Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

90 Human Warlock
Its not supposed to be really difficult or challenging though.

Right now, a member can invite someone else to the Brawler's Guild after earning Rank 7. We expect achieving that rank to be reasonably challenging for most players.

Yeah it is.
Edited by Jemmy on 11/15/2012 4:29 AM PST
90 Orc Monk
Any chance for a really really rare invite dropping or being triggered by soloing old stuff?

Would kinda seem like the ally such a guild would lurk around looking for members.
90 Human Paladin
11/15/2012 04:28 AMPosted by Jemmy
Its not supposed to be really difficult or challenging though.

Right now, a member can invite someone else to the Brawler's Guild after earning Rank 7. We expect achieving that rank to be reasonably challenging for most players.

Yeah it is.

Reasonably challenging is not really challenging.
90 Night Elf Rogue
11/14/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Will gear levels be throttled for the fights so that progression raiders and/or PvPers have no preexisting advantage, and the bragging rights are solely based on player skill?

Stat scaling isn't currently planned for the Guild, no. Skill will absolutely factor in, especially at high Ranks, but bragging rights in this context can certainly also include raw character power. The fights aren't tuned for stat scaling, and beyond that, gear is an important part of World of Warcraft. We don't want to go too crazy with eliminating its value by over-using stat scaling.

Naturally, and as with all things, we might revise that perspective in the future, but it's not on the table at the moment.

So you are your fracking khakis.
90 Draenei Death Knight
Thanks for the addition of invite drops. It will be nice to know that as I do dailies, I'm also getting a chance for that invite; much better than just saving up gold that I already feel like I do plenty of.

Now, if there's a possibility of phasing the arena itself, that would be awesome news. With random CRZ technology mostly decreasing our quality of life in the game, this would be something positive it could do. People could form groups and be in their own zone; others who can't/won't form groups would be randomized. Feels like a win to me.
1 Orc Mage
And this right here is what you don't understand about the aim of Brawler's Guild. It is NOT supposed to be readily available to everyone, it is supposed to be semi-exclusive to start and grow from there.

This is no different than unique armor sets, mounts, or other such perks coming from difficult or rare sets of circumstances. Brawler's Guild in and of itself is meant to be exclusive in WoW and it allows others to watch, jeer, cheer, etc while it happens.

Yes, this is very different from unique armor sets or mounts. Those are not content. Those are not new features to look forward to in a patch. Those are absolutely cosmetic, and you don't see them eventually be opened up for most people to access (which is what, from everyone's understanding, should be eventually happening with the Brawler's Guild). You are comparing apples to oranges.

All this says is:

"I want a method of entry that is guaranteed without having to 'waste' money, rely upon someone else, or do the NPC farming game. Let me do a quest and get in for sure."

Wait until the 3rd or 4th day and check BMAH prices, lurk down in the guild area and see who is doing it and see if you can negotiate a deal, and/or camp the NPCs that drop the item. You have equal opportunity to do these things with the entire rest of the server, and as each day passes the Invitations will come down in price, more people will hand them out more freely, and the NPC camping will lessen.

Did you decide to simply ignore the part where I said that it should be a very hard quest, that the minority of players would be able to even succeed at? I never said anything that could be interpreted as "let me do a quest and get in for sure." My suggestion was to provide content for the vast majority of players, who will be waiting. They could, at least, be attempting to enter, having fun while doing it, and perhaps even improving their skills to try again the next day/week, which would have a very positive overall effect for the game.

Besides... you've nothing higher than a lvl85... I'd suggest getting to lvl90 first before complaining about barriers to entry.

Yes. I am posting on my level 1, which is obviously my only World of Warcraft character. Your logic, it is flawless.
11/15/2012 02:12 AMPosted by Lakhesís
No gear scaling makes the feature less significantly less appealing to me.

