Monk PvP Guide

well, ive taken a look at what monks need for PvP and the statistics and am still working with this monk.
Windwalker monk PvP is tricky but if you figure it out you can deal some damage while lasting longer. the statistics for Windwalker monk is as follows:
3% hit->3% expertise->PvP Power->Agility->PvP Resilience->Critical strike rating -> haste ->mastery. and ive noticed they do more damage when dual wielding than with Polearms/Staves. ill add more to this over time. just ask questions below and ill answer what i can.
Reply Quote
as far as talents go for PvP the better ones for Windwalker to use seem to be: Momentum,Chi Wave, Ascension, Deadly Reach, Diffuse Magic, and Invoke Xuen the White Tiger. the only decent glyphs i can see for Windwalker PvPwise currently are:
Glyph of Touch of Karma, Glyph of Zen meditation and Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick/ Glyph of Transference seems to be most helpful. Glyph of Spinning Fire Blossom makes Spinning Fire Blossom more viable as a ranged attack, however, it takes away the rooting that could help.
Reply Quote
well, those are a matter of opinion. for me, i tend to have to hit those warlocks,dks, druid, paladins, mages and priests from a range. but the rest of them just stand there and let me hit them with paralysis from melee. reason i prefer Ascension is because you can have all 5 built up and then use Risin Sun kick and then immediately hit Fists of Fury without having to use Jab or Expel Harm beforehand.
Reply Quote
yes. i am using heroic claws of gekkan and masterwork ghost forged blade. before those i used heroic ghostheart. the dual wield does so much better in pvp.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
You can set up burst with Ascension better and more often then Chi Brew.

However Chi-Brew offers more utility for situations when you just need Chi and can't hit anything or are running for your life lol.

Reach vs. Leg Sweep is completely comp dependent. Leg Sweep is better at setting up solo lock downs on healers and casters.

Reach is better for combining CCs with your partner to help build pressure and get kills. Also Reach has amazing potential when you combined it with roll and FSK. being able to roll behind a target in arena and then Paralyze soon as the roll is done without having to run up to them can be clutch. You also get the full duration that way.

I personally think Reach is better with a caster, and leg sweep better if you are running double melee.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Oh I think tiger lust is better then momentum.

We already can roll twice. So if both rolls are down you can use tiger lust to get out of a snare or root and you move 70% faster for a short time.

That gives you 3 mobility moves vs. 2 if you pick momentum and you can never get out of roots.

Momentum is good for leveling but IMO...Celerity and Tiger Lust are the two best options.
Reply Quote
yeah, Tiger's lust is useful for getting out of snares but says its a druid using entangling roots over and over...it doesnt keep you from getting CCed again.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Tiger's lust is by far the best choice for pvp for a windwalker monk you'd have to be stupid to not take it...plus its usuable on other players...so i can give it to my warrior and he can go around facerolling even harder
Reply Quote
hey, dont say its stupid to not take a talent. it means that they, in their opinion, believe something may be better for certain situations. get outta here Beer boy! lmao.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
11/01/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Primiez
Reach vs. Leg Sweep is completely comp dependent. Leg Sweep is better at setting up solo lock downs on healers and casters.

I mostly agree with this assessment, but I dislike how everyone discredits ox wave. It's an extremely potent gap closer.
Reply Quote
i actually havent tried ox wave yet. but i dont think many will because of the straight line aiming. just like unglyphed SFB.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
i will have to try using dw on my monk for pvp tonight. because of low uptime i would have thought that having a 2h would be better.
Reply Quote
i have noticed however, with the fist weapons having 1% less expertise than swords becuase of racial bonuses. so about 1,000 to 1.1k expertise is needed for fist weapons to be at expertise cap and 1,100 hit is enough to not miss with out abilities (3%). im currently only at 4.3k crit, what about everyone else?
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Martana
i will have to try using dw on my monk for pvp tonight. because of low uptime i would have thought that having a 2h would be better.

well, with dual wielding your striking 2 times in the amount of time a stave/polearm hits once. i used both and got higher dps off the dual wielding. but that may too be a matter of opinion, but recount doesnt lie too often.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
11/01/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Krazemonk
well, with dual wielding your striking 2 times in the amount of time a stave/polearm hits once.

actually this is not true

11/01/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Krazemonk
but recount doesnt lie too often.

no, but it can be a poor source of information regardless and without showing your documentation, it's difficult to place any value on what you said.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Kerrath
well, with dual wielding your striking 2 times in the amount of time a stave/polearm hits once.

actually this is not true

but recount doesnt lie too often.

no, but it can be a poor source of information regardless and without showing your documentation, it's difficult to place any value on what you said.

in that case, go get a couple weapons to dual wield, then find a stave/polearm make your way to the dummies and try it out to see which is better for you. im just making suggestions in this thread bro.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Two weapons = two enchants/or 1 enchant+weapon chain. It's a bit higher dps than 2h right now. I kinda hope they change it somehow, I dig the staves, but highly doubt it'll happen.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
http://www.simulationcraft.org/505/Raid_T14H.html

There's a chart that'll show dual wielding simming higher than 2h, if that helps satisfy some people.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]