Smart PoH

90 Blood Elf Priest
I see a lot of people wanting to make Prayer of Healing a smart heal thus breaking the 5 people in a group ability it currently has, but have you really thought about it? If Prayer of Healing were turned into a cast time Circle of Healing, yes, it would create a much nicer environment for hard healing moments, specially when people are spread out. But if this change were to happen, we lose complete control over our Spirit Shell. We can no longer throw a bubble on the entire raid, small bubble if 25man and full or nearly so cap bubble in 10mans. I love using Spirit Shell for predictable mechanics, changing Prayer of Healing would kill our burst healing potential. I am not in favor of this change at all, please don't do this to us. :s
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It needs some kind of change. Being chained entirely to a spell with that kind of mechanic doesn't work. Believe me, I fully understand the problem presented by spirit shell.

As far as I can see, without making a completely new spell there are two options. For the first, they can increase the radius to something absurd so you never miss someone in the same fight with you (LoS and death issues still exist).

The second would be to convert it into a partial smart heal when it misses a target, basically if it will only hit 3 people in the group you are targetting, it then hits 2 more people as a smart heal outside of that group, possibly with a reduced effect and or radius.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
11/15/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Sotanaht
The second would be to convert it into a partial smart heal when it misses a target, basically if it will only hit 3 people in the group you are targetting, it then hits 2 more people as a smart heal outside of that group, possibly with a reduced effect and or radius.

Do you think this approaches a very OP healing spell? I think even with the smart heal portion being weakened, the main part of PoH would haved to be dampened as well.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
It needs some kind of change. Being chained entirely to a spell with that kind of mechanic doesn't work. Believe me, I fully understand the problem presented by spirit shell.

As far as I can see, without making a completely new spell there are two options. For the first, they can increase the radius to something absurd so you never miss someone in the same fight with you (LoS and death issues still exist).

What LOS issue?

The most reasonable change would be to smart heal one player in any group, for every player that was out of range of your initial cast.
Reply Quote
I prefer keeping it party only for many many reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/15/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Kerias

Do you think this approaches a very OP healing spell? I think even with the smart heal portion being weakened, the main part of PoH would haved to be dampened as well.

What if the smart heal only worked in a short radius, like 5-10 yards from the main target? Something that's best when you are stacked in various groups where AoE should work but disc aoe doesnt unless those groups are arranged beforehand.

What LOS issue?

The most reasonable change would be to smart heal one player in any group, for every player that was out of range of your initial cast.

That reasonable change is what I was suggesting second. Upping the radius to something absurd like say 100 yards would solve most group organization issues, but if someone dies in a group or is out of line of sight from your primary target it still fails to heal what the spell should. I think the second option is best too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I still like the party-only approach but it would be nice if we could get back the extra HoT attached to it - perhaps via some kind of glyph; that way those who didn't necessarily benefit from the direct heal would have some amount of rolling healing on them for future damage - maybe the HoT could correspond to the amount of 'overhealing' PoH does to the target.
Reply Quote
Holy gets the HoT applied via mastery, Disc gets a divine aegis bubble guaranteed. Adding another HoT would require it to heal for less up front to keep it balanced.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I don't think the solution is to fix PoH so much as fix other spells. For example:

Holy Nova (2.5% base mana, Instant) - Causes an explosion of holy light around the caster, instantly dealing an amount of Holy damage equal to 25% of the caster's current health to the caster and any hidden enemies within 15 yards. Healing equal to the total damage dealt is divided amongst all other members of the caster's party or raid below 75% health within 15 yards. (Atonement is affected by damage from this spell)

This would give Discipline another healing option for multiple targets without supplanting the utility of Prayer of Healing.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
It's really time to improve PoH targetting mechanic. Being restricted to party only feels outdated. =/

I think the 100 yd range might fix the issue though it might also cause problems since it allows you to heal five people for a lot at an obscene range (i.e. casting it at yourself while you're really far from everyone). I'm sure someone will find a way to abuse this mechanic if it ever got implemented.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
If they implemented PoH as a castable version of CoH, than that would completely obliterate the concept of "choosing your heals wisely."

