Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

90 Undead Warlock
Blah, too many pages to go through to see if any of these alternative methods of obtaining an (initial) invite were offered:

- Brawler Guild Herald NPCs in capital cities offer a one-time quest. Completion enters you into a 'lottery'. The 'lottery' is drawn once per month. You need to do the quest to have a chance (avoids the real life situation of inactive Bnet accounts getting beta keys for Blizzard games)

- Brawler Guild Herald NPCs offer an item you can carry (think Darkmoon Faire journal). This gives a chance to loot the item from a corpse. Would be quietly gated in the backend. (ie. farming leagues of mobs would not give you an increased chance)

- Brawler Guild dailies contribute to reputation. This reputation increases your chance at obtaining an invitation via ingame mail from an NPC ("We've heard about your exploits in the world, and have a proposition...")
90 Night Elf Rogue
What I don't understand is why people seem to feel they deserve Day 1 access to content that is designed to be exclusive. We all pay for the game but many of us don't get to see heroic raids, Rated BGs, rare mounts, etc. unless we work for it. When did we become a communist society that demanded everything be handed out to us, instead of having to work for it?

On top of all this, I think some people see, and many others do not yet know, that this content is just something between dailies and Challenge Modes, neither of which seem too popular now, and I would have to infer they are just complaining because they will not be part of something "exclusive", when in fact it may not even be worth being a part of.

"We" dont get to see those things because "we" dont have the time, because "we" dont try to improve our skills enought or somethign like that, heroic raids and rated BGs arent gatted behind gold, if i want i can turn a boss figth to heroic mode, get destroyed by it and whatnot but i can still turn it to h mode (provided i cleared normal, but that only means the only thing keeping em from heroics is me improving as a player or progressing ttrought the game), no need to go to the BMAH buy a ticket.

The whole reason pppl arent liking it is because of what you state on your first sentence, "content designed to be exclusive" there has never been such a thing before, hard content is not the same as something desigend to lock ppl out of it because they dont have throngs of gold (artificialy gating the content base don ppls welth in other words).

And mounts arent content, theyre vanity itens, if they want to sell one for 2 billion gold on BMAH go ahead, it wont lock ppl out of anythign doing it.
Edited by Andruz on 11/8/2012 2:10 PM PST
90 Worgen Warlock
not sure if it was asked or answered earlier but im curious as to the types of fights that will be encountered. If someones main is a tank im going to assume that their battles will all be tank related? same with healers having heal-related encounters?... i did see someone earlier posting an example figure of 10million hp in two minutes...by my poor math thats approximately 83K dps average..healers or tanks cant be expected to do this (and even non-raid buffed dps will have difficulty achieving this) with current gear levels.

Now I understand that this number could be purely speculative but the question still stands about the types of fights based around spec.
90 Human Priest
The amount of whining on these forums is depressing. Blizzard are trying a new way of introducing content to the game and I think its a good idea to experiment like this.

NOBODY knows exactly how this is going to pan out until it happens. Not Blizzard and certainly not the people on these forums. I'm happy to wait and see how it works, and I'm sure that Blizzard will tweak the entry rules if things aren't working out well.
90 Tauren Shaman
Selling the first invite on bmah is a mistake.

Gold capped guilds are the only ones that will get the invite.

Their entire guild will be the only ones to be in the brawlers guild.

It's going to just be a guild that controls it.

Then people will sell invites to people that have money.

[Trade Chat] WTB Invite to Brawler's guild 20k.

[Trade Chat] WTS invite to brawlers guild 20k.

They way it should have been done is Made dailies for the Brawlers Guild rep. Once you are exalted you can join.

Here comes the dailies hate.

In theory what you describe could happen for a small amount of time, but the economy quickly spirals out of control. For example, let's pretend that I owned all Ghost Iron Ore on a realm (and let's pretend that it couldn't be mined).

Now, initially I could certainly sell stacks of it for 20k/each. However, once I start selling it I have no control over what those people do with it or how much they'll resell it for.

Same issue here. All it's going to take is for a few nice people to sell invitations for cheap to bring prices way, way down.
90 Tauren Druid
Why not, instead of making it wealth-based, make it trully random?

For example, you can get an invite in your mail to participate in an underground ring trial where you face someone from the guild, if you win a set number of fights against an NPC then you get to fight another player. Whomever wins 2 ot of 3 fights gets in, the loser goes home and waits for someone to invite him/her.

These invites would have a 3 day expiration, from the moment they are read, and you get them only once so if you miss your chance you have to wait for someone to invite you.

Why is random better than based on wealth? I don't see how so many people think it's unfair that people who work harder, work smarter for their money get more to buy with their money. Is this not how things are? Do the smart, hard-working people in the world who have more money deserve to spend it on bigger homes, faster cars? Let the people with too much money in game spend it on things too.
90 Undead Rogue
Im surprised you dont need to grind rep for an invite .... seems to be the flavour lately ...

