I had no real opinion of CRZ until I leveled a fresh toon through them.
I am now officially in the "I want them to go away" camp. Merge realms if you have to, but the CRZ is not working for me.
1) Low level CRZ zones are spammed with the usual "Paying X gold for guild sigs!" messages, yet CRZ people can't sign them.
2) Mining in Outland was always a pain the butt before CRZ, but with 4 realms competing for fel iron when there are fewer nodes in all of Outland than there is seemingly of ghost iron in just the Jade Forest, you might as well give up. You're never going to get one.
3) I'm on what I would call a dying server, but I can't get a minfernal pet to save my life because the area is constantly camped by at least 3-5 CRZ people at all hours of the day (seriously, I've set my alarm to get me up at 3 am on a Sunday to check, and the place was still packed, all of them CRZ).
4) They're nothing but window dressing, they do nothing but look pretty and steal our nodes/spawns/etc. You can't trade with them, you can't interact with them in any meaningful way, all they can do is talk and make your life harder while questing.
5) More people means more griefing. I know Blizz is all giddy at the thought of "world pvp" like its a good thing, but I transferred to a PvE realm all those years ago for a reason, I hate world pvp. I enjoyed Hellfire Penn being virtually empty, because it meant I could actually quest through there. My monk just finished that area, and you know what? Twice I had to just go do something else because CRZ alliance decided it would be awesome to take over Falcon Point or other quest hubs and just wipe them out for hours at a time.
Enough is enough. If you want to let us chat with people, just let us access Trade from everywhere in the world (I have an addon that lets me listen to it no matter where I am anyway). If you want people taking our gathering nodes and kills, then turn down the spawn rate. But for the love of biscuits, enough with the CRZ. Just freaking merge realms if you have to, anything is better than this.
#4 Hit it exactly right. All you get to do is say "oh boy! more people in the world!" but you can't do anything with them aside from grouping. You can't help with items, or signing stuff, as you said, or say I wanted to be generous and give a noob some gold, can't do that either.
Merging low-pop realms and leaving the rest of us alone is the way it should have been done. My server has always been medium and it's nice because there are people but you're not overwhelmed by the population like I am now. It's too much and it's unnecessary.