAD LEE!!!
1 Draenei Shaman
I got an idea. Why don't you make it available with lesser charms of fortune. You know the silver coins we get from doing dailies.
This way you can award the players that are actually active on their realm and contribute to the community by interacting actively with each other.

1 ticket = 1000 silver coins

Gold is equally available to everyone. Even your level 1 shaman here can make gold.

Also if this succeeds as a gold sink, with invites capping on the BMAH, it will make gold itself more valuable, and things like crafting and even gathering more profitable for everyone.

True gold is available for anyone. However, people play this game for different amount of time, meaning an older player will most probably have more gold that a newer one.

The way i am suggesting, they all need to start from scratch and thus will have EQUAL opportunity of getting a ticket. Also, my way promotes interaction rather AH camping. You see the difference?
1 Pandaren Rogue

Flying isn't content. Back in the day, each rank of mount riding (or just mount before they added riding as a standardized skill) was a gift to the player for saving the money to buy it. Some areas in BC required flying to access, though it was an arbitrary design choice. Now, it's taken as a standard.

That said, they still gate flying each expansion to slow down leveling and force us to admire the environment, which we often forget to do. In Northrend, it was assumed we couldn't handle the cold, despite some of us having undead characters and mounts. In Cataclysm, the invisible world police required we be licensed to fly. In Pandaria, we freak out about mist or something, despite flying through kvaldir mists in Northrend.

In this case, we are actually being denied content due to gold, which I believe is generally unprecedented. Rare mounts are exclusive due to luck and dedication. Rare gear (challenge transmogs) is exclusive due to luck and skill. As of its current implementation, this is exclusive due to gold.

You said it yourself, there is & was content exclusive due to gold requirements, except you called it a "gift". I paid thousands of gold to fly and access all the content Pandaria has to offer, just as I did in Cataclysm, just as I did in Wrath of the Lich King.

In this case the limitation is merely to slow down the very beginning. I'm fine with that. It took me a month to get to 90, and I'm still in the process of finishing reputations and gearing up for the two new LFRs. I don't expect to be able to jump into every single thing on day 1.

Flying is not the same; please stop trying to equate it as such. Nothing is gated behind flying - you pay a few thousand gold that you get while leveling for the luxury of flying around. Someone else having 30 million gold has no effect on your ability and choice to purchase or not purchase flying.

Someone else having 30 million gold certainly will affect my ability to enter into the Brawler's Guild because he just cap the auction from the start and only feel a slight tickle to his pocket book.

This is not just gating behind gold, but catering to the super rich.
90 Troll Warrior

Gold is equally available to everyone. Even your level 1 shaman here can make gold.

Also if this succeeds as a gold sink, with invites capping on the BMAH, it will make gold itself more valuable, and things like crafting and even gathering more profitable for everyone.

This is outright not true. Gold is more available to the people who have gold. If someone needed 100k, it would be much much easier for someone with 20k to reach that amount than someone with 2g.

There's an interesting article I once read that detailed how to quickly amass a thousand or so gold via the daily cooking quests. It was pretty interesting.

Anyways, I'm having a hard time taking your word for anything. This isn't the real world. There are no banks or interest or hedge funds.
90 Dwarf Paladin
11/08/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Rangikuu
The current plan is to furnish 10 new Bind on Pickup invites on the Black Market Auction House each day, so anyone trying to control all the invitations on a realm would have to have quite a fortune, and be willing to spend it all on nothing more than simply delaying, not stopping, other players from joining the Guild.

I know several who have the means and the ilk to do just that...

A fool and their money will so be parted. IF that is how they want to spend their money it will be gone in a flash.
This is outright not true. Gold is more available to the people who have gold. If someone needed 100k, it would be much much easier for someone with 20k to reach that amount than someone with 2g.

The person with 20k gold started somewhere.

I started MoP with about 23k. I'm just over 80k now. After spending plenty of gold to level professions, buy crafted gear, pandaland flying on 2 characters, all levels of mount training on this character, one of the cheap yaks, the Tiller's exalted goats, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't have to spend gold on.