All jokes aside, this is terrible. If its for solo play, why isnt it phased? I honestly dont care to watch other people kill mobs nor do i expect others to wait around while i kill mine.

Waiting around for my turn oesnt exactly seem like fun to me. At least with other "queues" i can be out in the world questing / farming.

Irritating to say the least ....
90 Tauren Druid
When I first read of the Brawler's Guild I was excited and looking forward to it as a way to test myself and improve in challenging fights. Now that I've found out how it's going to work I'm disappointed.

I was hoping it would be something for everyone - not something for the exclusive few. Also the thought of waiting maybe hours in queue for an opportunity to fight isn't appealing to say the least. You wait for a few hours, lose a fight and then wait for a few more hours to put into practice what you learned. Not fun.
90 Worgen Druid
I haven't read all the responses, so maybe someone suggested this already.

I don't have a problem with an initial BMAH price of 1k gold, that's quite easy to get at level 90.

I'm assuming that this is only available at 90, right?

So, to control people with more gold than they know what to do with from buying up all the invitations just because they can, make it so that when you win, you don't have a choice of using the invitation or not, it's automatically applied, and then not allow you to bid on them any more.

If you can't bid on it if you're not level 90, and you haven't already won an invite, then you basically won't be able to corner the market on it.

You also shouldn't be able to bid on more than one at a time.
90 Human Hunter
When I heard about this, I was very excited .I have always been more of a loaner. I do groups and raids, but I have always enjoyed finding things that challenge me as an individual.

Now that I see the invitations will be limited to those with the most gold, I feel disgusted. Whats with the velvet rope treatment?

If you needed to limit the attendance, you should have made it its own instance with a queue. You queue up for area and then you can wait for your turn to fight. You need to come up with something better than you are currently going to offer. I am extremely disappointed.
not sure if it was asked or answered earlier but im curious as to the types of fights that will be encountered. If someones main is a tank im going to assume that their battles will all be tank related? same with healers having heal-related encounters?... i did see someone earlier posting an example figure of 10million hp in two minutes...by my poor math thats approximately 83K dps average..healers or tanks cant be expected to do this (and even non-raid buffed dps will have difficulty achieving this) with current gear levels.

Now I understand that this number could be purely speculative but the question still stands about the types of fights based around spec.

As Brawler Guild is not the spec based Proving Grounds, it will most likely be DPS and/or mechanic based. I'm sure a healer would be able to do at least some of it just by interrupting or moving out of the fire, but it isn't meant to be a "Look at how good of a healer I am!" type of thing.
90 Tauren Druid
What I don't understand is why people seem to feel they deserve Day 1 access to content that is designed to be exclusive. We all pay for the game but many of us don't get to see heroic raids, Rated BGs, rare mounts, etc. unless we work for it. When did we become a communist society that demanded everything be handed out to us, instead of having to work for it?

On top of all this, I think some people see, and many others do not yet know, that this content is just something between dailies and Challenge Modes, neither of which seem too popular now, and I would have to infer they are just complaining because they will not be part of something "exclusive", when in fact it may not even be worth being a part of.

"We" dont get to see those things because "we" dont have the time, because "we" dont try to improve our skills enought or somethign like that, heroic raids and rated BGs arent gatted behind gold, if i want i can turn a boss figth to heroic mode, get destroyed by it and whatnot but i can still turn it to h mode (provided i cleared normal, but that only means the only thing keeping em from heroics is me improving as a player or progressing ttrought the game), no need to go to the BMAH buy a ticket.

The whole reason pppl arent liking it is because of what you state on your first sentence, "content designed to be exclusive" there ha snever been such a thing before, hard content is not the same as somethign desigend to lock ppl out of it because they dont have throngs of gold (artificialy gating the content base don ppls welth in other words).

And mounts arent content, theyre vanity itens, if they wanty to sell one for 2 billion gold on BMAH go ahead, it wont lock ppl out of anythign doing it.

I fail to see why this game shouldn't mirror economic concepts that have existed since the beginning of mankind. There is so much "exclusive stuff" in the world and it sounds like Activision Blizzard just hasn't gotten around to coding the stuff in game. Do you complain when rich people buy Ferraris? You should! You don't have the time or skill to make enough money to afford one. Let's be real here. This game is not about handouts, it's not about communism. You get what you work for, and if you don't have enough time to make money, you don't get to buy as much. I can't think of a situation where that is not, in general, true. Every video game I have played with some in-game currency - the more you have, the more you can buy.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ever since i was told about the Brawlers Guild ive been super exsited, As an achievement hunter i do everything WoW has to offer, pet battles, scenarios, dungeons, raids, Arena&Rated BGs, Random bgs, World events, Dailys/Quests and much more.

