Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

90 Pandaren Monk
I don't think it's possible to express exactly how I feel I about this feature. Not mad, just disappointed.

When it first came up, I was unbelievably excited. A way to test solo mettle? New achievements? Interesting new areas--well, at least for the Alliance, the Horde one's a bit dull--in the old home cities? I was basically all but overjoyed.

Then word comes out that the fights aren't instanced or phased in any way, and you're queueing instead - and not in a standard PvE content queue, but a "go to the brawler's ring and wait your turn" kind of queue. O...kay, sort of a step backwards in terms of technology and content, but I'm patient, although at this point I'm worried about the number of people crowding it. Maybe I'll just do a brawl on my lunch break - I'm on an EST server, and Drenden's pretty light on population during the daytime.

Then the other shoe drops: invites are only going to be on the BMAH. People love to point out "oh, it's only 1k" and "oh, there's 10 a day," but you know what almost all servers have? Rich players with a lot of time and a lot of money, who're willing to drive these things up to astronomical prices for a while just to have something that Joe Average doesn't. It's not like they have a 1000g buyout; it's simply the starting bid.

Not exactly pleasant, and this pretty much kills interest in the Brawler's Guild for me. It's basically "you must have X amount of gold to ride this ride." It's like going to a rollercoaster and finding out ten people got there when the gates opened and, oh yeah, it costs $1000 to ride anyway. You can watch them ride the ride, though, and hope that they give you a ride ticket.

I'm disappointed in how this feature has evolved overall, and every time a new detail has been revealed I'm a little closer to just writing it off completely until the next expansion, when everyone's forgotten about it. I get that they wanted to go for the "cool exclusive underground fighting ring", but gating it behind willingness and ability to part with a potentially ludicrous sum of in-game gold seems like the wrong way to go about it. This seemed like a fun new diversion for players with some downtime, but now it's basically a way for rich players to get access to content the rest of us don't.
Edited by Fudo on 11/8/2012 12:07 PM PST
92 Goblin Rogue
To hopefully derail the pointless rage and get a question answered, I have to ask:

Can one character on your account unlock access to the Brawler's Guild for your alternates?

A one-time investment to get into the club for anyone you make seems like it'd be nice. At the same time, I could also see how it'd ruin the feeling of "Exclusivity". Just something one's curious about.
90 Draenei Shaman
11/08/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Daxxarri
But aside from some warlock-only stuff, a new Wrathion quest, and some more lore quests, this IS the patch.

Respectfully, I disagree. The Pandaren Campaign is much more than 'some lore quests', and, in combination with a slew of changes and improvements to everything from classes to Pet Battles, is quite possibly the biggest thing coming in Patch 5.1.

As I stated in the original post, the Brawler's Guild was never intended to be the big patch feature of 5.1, despite the excitement surrounding it. It really is a small feature that we've decided to try out. Since the announcement, it's become something much larger in players' minds since then, which is part of what I'm trying to address now.

Mm. I might recommend, then, going on a publicity push FOR that other content; rather than trying to minimize this content. If the player base doesn't see the Pandaren Campaign quests as a 'big deal' when it's supposed to be the main focus of the patch, isn't it your job to *make* it a 'big deal'? Talk it up, go into detail on what it is and why it matters, drum up excitement for it and all that?

Cause so far I haven't see anything like that. So it's not at all hard to see why the players have latched onto this feature instead - it's the one you actually *HAVE* been talking about.
90 Human Priest
Gating content by the amount of gold you have is a really bad idea.
90 Troll Warrior
You guys do realize that the invites start at only 1k and there are 10 posted a day, right?

No?

Okay keep being mad then.

You do realize that none will be sold for less than 100k in the frist month, dont you?

And you do realize that in an unbalanced PVP server, one faction willprobably not have a chance to buy any even if they have the money, dont you?

I'm sorry, that's a pretty laughable statement...

Not a single ticket, out of 300, won't go for less than 100,000g? Even with the, what, 3000 characters getting invites from those first 300?

I don't know how big your server is, but this certainly isn't going to be happening on mine.
90 Draenei Hunter
To hopefully derail the pointless rage and get a question answered, I have to ask:

Can one character on your account unlock access to the Brawler's Guild for your alternates?

