A R1 Rogue's View on the State of Rogues

90 Night Elf Rogue
11/09/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Timat
khuna

Who?

something like a 2200 rated rogue in arenas. Beliueve he's over on the EU side
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
You forgot to mention that you cant bait(?) intimidating shout with Cloak.

Very good post.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Posted by Solicited
Shuriken toss not applying poisons on PTR

Wait....what?

You sure this is not a bug...cause....wow

3 hours ago

I dont think I would take ST if they remove the poison portion. I love it now but that would kill it in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
rouges are overpowdered
Reply Quote
Very good post but I would prefer Prep baseline over Shadowstep.

Active R1 Rogue you are now my Rogue God.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
11/09/2012 05:31 AMPosted by Solicited
Evasion was nerfed to a 3 minute cooldown with Mists of Pandaria, and now provides only a 50% dodge chance.

Also keep in mind that our basline dodge got bumped down to ~15%. No bueno.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Posted by Timat

khuna

Who?

11/09/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Nanaya

why do people feel the need to open their mouths when they have no clue what they're talking about?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Posted by Timat

khuna

Who?

11/09/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Nanaya

why do people feel the need to open their mouths when they have no clue what they're talking about?

/shrug seen him once. I'm just not into watching other people play games when I can play and get better myself.
Edited by Nanaya on 11/9/2012 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
11/09/2012 05:44 AMPosted by Alacast
it would also correct most of the PVE issues as well.

Explain to me the issues we're having with PvE now?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
it would also correct most of the PVE issues as well.

some rogues are having a lack of this thing called "fun" because of a damage spread that's uninteresting and abilities that are completely useless in PvE. Also, I'm pretty sure rogues have the hardest time soloing rare mobs in MoP (they're not hard, but we have it hardest) speaking to a lack of soloing capability.
Edited by Nanaya on 11/9/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Agree with everything in this thread. (Mostly)

*Swoosh*
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
11/09/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Nanaya

some rogues are having a lack of this thing called "fun" because of a damage spread that's uninteresting and abilities that are completely useless in PvE. Also, I'm pretty sure rogues have the hardest time soloing rare mobs in MoP (they're not hard, but we have it hardest) speaking to a lack of soloing capability.

This. Oh this. I die every time yet I've seen mages and spriests not have any issue.

Great post. New to the pvp side of rogues, so much of it is hard to understand, but the general issues are evident to all playstyles.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
11/09/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Nanaya

There will always be abilities that are more or less desired for pve than pvp and vice versa. Smoke Bomb is a great example of this. That can't be helped.

"Uninteresting damage spread" = Unavoidable lack of haste at the beginning of the expansion. We will still see the counter argument of "Combat is so boring because all you do is spam SS all day" near the end of mop.

The last argument of it being harder to solo, that I will take as a legitimate problem. I have to cling to life with leeching poison Shivs on cooldown, and a good amount of Kidney shots, to keep myself alive for rares, and I did end up losing a rare kill in the Vale yesterday to a mage that killed me, then let the rare reset and almost downed him before I got back to my corpse.

But thats more of a "those classes still need to be nerfed down to appropriate levels" issue, which we should be seeing in 5.1.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
"Uninteresting damage spread" = Unavoidable lack of haste at the beginning of the expansion. We will still see the counter argument of "Combat is so boring because all you do is spam SS all day" near the end of mop.

ambush hits for 10k in pvp on a level 75 target, 50k max in PvE

The issue is more like having unsatisfying buttons to press, rather than not enough (except in Mut's case)
It doesn't help that the abilities never crit, resulting in only rarely seeing when you do good damage, making the abilities feel less satisfying. Honestly, I'd be bored to death if backstab didn't have its' sound effect.

The last argument of it being harder to solo, that I will take as a legitimate problem. I have to cling to life with leeching poison Shivs on cooldown, and a good amount of Kidney shots, to keep myself alive for rares, and I did end up losing a rare kill in the Vale yesterday to a mage that killed me, then let the rare reset and almost downed him before I got back to my corpse.

Just a tip to help make it easier, Gouge and dirty tricks are amazing on rares. 1 minute to bandage and gouge is an impromptu interrupt that if timed correctly (latency forgiving) can interrupt abilities like monks' spinning crane kick or Hozen's going bananas attacks before they can do anything, but after the initial cast is finished.

Rogues do have the absolute lowest survivability of any class, though, which is part of the reason it's so tough.
Edited by Nanaya on 11/9/2012 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Gladiator rogue here. With multiple glad titles among my accounts on rogues

To the "remove prep or remove step from tree" debate.
Honestly prep/step is the reason blizz has screwed us over in CDs lately. A lot of the increased CDs are renewed with Prep so blizz wanted to extend the Cds to account for using them twice in a short period. Even though prep is a talent CHOICE and not baseline

Logically I would rather see Step removed from the tree to allow for improvement upon it through some talents to add some flavor, but as previously stated, if we lose step from the tree we will definently pick prep.

My counter arguement.
Remove both prep and step from the tree. Remove prep from the game and make step baseline. lower CDs to account for the removal of prep from the game (Vanish 1-2 min/cloak 1 min/evasion 1-2 min/and lower step CD to 20 seconds).

After this, add 2 new abilities to the mobility tree to add some flavor to step.
Maybe something along the lines of
A. "Your shadowstep now has two seperate Cds, one for when stepping to friendlies and one for stepping to foes. " (This would still be significantly less mobility than charge/safeguard).
B. "The cooldown on shadowstep is reduced to 14 seconds and increases the damage of your next offensive finisher by 25%"
C. Then some tweaks with BoS to you know... make it even a choice (or u could remove it, that would be just as cool)

there, now we have done a significant amount to increase rogue viability/controll with just a quick overhaul of one talent tree.

As to the passive damage issue

In PVE uptime is significantly higher than PVP, so white/passive damage is extremely high damage, however in PVP when victories are built around burst opportunities and Cd based CC chains, passive damage doesnt cut it. This would require some number tweaking on blizz to increase CP generator damage for sub, then mutilate/envenom damage for assassination. Then reduce the white and poison damage of sub, and reduce assassinations white damage again.

Other tweaks could be:
-Recup and SnD rolled into one buff, seriously aint nobody got time for dat! And recup is a straight up waste of combo points except when there is literally nothing else to use the points on.
-VW for assasination can again benefit from rupture and garrote together, this would give them more burst and on demand damage without seriously buffing pve DPS.
-Deadly throw made baseline again with the talent adding the interupt and some sort of redirect effect that automatically applies to DT so we can actually utilize the CP and dont get juked when a healer hears the redirect sound.
-A change to shadow blades to account for significantly reduced passive damage, so that rogue burst doesnt get marginalized further.

This is all i have atm, tried to keep as much "Were not as OP as warrior's" out as I could.
Edited by Zimax on 11/9/2012 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Very good thread.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Well written and good job OP.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Great post.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Hopefully this doesn't fall on deaf ears, but I won't get my hopes up. Ever since MoP hit the devs seem like complete mongoloids, especially GC. Would it be too much to ask to put people in charge of class balance who actually play the game on an above average level?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Well put together. Hopefully this doesn't fall with the other thousands of posts regarding Rogue issues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]