I was super exsited about Brawlers Guild because it was offering Challenging Solo content, Everything challenging in this game requires other people. Its not always easy to find other people you wont loose your patients with.

Now the ider of making the brawlers guild a small thing isnt what has crushed my spirits for this content, Its the ider that only the rich get to enjoy it. I dont have alot of gold, i spend it on gear, gems, pets, mounts... Im still saving for my grand Yak (120k) And you know the rich people will sell the extra invites they get to other rich people to make money back, and they will sell to more rich people and so on, its going to be a very very long time befor i ever see this content because i just dont have enough gold.

Please dont do this, MoP has been amazingly awesome so far lets keep the amazing train choo choo'ing its way down the track for the rest of the expac, give everyone challenging solo (non-progression) content! =)<3
90 Night Elf Hunter
I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I'm not certain it's the best idea, but I'm definitely interested in the results! Obviously, the first few passes on a realm are going to go to very rich people. Yet with 10 new passes every day, that's not something that can keep up forever. I wonder how fast the prices will drop or how long they'll stay high. Ten new invites every day will ramp up fast.
85 Orc Hunter
11/08/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Smexygrowl
What I don't understand is why people seem to feel they deserve Day 1 access to content that is designed to be exclusive.

That's not what I'm seeing on this thread. I think a lot of people understand that WoW uses restrictions to gate content. I'm used to having level, gear, skill, progression, and even gold hold me back from things I'd like to do in game.

What I've seen is a concern is that the gate (gold) doesn't match up with the content at all, and I'm one of those. I don't mind that it's semi-exclusive content, only in the way that it's unlocked. While I'm glad to see that Blizzard continues to experiment with game play, I think this might be an experiment with a high chance of failure in the eyes of the general public.

Unlocking it with currency is fine, but make it currency like Justice Points, Valor Points, or some other currency received by completing PvE content. There are plenty of good suggestions from earlier in these forums about that!

Yes, I'd like to try out this feature when 5.1 goes live, but I won't mind if I have to wait for it. I think it'll be a great addition to Mists of Pandaria! But I'm wondering how the response will be from the player base if there's a price tag attached. There must be another way for these underground fighters to get people involved.

(Plus, in Fight Club, their only motivation that involved money was to destroy the big financial buildings, not get rich. Just a thought.)
13 Goblin Shaman
So its going to be controlled by the realm's rich and famous? Wonderful.
90 Tauren Paladin
Wouldn't it be best to just give out invites at random, daily? Most of the fuss, in which I agree with completely, is about the indirect favoritism being given to the super rich. Simply giving out the invites at random solves this problem, yet keep's things at a slow build up like Blizzard wants. I do think you're doing yourselves a disservice by making such interesting and new content, that most of the community seems to be extremely excited over, so small and limited to the point of being non-existent. After the population builds up, it won't be a "small guild/community", the queues will be outrageous, and it will die out, or you'll be forced to introduce the multiple instances/phases for lots of battles, or introducing new places to fight throughout the different zones. Either way, it all sounds very premature and not well thought out to be rushing it directly into a patch to go live.
90 Tauren Paladin
for those people who play tank and only tank GL unless you get insane vengance...
Unlocking it with currency is fine, but make it currency like Justice Points, Valor Points, or some other currency received by completing PvE content. There are plenty of good suggestions from earlier in these forums about that!

Except that gold is a currency received by completing PvE content...
90 Tauren Druid
11/08/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Zhug
What I don't understand is why people seem to feel they deserve Day 1 access to content that is designed to be exclusive.

That's not what I'm seeing on this thread. I think a lot of people understand that WoW uses restrictions to gate content. I'm used to having level, gear, skill, progression, and even gold hold me back from things I'd like to do in game.

What I've seen is a concern is that the gate (gold) doesn't match up with the content at all, and I'm one of those. I don't mind that it's semi-exclusive content, only in the way that it's unlocked. While I'm glad to see that Blizzard continues to experiment with game play, I think this might be an experiment with a high chance of failure in the eyes of the general public.

Yes, I'd like to try out this feature when 5.1 goes live, but I won't mind if I have to wait for it. I think it'll be a great addition to Mists of Pandaria! But I'm wondering how the response will be from the player base if there's a price tag attached. There must be another way for these underground fighters to get people involved.

(Plus, in Fight Club, their only motivation that involved money was to destroy the big financial buildings, not get rich. Just a thought.)

I guess it seems to me, and maybe to Activision Blizzard, that gold is the easiest way to keep it exclusive. The other currencies you mention have a cap (I think). I understand what you say about gold not matching up to invitations, but don't you think there should be one underlying currency that people can accrue without a cap? I mean, that's one of the pillars of capitalism.

I'm not against buying invitations with other currencies. But how do you set up a bidding process? I probably wouldn't make it in for months if valor or conquest was the currency. Then again, I think Bliizzard has too many currencies in their game...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]