It takes all of the thought out of priest healing, since we'd just be able to spam 1 spell to heal everyone.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I don't think the solution is to fix PoH so much as fix other spells.

This. PoH really doesn't need to be changed. The rest of Disc's AE toolkit needs to be addressed.
Reply Quote
Prayer of healing being party only has many many advantages, and very few disadvantages in a raiding situation.

1) It is balanced so that as long as 3 players need the healing, it is efficient, so it really isn't that punishing to use in most situations.

2) It allows us to do aoe healing in situations where other healers are constrained to single targets (think slimes before yor'shaj, purple debuff on tank, with green/red doing damage to everyone).

3) It allows disc to evenly spread spirit shell across a raid group.

Really I see no disadvantage to it. If 1 player needs healing, use an appropriate single target heal. If 2, use 2 renews or something similar. If 3 or more? Prayer of healing FTW! I've lived by that "rule of thumb" for several expansions, playing both holy and disc, and following that rule has never been why I OOM'd in a fight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/15/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Sotanaht

Since this would make it impossible to overheal with PoH (can manipulate groups to have a couple people in each in 10man) spam PoH to win on stone guard, feng, garajal, elegon, will, Imperial vizier & garalon.

Stone guard - usually cos of jasper chains people are close to each other and with overloads, jade shards, pools etc theres some pretty constant dmg.
Feng - aoe dmg everywhere usually stacked in middle or on boss
Garajal - spirits and voodoo heals deal dmg to fair few targets at same time.

yea well you get it, this would basically almost make it one spell suits healing for every occasion and is pretty cheap (13.3k for a 5target aoe heal that puts a shield is cheap)
Edited by Ferede on 11/16/2012 1:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior

That reasonable change is what I was suggesting second. Upping the radius to something absurd like say 100 yards would solve most group organization issues, but if someone dies in a group or is out of line of sight from your primary target it still fails to heal what the spell should. I think the second option is best too.

youkeepusingthatword.jpg

It sounds like you're unaware that PoH ignores LOS restrictions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
How about Prayer of Protection

Replaces PoM (and probably an increased mana cost) Places an absorb shield for x amount (equal to PoM) on the target when the shield is broken or dispelled the target is healed for 50% of the absorb amount and blah blah blah same from here on out as PoM bounces affected by PoM glyph

That should help Discs AoE a bit by being a direct 50% buff to PoM and allowing it to scale with Discs mastery.

As far as PoH I would prefer while not necessarily a smart heal but something along the lines of converting say 15-20% of its overhealing into extra DA or something, while smart healing would be nice in 25m it hurts 10m because of the control

Also Barrier is nice but it either needs a wider range or Disc needs another AoE CD while not as strong as DH or Tranq maybe something along the lines of a healing tide for ele/enh shamans or the old DH that disc used to have but on a shorter CD, because on fights like the first one in HoF a raid CD is useless if it can only hit 4/10 players for force and verb
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I would like another spell to cast besides PoH.
When 1 of my spells does ~70% of my healing on nearly every fight... there is a problem with the design of our class.

Don't make PoH a smart/raid heal. Instead give us something else to respond to raid damage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
After doing sha of fear in 25man, it would be really nice for poh to not be group based sometimes, but that would change how disc priests stacks DA and spirit shell on people
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Making it a smart raid heal would be nice, but I'm gonna have to be against it as disc is already OP as it is
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
There's too many pros and cons to either to make the change.

if it's not party locked, you can't reliably roll POH aegis as disc.

if t's party locked, you can't effectively 'raid heal' when 1 guy from each party gets hit.

How about we call it even and make it a GLYPH?

Glyph of Prayer of Healing: your Prayer of Healing is now a raid-wide smart heal, targets 5 most injured people.

That way you can glyph if when you need it, or let it stay party-locked...fight and spec depending.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]