Gear scaling is great for dungeons, but I don't want gear to turn into some aesthetic only thing. We work hard for gear upgrades. If I wanted to play GW2, I would.
Edited by Ruxpin on 11/15/2012 9:09 AM PST
90 Night Elf Hunter
What's to stop a healer class from going in and just tanking the mob indefinitely, thereby holding the arena hostage?
90 Troll Warrior
11/15/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Stormflash
What's to stop a healer class from going in and just tanking the mob indefinitely, thereby holding the arena hostage?

Mana
90 Night Elf Hunter
I probably worded my question poorly. There are classes that could hold a mob indefinitely. A warlock could life tap/life drain and keep his VW healed, holding the mob. As a hunter I've held elite rares while waiting for guildies by constantly healing my pet and using my focus-regen abilities. Will there be any timers or enrage buffs to stop players from doing such things?
90 Night Elf Priest
Available (at first) through the Black Market. I'm sure this makes the Gold Sellers happy.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just saw the update about not scaling the gear and I honestly had to sit there and think about why such a feature would be left out of a test of skill.

What is The Brawler's Guild? It's a contest of player versus environment.

Is skill the only factor? No, gear is also a factor; better gear will allow for easier matches.

I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground as it pertains to the intricacies of programming, but I know a distinct opportunity for datamining when I see it and it would be a crying shame for Blizzard to waste this opportunity.

This has the serious potential to influence the mechanics of every piece of PvE content from here on out, everything from solo content to end-game raiding. It would assign values to the skill level of the player, the resources used in a fight, the time it took to finish (or die) .... hell, it would even take into account the speed of connection between server and computer.

If any dev's are reading this, please consider this notion: As The Brawler's Guild grows from capital city to capital city (and it should), more and more people provide more and more opportunities for capturing data on combat tables. If this side effect alone is beneficial to the developer's, please put some shiny toys at the end of it so people will get in there and duke it out and the PvE content can be tuned like never before.

I can only imagine how positive such data could be to the tuning of the PvP environment .....
90 Draenei Priest
From which Horde or Alliance NPCs may a Brawler's (shouldn't it be Brawlers') Guild invitation drop? Thanks for this additional information.
62 Troll Shaman
Entry into the brawler’s guild is by invitation only. Invitations can be found on the black market auction house, by invitation from somebody within the guild, and occasionally as drops from certain Horde and Alliance NPCs.

So... either spend an astronomical amount of gold or kill mobs that will flag me for PvP in the hope that a ticket will drop? No thanks.
90 Human Paladin
11/15/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Mahatma
Entry into the brawler’s guild is by invitation only. Invitations can be found on the black market auction house, by invitation from somebody within the guild, and occasionally as drops from certain Horde and Alliance NPCs.

So... either spend an astronomical amount of gold or kill mobs that will flag me for PvP in the hope that a ticket will drop? No thanks.

Or wait in line for the price to drop to the level you want. It will definately drop below 1000g eventually. Then 500g... Then 100g... etc
90 Human Paladin
Funny how they say its not a major feature, but have a sticky and allowing to go over the page cap.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/15/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Ruxpin
Gear scaling is great for dungeons, but I don't want gear to turn into some aesthetic only thing. We work hard for gear upgrades. If I wanted to play GW2, I would.

Gear upgrades are great in most formats.

But if you've got a bragging rights venue, it needs to either provide the gear or equalise the gear. Arena, RBG and Raids provide the gear required. Challenge modes equalise the gear.

Brawler's Guild won't provide the gear & won't equalise the gear.

So I could prettymuch tell you now who the top 10 in my class/spec on my server will be (assume they all bother going in). There will be no surprise first place, they won't have the gear to compete with those on my list. Look at a wow-heroes style gear ilvl list for your server & you'll be able make a similar list.

Now those people have worked hard for their gear and they're skilled players (otherwise they wouldn't have it anyway). But I'd like to see the chance of a black swan style outsider coming in and seriously challenging the top geared players.

That would make for good bragging rights.
52 Gnome Warlock
11/15/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Hatsune
Or wait in line for the price to drop to the level you want. It will definately drop below 1000g eventually. Then 500g... Then 100g... etc

Nothing on the BMAH goes for less than 10k.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]