A one-time investment to get into the club for anyone you make seems like it'd be nice. At the same time, I could also see how it'd ruin the feeling of "Exclusivity". Just something one's curious about.

I would be shocked, dumbfounded, and floored if that was the case.
92 Goblin Rogue
11/08/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Bankrolly

On my server, cut diamonds (Meta Gems) go for roughly 500-1000 gold each. If you're revered with the Tillers, you can make 8 Motes (minimum) to 1 Spirit of Harmony a day to buy Golden Lotuses with (depending on if you farm those last two motes). Send the lotuses to an alt with transmutes for the new gems. Buy greens or, hell, prospect them from all the Ghost Iron Ore around Pandaria. Mute the greens into blues (Vermillion Onyx, Wild Jade, and whatever the purple one is), mute the blues into diamonds. Profit.

I make about 1-5k a day solely off of diamonds.*

EDIT: If I feel like it. I will admit lately I've been lazy about mote farming and mining ore for prospecting since I'm concentrating on maxing out all the Ways of cooking and trying to sell a Depleted Kyparium Rocket.

Long story short, I do not agree with you.
Edited by Fixitt on 11/8/2012 12:15 PM PST
90 Draenei Hunter
11/08/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Fixitt

On my server, cut diamonds (Meta Gems) go for roughly 500-1000 gold each. If you're revered with the Tillers, you can make 8 Motes (minimum) to 1 Spirit of Harmony a day to buy Golden Lotuses with (depending on if you farm those last two motes). Send the lotuses to an alt with transmutes for the new gems. Buy greens or, hell, prospect them from all the Ghost Iron Ore around Pandaria. Mute the greens into blues (Vermillion Onyx, Wild Jade, and whatever the purple one is), mute the blues into diamonds. Profit.

I make about 1-5k a day solely off of diamonds.

Doesn't change the statement.
92 Goblin Rogue
11/08/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Rangikuu
Doesn't change the statement.
Resourcefulness has its worth. If money's the problem, one knows what one has to do.
90 Undead Warlock
This seems like one of the dumbest ideas they have come up with yet. Basically, you get into the brawler's guild if you have a lot of gold. Good luck to those ppl like me that don't have craploads of money. We will never get into it. This is all for the chance to stand in line and watch some 40 or 50 other ppl fight before you do....which is what it will be after only 5 days. How is this fun?
90 Worgen Druid
In 3 months this is what i will be reading in general chat on my server.

LFM 10 MAN TOTES MUST HAVE 496 ITEM LVL AND RANK 7 BG..IF NOT, DONT EVEN BOTHER WISHPERING ME..NO FAILS.

This is the kind community i am used to in this game. The days of the base player base being kind to each other has been gone for some time now. Sorry i do not agree that this going to bring the wow community together on any server.
Way to foster even more obsessive behavior. It is not enough that people complain about mandatory dailies and mandatory LFR runs to stay competitive.

Let's force people now to camp black market or beg their friends. All because it is not instanced and needs to support spectators. Apparently Blizzard cannot come up with a more straightforward or creative solution.

Here is a suggestion - make party or raid leader a participant in the fight and the rest of party members spectators and instance to your heart's content.
90 Undead Monk
I don't have a ton of gold, but I'm fairly sure I have enough to buy one of these the first day, and I plan on doing so. But I just want to say that the idea of gold being the method of first entry, is a completely lazy way to do it on Blizz's part. I would rather 10 random people suddenly get one in the mail than to have this be the method. Atleast that way it would be RNG, and thus more fair than who ever is willing to pay the most on the first day.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The implementation of brawlers guild is just more of the same of blizzard making some of the most boneheaded decisions in a single expansion than ever before. And like the other boneheaded decisions they've made so far there is an awesome concept underneath being ruined because of it.

Daily Quests: Having tone of them with decent rewards is pretty awesome. I can valor, Tokens for getting extra loot for raids and rep from numerous, uncapped daily quests? Awesome. Then they add that it's the only way to get rep and you have to have that rep to get valor gear and ruin the idea. Seriously bring back rep tabards and give us options of gaining rep if it's required to get valor point gear.

