Soldiers of Pandaria : 5.1.0 Arms PvE Guide

90 Orc Warrior
Nice revisions since the last time I looked at the original post
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Glad to see this is back. Hope it gets stickied so it doesn't vanish again due to a caps-post-ban.

Anyway, great work on the guide. I'm glad to see there are still people truckin' along with Arms.
Edited by Secondwind on 11/13/2012 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Thank you Squirrel and Second!

Yeah I'm definitely dissappointed about the trinket situation come 5.1. Even after the nerf Relic of Xuen will be only very very slightly behind Heroic Lei Shin's, but still ahead of Heroic Darkmist. I'm also dreading that I will have to do dailies to get the new best trinket on the block xD I guess I learned my lesson. When in doubt, don't spend money on DM trinkets lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Crappy guide, sticky request denied.

Edit: JKING! Sticky requested. <3
Edited by Blackfreid on 11/13/2012 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Guess i dont have to be too disappointed. I probaly wont be getting Heroic lei shins for a long time if ever so relic of xuen is there to stay for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Trinkets not nerfed, ghostcrawler has a tweety out, was datamining error.

And yay this newb has his guide back ! :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yeah I just read about the trinket thing. Phew. Close call.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I better start saving up 1500 jp with my luck i'm never getting that 2h sword from mr. ima-gfxlag-youtodeath Elegon, atleast then i'll have a 471 weapon lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Is it wrong that I am getting angry this has not been stickied yet?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/14/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Punchee

Well to be fair it was removed just recently all together because of my ban, so we will have to start all over on that again. Usually there's a couple reasons threads do not receive stickies however. A) It's too late into content and Blizz is not looking to sticky anything for a while. B) The information is incomplete, inaccurate or insufficient in their opinion and not worthy of a sticky. C) My account has too many black stains on it's past and they don't want to sicky anything I post. I've been banned from the forums about 5 or 6 times in total, either because of obscene language or offensive behaviour so...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
That just means its up to us to keep it on the front page is all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
So I have been trying to figure out when to use heroic strike. The guide mentions using it with a least one stack of TFB, but I have read elsewhere that you should only use heroic strike at 2 stacks of the buff, if it will fall off, otherwise try and get as close to 5 stacks as possible.

I know anecdotal evidence is frowned upon, but I saw better results when I used that method.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Well my logic for recommending people to use HS instead of Slam with 1 stack is because it hits slightly harder and has a better DPR than Slam with only 1 stack. It also leaves you with an empty GCD that you can get really creative with filling. I usually use Battle Shout or Heroic Throw, but sometimes just continue with a Slam too if I have the Rage. Or if you did proc a third OP it will usually use up both stacks on the one HS anyway.

The napkin math for comparason is :

Slam - 190% WD / 30 = 6.3 WD per Rage.
HS w/ 1 stack - 220% WD / 30 = 7.3 WD per Rage.

So it really comes down to the question if the extra weapon damage makes up for the missing bonus damage. The bonus damage on Slam is about 3k I think and the bonus damage on HS is about 500. After buffs and flasks even with a 463 weapon your average weapon damage is somewhere around 18k.

Slam - (18000 * 1.9) + 3000 = 37200.
HS - (18000 * 2.2) + 1000 (the bonus damage benefits from TfB as well) = 40600.

This is obviously not completely accurate because it's missing ALOT of buffs and other factors but it makes my point. Generally a difference like this is only further exaggerated after you add scale factors.

I have also tried the technique where you save up your stacks for as long as possible trying to get all 5 of them and quite honestly you very very rarely will get even 4 stacks let alone 5, at least in my experience. After running a couple tests both ways on a dummy I got better results if I used my stacks immediately.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
So, Glyph of Rude interruption is actually rather nice in fights that demand a lot of interrupting (i.e. Spirit Kings).

The 6% damage buff has a duration of 20 seconds, while the cooldown of Pummel is 15 seconds.

I guess my question is: If you Pummel again with 5 more seconds left on the buff, does the buff get refreshed or does it stack another 6% damage buff? Or should we just wait for the buff to end before interrupting with Pummel again? With no apparent ICD, this is actually a curious question to ask, with benefits to consider if we can get a concrete answer.

Time to start tracking this buff on Need to Know!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Your answer is: Pummel for your raid.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
So, Glyph of Rude interruption is actually rather nice in fights that demand a lot of interrupting (i.e. Spirit Kings).

The 6% damage buff has a duration of 20 seconds, while the cooldown of Pummel is 15 seconds.

I guess my question is: If you Pummel again with 5 more seconds left on the buff, does the buff get refreshed or does it stack another 6% damage buff? Or should we just wait for the buff to end before interrupting with Pummel again? With no apparent ICD, this is actually a curious question to ask, with benefits to consider if we can get a concrete answer.

Time to start tracking this buff on Need to Know!

It just refreshes the buff to 20 seconds. You don't need to wait for it to fall off because either way you will have 100% uptime because Pummel is only a 15 second cooldown and off the GCD. And yes I quite enjoy that glyph of Spirit Kings as well. It's the only fight I've done so far though where I've found it useful unfortunately. I prefer Resonating Power and Death from Above on Mel'jarak instead of Rude Intteruption. The Battle-Menders only cast Mending like once every 30 seconds anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
11/14/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Punchee

Think of the bright side, if this is anything like my PvP thread in Cata you only have to wait until May 2013 (6 months) before it gets stickied.

Oh wait... that wasn't terribly bright of a side was it?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
So anyone know for sure the details of how Sweeping Strikes works?

Like I know you have two enemies, use sweeping strikes, make an attack, it hits both enemies. But what happens with it when you use an AoE? To my understanding it still procs, but only once. So if you have 3 enemies and sweeping strikes-> whirlwind, your whirlwind will hit 3 enemies, plus proc 1 sweeping strikes on one of the enemies. Am I understanding this right, or am I getting something wrong? If I am getting it right, is there any way to know which enemy the sweeping strike will hit?

Also will sweeping strikes copy white hits as well, or just special attacks?
Edited by Secondwind on 11/15/2012 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yes Sweeping Strikes will copy all melee attacks including white hits and SoO procs. It does not copy things such as Dragon Roar. Yes you are correct on how it functions for AoE. To my knowledge it tends to hit the next closest target. It also tends to have a pretty small range and occassionally wierd positioning requirements, as I found out on Garalon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]