Yes, if you have a ton of gold, it is easier to make a ton of gold. If you have 2 gold (which, if you are 90, there is absolutely no way for that to be the case) you can still make gold, maybe not as fast but you can still make it. And as you gain gold, your ability to make gold increases.

I was casually working towards the Grand Expedition Yak, but now I'm going to set that coin aside for the Brawler's Guild. If you don't want to make gold, then don't. But don't complain about things being expensive when you choose to be poor.
90 Undead Warlock
Unfortunately, I don't really care. Not switching specs, gems and reforges just for silly bragging rights and achv pts. Much like Challenge Modes. Opportunity - Swing and a miss!
90 Undead Monk

There's an interesting article I once read that detailed how to quickly amass a thousand or so gold via the daily cooking quests. It was pretty interesting.

Anyways, I'm having a hard time taking your word for anything. This isn't the real world. There are no banks or interest or hedge funds.

My point was that gold isnt equally available to everyone. Common misconception by people with large amounts of gold.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Sounds interesting thanks!

+1 thumbs up !
My point was that gold isnt equally available to everyone. Common misconception by people with large amounts of gold.

Except it is equally available to everyone.
90 Undead Monk
11/08/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Redlukey

The person with 20k gold started somewhere.

I started MoP with about 23k. I'm just over 80k now. After spending plenty of gold to level professions, buy crafted gear, pandaland flying on 2 characters, all levels of mount training on this character, one of the cheap yaks, the Tiller's exalted goats, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't have to spend gold on.

Yes, if you have a ton of gold, it is easier to make a ton of gold. If you have 2 gold (which, if you are 90, there is absolutely no way for that to be the case) you can still make gold, maybe not as fast but you can still make it. And as you gain gold, your ability to make gold increases.

I was casually working towards the Grand Expedition Yak, but now I'm going to set that coin aside for the Brawler's Guild. If you don't want to make gold, then don't. But don't complain about things being expensive when you choose to be poor.

While I agree, gold is by no means hard to aquire, it is still a very poor/lazy way to gate content. I have stated in this thread already that I too am putting gold aside just to get one of these invites, but I donot at all agree with it being the entry method.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Daxxari,

I hardly ever post, and never about topics like this, but this one has really annoyed me. I've been playing, quietly and loyally, since launch, and have maintained acceptance and a positive attitude throughout that time. In this case, though, Blizzard is, in my opinion, making a huge mistake that is upsetting many, many players. The isolation of solo content, even for a short time, to only the super-rich, feels like an insult (even if it's not intended as such).

This goes beyond buying vanity items and single-tier upgrades at the BMAH, or buying giant yak or rocket mounts. This isn't limited-interest content, like a new raid or battleground. Everybody loves the concept, everyone wants to participate, and 99.9% of us are being told that we can't because we're simply not wealthy enough.

You want to gate the content, that's clear. But my question is, why? If you want the small-club feel, why not delay the feature until you have the tech to enable multiple instances that small numbers of people can be permanently assigned to? If you want to only have one instance, then why not equalize the passes by giving most of them out randomly, or making it an inexpensive, single-purchase-only raffle (with maybe only one or two passes per server also available on BMAH)?

You may not have intended this to be something big, but it's obviously extremely popular and anticipated content, and your unwillingness to budge from your wealth-centered content delivery mechanism is both disappointing and wholly unfair to the vast majority of your paying customers.

Quoted. This is what i felt in my previous post :) But the way you present it is much much better than mine xD Love the thoughts.
90 Pandaren Monk
11/08/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Daxxarri

Are you really that surprised? People have been asking for more solo-content for YEARS. Like for as long as I can remember. So here you are, finally delivering what purports to be challenging solo-content, and you've decided to limit access to wealth.

And you're wondering why people are both excited for this feature and at the same time frustrated with the design choices you've made?