XRZ: I can invite people from other servers to quests, and even raid with? Awesome! Even being able to activate it while leveling if it was optional would be great. But because it's forced it's ruined the entire concept, I'd rather not have it at all than have it be forced like it is. Seriously make it optional and the idea would be fantastic and I'd be behind it 100%. The fact that it's forced is makes it my most hated feature in wow.

And now the actual Topic the Brawlers guild: A solo PVE environment to test your mettle for bragging rights and some interesting rewards (heirloom fist weapons? Awesome) the idea sounds fantastic. Then Blizzard goes and ruins another otherwise awesome feature being added this expansion. Even the ridiculous invitation method aside the fact that it's one at a time and you have to wait in line is freaking stupid. If I wanted to watch someone I'd make the effort to, include a spectator mode for those who want to watch. I don't play videogames to wait in line, if I wanted to do that I'd go to a grocery store on a Sunday.

Another question on the entry implementation, I assume invites are specific to characters no? So what's to stop people from giving the invites to their alts? It's already going to be slow enough as it is but if a bunch of people want their alts in the brawlers guild as well then it will be even slower.

Sorry for the giant post, don't really post of the forums too much (the last and possibly only other time I can recall was reporting a bug in a PTR forum to my knowledge) so I had a bunch of pent up stuff to get out. There is a lot I like about this expansion, and there is a lot I want to like but is implemented so poorly it provides nothing but annoyance and at worst frustration.
100 Blood Elf Priest
So Brawler's Guild acronym should be BraG?

I doubt I'll ever be invited (til it's commonplace) but any new feature in the game is welcome. May give the "I hate dailies" people something to do.

Good luck with the implementation and have fun with it, guys!
100 Human Paladin
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.
90 Pandaren Priest

You do realize that none will be sold for less than 100k in the frist month, dont you?

And you do realize that in an unbalanced PVP server, one faction willprobably not have a chance to buy any even if they have the money, dont you?

I'm sorry, that's a pretty laughable statement...

Not a single ticket, out of 300, won't go for less than 100,000g? Even with the, what, 3000 characters getting invites from those first 300?

I don't know how big your server is, but this certainly isn't going to be happening on mine.

To build on this, there are no player power rewards for this feature AT ALL. There will be a big spike in the initial price of invites because it's new, but it will very quickly die off because the only things you can get from this feature are a pet and heirloom fists.

And while of course there will be these magical top tier heroic raiders that will steamroll all the bosses. But for a vast majority of people they will not be max rank immediately. These fights are very tough, have multiple 1 shot mechanics, require constant attention, and insane DPS numbers. Not everyone is going to be able to do 10 million damage in 2 minutes.

These Rank 7 invites will not be plentiful and will never be sold for more than what they are going for on the BMAH. And since the price will only be going down on the invites every single day after the patch comes out, you'll be lucky to make your money back, but you won't be turning a profit.

But, again, doing research on the feature and what it actually is is much harder than forming a baseless opinion and yelling "RABBLE!"
90 Pandaren Rogue
But aside from some warlock-only stuff, a new Wrathion quest, and some more lore quests, this IS the patch.

Respectfully, I disagree. The Pandaren Campaign is much more than 'some lore quests', and, in combination with a slew of changes and improvements to everything from classes to Pet Battles, is quite possibly the biggest thing coming in Patch 5.1.

As I stated in the original post, the Brawler's Guild was never intended to be the big patch feature of 5.1, despite the excitement surrounding it. It really is a small feature that we've decided to try out. Since the announcement, it's become something much larger in players' minds since then, which is part of what I'm trying to address now.

Except, what the players see and what you see are COMPLETELY different.

In this case, it should default to "The customer is always right."

We've been on the PTR. We've seen the guild. It IS a big part of the patch. I don't see how Blizzard can say "No, you're wrong." to millions of subscribers.

Might I add, you took away the "Just for fun" aspect of the guild the minute you added heirloom Fist weapons to it.
Edited by Lufia on 11/8/2012 12:24 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]