Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
There is another thread floating around for the level 90 talents and mobility issues, but after reading it and the other responses, I didn't feel like what I had fit in. I'm not here to comment on DPS equality amongst talents. I just want to express my disappointment with our level 90 talents usability, fun factor, practicality, and aesthetics.
Incanter's Ward: This is the one I use the most because I don't have to worry about stepping outside of a circle or evocating every 40 seconds (which I hate doing). I understand this is probably more of a PVP talent than PVE, but here are my issues with it:
- I find myself purposely taking raid damage to get use out of it, especially when damage isn't predictable or when isn't coming in the near future.
- The shield does not last very long and therefore it has to be timed correctly, otherwise see above.
- The graphic is extremely disappointing; It looks like mana shield did which was boring.
- The damage it absorbs isn't much.
Overall, it just seems gimicky and lackluster. I won't try to compare it to other classes' level 90 talents, but this doesn't feel like something I'm happy to get at 90.
Invocation: I can't express enough how much I dislike this talent.
- It isn't a new ability, it just changes an old ability which I'm not very fond of to begin with. I liked using Evocation when mana was low from a long fight or during down time (speeches, immune phases, etc.). I understand that the developers want us to use evocation but having to use it 5-8 times in a short fight and pre-fight is extremely frustrating. And most of all this talent just forces an existing ability into our rotation without adding any cool value to it.
- I love getting into a nice groove with my mage and stopping every 40 seconds to evocate makes the fight feel clunky, especially if you have to stop your channel early.
- It forces you to evocate because of the mana regen penalty. So if you can't evocate or choose not to (I feel our talents/abilities should have choice), your mana suffers.
- This talent feels like something to track instead of something cool. I find myself just looking at the buff bar occasionally waiting for the timer to run out so I can stand still for a few seconds and turn blue again.
- As far as looks, it's just evocation. No new graphic, no cool twist, just blue swirling like always.
Overall, I am extremely disappointed with this talent. It offers nothing new to the class other than a damage buff and has annoying penalties associated with using it (channeling), and not using it (damage/mana suffers).
Rune of Power: This one I have not really used much because the thought of creating a circle under my feet is not appealing to me. I also haven't really had any fights that I find myself standing around for (maybe Sha of Anger?). I like that it's a completely new ability that I can cast. But here is what I don't like:
- It requires you to stand still in a little circle. It makes me feel trapped while I'm playing my mage.
- The reticule to cast is frustrating to use. I guess it's nice to have freedom to cast where you want, but I'd rather it just automatically cast under my feet if anything.
- Fights that require a lot of movement makes this talent less than optimal which means you have to switch to Incanter's Ward (boring) or Invocation (yuck).
Overall, it's more pleasing to the eye and I like that it's actually a new ability with a unique graphic. But I can't help but feeling trapped when using it and I like to have freedom when I'm playing my mage.
I understand that changing our level 90 talents is probably out of the question at this point. This post is just to outline what I find disappointing about our talents. Hopefully these points will be considered if you do decide to change anything. I'd even go as far as to say that just improving the graphics would be welcomed.
If I had to offer suggestions, this is what I'd say:
Incanter's Ward: Unique graphic, make the shield last much longer, or just an ability that can be cast that improves our dps/damage without requiring that we are damaged (similar to how avatar temporarily improves the warrior),
Invocation: I might be too biased for suggestions on this because there's nothing about this talent I like. But I'd say improved graphic, doesn't require us to stand still for the entire evocation - even if that means we can channel while moving, longer damage buff (even if it's less %), and doesn't affect mana regen as much as it does.
Rune of Power: I'd rather see this as a talent you cast on yourself (buff) which does exactly what it does now so that we can move with it. Otherwise, at least let the circle auto cast under our feet.
Please consider my opinion and thanks for listening. Post only constructive feedback so this doesn't turn into a flame war.
Hey you have a ton of good points here, but we already have a discussion for this topic, and it's already on thread #2!
Feel free to repost there and I'll add your post to the OP via link!
Edited by Pewpewblast on 11/14/2012 12:26 PM PST
Feel free to comment on this post, but I'm moving the discussion to the linked post above me. This will be my last update:
And another note about Invocation: I don't feel that it's appropriate to use a Level 90 talent slot to modify an old ability. Especially when it's just to force that old ability into a rotation using a DPS increase as a way to entice us. DPS is great, but I don't want to feel trapped or forced to use old abilities that I don't enjoy using just for a DPS increase. It feels like a tax to me: You can get more DPS, but at the cost of standing there and channeling an old ability for a while. This does not sound like a level 90 talent I'm happy to use.
Since you have to use it prefight to get the buff, it also becomes more of a DPS chore instead of a "Once I press this button, it's going to be awesome for a little while" ability. When I press Icy Veins (glyphed), I feel great for a little while because I'm getting a DPS increase that takes a little planning and set up to maximize, and I'm shooting 3 bolts/lances at a time for a limited duration. I have to admit, it feels pretty epic.
Invocation: Guess it's time to turn blue again so I don't run out of mana DUE TO invocation and so I can have bigger numbers.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.