What makes a team successful?

Why do I feel the need to ask this question?

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Always, am I trying to find cohesiveness through contact. Internal and hidden conflict, whispers behind the scenes that shade what a team should be. Communication irrelevant.. tact, humility and shame, trumping any attempt for what should be.
Why's it so?
Many great teams siphon trust from real life to fantasy, but why can't it also be from stranger to burdenless friendship?
Why do you hold back? Why should you hold back? These words, genuine but seemingly empty to the lost. There is no embrace.

Nothing lasts forever in fiction.

I don't like feeling this way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Entertainment Value.

If you're not having fun, your team will break.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Friendship that extends beyond WoW.

If you play other games or are just friends outside of games, and have commonalities that allow a deeper level of friendship, then when those hardships that games like WoW can bring to the table, you have more on the line then the next raid.

Also the ability to say I am sorry, I !@#$ed up and its my fault. If people point the finger at themselves first when trying to solve an issue, everyone gets better and the team gets better and the team succeeds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/11/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Eften
If people point the finger at themselves first when trying to solve an issue, everyone gets better and the team gets better and the team succeeds.

If everyone blames themselves, then the true issue won't be brought to light, as everyone thinks they were the weak link that broke the chain.

And when everyone is a weak link, the chain is brittle, and will be broken.

Humility is nice, but you need to strengthen the chain by having someone able to point out the chinks in the weaker links.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If people examine themselves first, they should always be strengthening their weaknesses. Sure a strong leader that can find faults and correct them without belittling their friends is very needed. But if that leader thinks they are perfect then the chain has a rusty link that will not budge.
Edited by Eften on 11/11/2012 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for taking my thread seriously; I thought I would be made fun of.

First, I want to say I wrote this because of a number of colliding events - one key moment being when I first explored the pages of team Dabu. Another, from the personal experience of being exposed to failure several times, and the last.. being the matter of delicate nature that I do not wish to share.

There was something different and so refreshing about the idea of genuine team involvement. I wondered how far a group of people - who only knew each other from a superficial level - could actually go in terms of progress (ingame) and friendship - if there was such a thing as "friendship beyond WoW" that isn't beyond WoW ~ such a key thing I feel that I envy.
People come and go.. without you ever knowing who they really were or are. I wondered how many others were capable of remedying this awkwardness.

11/11/2012 05:04 AMPosted by Cimno
If you're not having fun, your team will break.

Yes, "fun" will stem from "knowing".

11/11/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Eften
But if that leader thinks they are perfect then the chain has a rusty link that will not budge.

Weakness is relatable; I believe it's also a road to "knowing".

I think I answered my own question.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
To ask why we fight is to ask why leaves fall.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
You might say they.... *sunglasses* ....Made like a tree and leafed! YEAHH!
Edited by Tatianah on 11/12/2012 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You're only as strong as your weakest link
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Xxl and I first became friends through a quake 3 mod called urban terror. we played that through college and just kept in contact and played new games as they came out, we have played pretty much every game since then and it took about 7 years of online gaming before we actually met IRL.

That is the great thing about online gaming is that it does not have to be only about the games. I always try to picture and remember that on the other end of that avatar is another human being that has feelings and emotions. Those people, whether good or bad, are what make online gaming so unique.
Reply Quote
For all the !@#$%^-s who thought I wasn't serious.

I posted this about the same time we started raiding. They're my thoughts.

If you "know" me, I don't really hide... eventually, I will confront what's bothering me.
I'm not trying to change anything by posting this, but after all the "wtf" posts I've made, this isn't far from the tree.

For the last time, I wanted to express my thoughts in these forums. It's relevant to WoW, so *!@# off if you think I'm going overboard.

Anyway, I've said what I said.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'm scared.

/cower
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
YOUR STILL MY FRIEND! :(
Reply Quote
I'm confused :/

/pats everyone...seems like that might help.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

If you "know" me, I don't really hide... eventually, I will confront what's bothering me.
I'm not trying to change anything by posting this, but after all the "wtf" posts I've made, this isn't far from the tree.

For the last time, I wanted to express my thoughts in these forums. It's relevant to WoW, so *!@# off if you think I'm going overboard.

You're still a strange person. I'll leave it at that.
Edited by Tatiana on 1/14/2013 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
11/12/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Holyavenger
To ask why we fight is to ask why leaves fall.

Loling for days
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

This was really random. I think people enjoyed your post and had some insightful thoughts to reply with.

Except me. I never know what to say in 2000 words or less.

But I just wanted to add that no one is making fun of you :)
Reply Quote
I'm sorry if my outburst seemed random.. it was actually a reaction to another thread I posted in. I wasn't in the right state of mind and I was full of bitterness; I wasn't ready to let go.
The team was like a first love kind of thing to me.. hah, but with several other people involved.
-- I used to be really casual, just exploring content and logging on for myself - this whole raiding thing was new to me. I was nearing the end of "exploring", and being able to raid current content was the only leaf left unturned. When I was given the opportunity, I dived into this world. At first, I didn't think much of it, but after weeks of being prodded to recognize each other's voices, joking and laughing with true individuals who just wanted to have fun, and finally, openly communicating to supplement each other's strategies all for the sake of defeating this pixelly boss thing, I steadily grew attached. It really, really was a culture shock for me. It was different, and it was a lot fun.

When the fate of the team was finally realized, I tried to quit cold turkey and tried to forget this whole thing ever happened.. but yeah.. WoW advertisements had other plans; they're everywhere! haha, and wouldn't leave me alone.. (plus, computers even..) and then I'd have have withdrawal symptoms after all the memories came back.
Because I hate not being able to understand something, more so myself, I'd log on every now and then to talk to a person to try and seek closure. 3-4 days after OotA's dissolution, and after three very long conversations not even regarding WoW, I was finally able to come to terms with the fragmented team I left behind (thank you for that). Perhaps.. I took the fact that this game was just a game and not reality, that I wanted for once for something to last forever XD

It sounds silly of me talking like this, but I did say I wanted to end on a good note, and I guess this is my way of compensating for all the bitterness.

I may be alone on this boat, thinking like this, but if anyone has ever felt the same way, maybe reading this could have provided some sort of understanding and helped rid the "awkwardness" I mentioned from my original posts in this thread.

Good luck Muradin. I hope you really do "come back to life".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]