No, we're not surprised, but World of Warcraft hasn't traditionally been about solo content, either. Really, it still isn't - while you fight alone at the Brawler's Guild, you're surrounded by your peers. It's, at least in spirit, still social.

The whole thing is very much an experiment.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the feedback we're receiving on this isn't being ignored, and that we're still considering alternate methods of distributing the invitations.

I think you will find that the social aspect of it is ancillary to many of the players. What will interest people is the ability to show what they have, individually, in a challenging setting. There's a big demand for that, regardless of a social component. So if this is the outlet you're giving us, that is going to create the demand for it.

Filtering the supply by limiting invitations is consequently going to be frustrating for many players who have the skill to be competitive in this environment, only to find that character wealth, a factor that no bearing on player combat skill, is being used as the litmus test for entry. Frankly, I think you should have to brawl your way into Brawler's guild, not buy your way into it. What would Tyler Durden say!?!

And again, you're only delaying the intrinsic queue issue by gating the invitations. Eventually, the "regular" brawlers will become more numerous and you haven't provided any insight into potential solutions for that.

I have a couple solutions myself.

1) Put several brawl sites around Azeroth. Why need there be only one? Want a shorter queue, fly to Thunder Bluff or Dalaran or wherever. Want more social interaction and observers, wait longer in the Orgrimmar queue.

2) Instanced Brawler's guild. But not individually instanced. Instance it with 5 people. Similar to how and LFR fills in replacements when people leave, BG instances would be a rotating group. You get in, you watch the fights before it's your turn. When you're done, you leave the instance, and the instance invites someone else to watch, from the end of the queue.
90 Night Elf Druid
11/08/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Agrippas
You might not be, but there are many many others who are ready for the new content when it comes out.

And often moving through content in the fastest way possible requires money, time, and investments in a myriad of things to be 110% prepared and ready to go.

This is like complaining that those that hit Server First! achievements to whichever level you want only got it because they stocked up on Flasks and Food and thus such achievements only cater to the jobless and lifeless and in-game rich.

Brawler's Guild is obviously not meant to be anything other than prestige and fun and a nifty diversion, nothing more.

Let's assume the Day 1 invitations ALL cap out at 1mil bids, that's 10mil gold that is being dropped on invitations. How many more days can the ridiculous prices continue? What constitutes a ridiculous price? If you aren't willing to pay 20-30k at a minimum I willing to bet you just don't get how gold has inflated over the years. It wasn't so long ago that buying a 7,500g mount would have been outrageous... and yet I've done exactly that with Klaxxi without batting an eye.

The first week or two will be exceptionally expensive, especially on high population servers with some very economically savvy folks. BMAH invites will be transformed into Rank 7 invites that will likely find their way onto the real AH for a fixed but expensive amount of money. As invites grow, prices will plummet as more and more and more show up. It really wasn't all that long before Spirit of Harmony items dropped in price, this will be the same thing.

I won't be doing it right off the bat, but I'm OK with that. Proving Grounds are more interesting to me anyway than this but I'll get to Brawler's Guild stuff eventually.

"Slow down, life is to be savored."
90 Undead Monk
11/08/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Redlukey

Except it is equally available to everyone.

You said yourself that gold is easier to make once you have more gold. This makes it more available to people that have gold. What about the guy who just started playing wow in mop? He shouldnt have as much right to see the content the first day as anyone else?
90 Human Death Knight
Gold is available to everyone.

EVERYONE.
1 Draenei Shaman
Sorry guys, but this account is a month old. I currently have 15k as i recently finished maxing up enchanting and blacksmith.

And now i ask you. Why shouldn't i have the same chance of getting a ticket with a person that is playing the game for much more time and has tons of gold?

Implementing a method through the existing system is the way to go for me at least. Why award more people that either farm ah, sell boosts / achieves etc, than the questers being out there every day, and helping the well being of the wpvp of their servers.

As i said before, make the tickets cost lesser charms (silver coins from quests). Then all players will have the same opportunity and you will promote / stimulate some activity / interaction in the realms.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]