Rogue vs Warrior PvE

90 Human Warlock
Making a new toon a new server (need to go to Oceanic to actually have people in a similar time zone to hang with) and going to roll a new toon.

I mostly play ranged, so I'm going melee this time and trying to decide rogue or warrior - both seem good damage-wise at the moment. If I want to get into a guild once I'm leveled and geared and do some casual raiding (more than just the LFR), which do people generally prefer to bring to a raid? I see rogues as slightly up on damage, but I think warriors are close, but bring a bit more utility.

Also, any ideas on general survivability and ease of leveling would be great. (And yes, I know rogues are getting hammered in PvP right now, but I do very little PvP.)

Cheers
Reply Quote
88 Human Rogue
Survivability and ease of leveling will be the warrior. Also a matter of whether you prefer your class be heavily reliant on passive sources for the majority of it's damage or your damage specs feel a bit more different. Of course, it will possibly be a different ballgame by the time you get to level cap.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Your decision on rogue vs warrior will not likely have an impact on you getting taken to raids. Play whichever you find the most fun.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
You may have an easier time getting into a guild/raid if you have a viable tanking off-spec. Thus, a warrior may be better. However, if you do not want to perform an off-tanking roll then both rogue and warrior are equally viable.
Edited by Deathtraxe on 11/15/2012 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
Utility? We have Swiftblade's Cunning! Aaaaaand Master Poisoner! I mean come on. So much utility. Ok that's sort of a lie, but on the other hand, our gear looks pretty ridiculous. Also, Warriors are brown on the dps charts. Who wants to be brown? Yellow > brown.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Hmmm, brown or yellow is really tough. I mean, which of the bodily functions do you want to be?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Rogue utility in raids = feint. Nothing more.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
11/15/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Kanoi

Tricks of the trade to the AFK guy in LFR = great fun.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
One of the reasons the devs cited for giving rogues their legendary questline back in Cataclysm was that people were telling them they didn't want to raid with rogues. They were hearing that people thought we brought little to the table that another class couldn't do better (or at no loss to personal DPS,) so why bother? We've changed very little since then, apart from not having legendary weapons to raid with.

Just throwing that out there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Go warrior.

They're stomping on everything.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Rogues are pretty fun in PvE. Our high passive damage ensures that we do well in most encounters without actually putting in a lot of effort, and our talents are well designed for PvE because the choices have relatively the same impact in PvE. The specs all have similar rotations and abilities so that new players don't have to worry about relearning their class completely whenever they respec. Subtlety in particular is one of the best designed specs. With a positional move that can only be used from behind, you actually get to change your rotation for fights when you can't get behind the enemy! It's rather exciting playing such an active class where all of the buttons we push feel great to hit and have a meaningful impact on our dps.
Edited by Nanaya on 11/17/2012 9:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Go warrior.

They're stomping on everything.

If you're getting stomped by a warrior on every fight, it's either a gear issue or a L2P issue
Edited by Lochnar on 11/18/2012 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Rogues are going to have more dps in PvE, but I think warriors are more fun.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Depends on your playstyle. Both classes do good DPS. Rogues have been ahead on most fights this tier though. Warriors have more utility, so that's a plus.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Making a new toon a new server (need to go to Oceanic to actually have people in a similar time zone to hang with) and going to roll a new toon.

I mostly play ranged, so I'm going melee this time and trying to decide rogue or warrior - both seem good damage-wise at the moment. If I want to get into a guild once I'm leveled and geared and do some casual raiding (more than just the LFR), which do people generally prefer to bring to a raid? I see rogues as slightly up on damage, but I think warriors are close, but bring a bit more utility.

Also, any ideas on general survivability and ease of leveling would be great. (And yes, I know rogues are getting hammered in PvP right now, but I do very little PvP.)

Cheers

In terms of leveling, you probably want to roll a warrior, since they are slightly better at surviving without having to break combat. As for endgame DPS, rogues and warriors are fairly evenly matched, with rogues eeking out just a bit more overall DPS, with warriors having greater burst, less sustained. Really, there's not a terrible amount of difference for PvE raid combat is concerned, in terms of staying alive and doing damage. For PvP, that's a different case entirely though. I would recommend browsing through warrior and rogue sections of the forum, looking for anything PvP related to find which you may prefer (hint: warriors currently kick !@#, but perhaps not after 5.1).
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
11/15/2012 11:20 AMPosted by Zushiba

Tricks of the trade to the AFK guy in LFR = great fun.

TotT -> Any player with umlaut in his/her name-> Stealth-> ShS-> Ambush-> SnD-> RvS-> KS-> AR/SB/trink/pot/racial macro-> Dead umlaut-> Get votekicked.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Plate transmogs > leather transmogs
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/15/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Kanoi

Learn your class. Seriously. That or understand that when you flat out lie, people tend to ignore you.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
A well played rogue does great PvE dps and is loved by healers since they can mitigate so much damage. Since it's easy-peasy to level doesn't really matter which you go with for leveling. Warriors do have more flexibility since they can tank. Basically it's whatever playstyle you prefer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]