Hunter, Lock, Or Rogue?

90 Blood Elf Monk
I want to level a new class, the three classes I don't have are a hunter, lock or rogue. I play mostly tanks and healers. I want a dps that's semi easy, not boring though,and doesn't do crap dps. :) What would be the best? Any advice is welcome! Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hunter: Low level is alot of fun because your pet is your friend and you can ignore kiting because your pet holds the mob and you can just turrent them down, but at high end they are feeling poor on the damage, they do alot of burst but their sustained damage is low to none.

Rouge: Don't know enough but I do know they're fun to pvp/quest with, with mop pvp is harder, but questing is fun because you get to stealth around mobs you don't need and kill the ones you do.

Lock: Destro is BOOM BOOM NEVER RUN OUT OF MANA...thats how my experience so far has been (72). Also they are pretty strong on the top end and each spec feels different from any other class(for me at least)

I'd say you'd want warlock but choose the one that's funner for you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I'm stuck between lock and hunter ... :/
Edited by Aisho on 11/14/2012 4:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Hunters are getting nerfed, locks are getting nerfed, go with rouge.

Unless they are getting nerfed too and I just didn't notice.

But seriously, if you're looking for "semi easy" dps a hunter is the simplest out of those three.
Edited by Malagon on 11/14/2012 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Rogues are nerfed.

Pathetic in pvp.

Mediocre in pve (until 5.2 probably when gear scaling sets in)
Reply Quote
56 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/14/2012 05:48 PMPosted by Ilyrria

They're good in PvE.
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
After watching my favorite class go an entire expansion unfinished I recommend not going with a Hunter.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
The endgame hunter rotation is a frikken nightmare. The rogue rotation is simpler with a bit of spice and their PvE damage is good. Dunno about locks.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
When asking about new toons, why do the other people posting always assume he's talking about PvP only. Now, not saying he's asking for PvP since he didn't say but people always assume it's PvP talk.

Nerfs to warlock doesn't effect warlocks PvE really

Rogue: Good PvE, SOOOOOOO BAD in PvP right now, they seriously need a PvP buff.
Hunters: PvP BM is tops and PvE hunters are pretty bad
Warlock: Dont know yet, but people say they're good in PvP (meh) but Affliction is good for PvE (raids)
Edited by Jlock on 11/14/2012 10:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Yeah, i picked rogue. I don't think ill be raiding anytime on it. I wont be pvping, mostly just pve. Thanks guys for all your advice/comments.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

They're good in PvE.

Mages and Locks are good in PvE.
Rogues are passable if you don't have that option.
Edited by Kanoi on 11/15/2012 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Hunters suck in PVP. There was a bug that made them nice, but brought on nerfs, then they found the bug and didn't revert the nerfs. Warriors can kill people in 1-3 globals, but no nerfs.

None of the hunter's specs are in the top half of DPS in PVE.

All of the hunter's talents/spells are halfbaked options of other classes.

Just stay away from the hunter. It's just not worth the pain, anguish, and frustration. You always start out in the hole and if you somehow end up doing your job just decently, the whiners here will cry for nerfs...and Blizzard will deliver.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Rogues are fun to level. Stealth/sap/blind in questing is awesome, and if you are on a pvp server you can cloak/vanish out of most gank attempts. If you are planning to just level an alt, this is a pretty good choice. If you are looking to switch mains ... the class has been largely ignored since BC and I don't see Blizz taking a look at them this time around either.

Haven't played my hunter since BC.

My lock was my main 7 1/2 years ago. Got him to 80 in LK, but just started leveling him again. Holy crap it's fun. Affliction is a burst spec now ... wha happened???
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Warlock.

Of the three classes listed, Warlocks got the best rework for MoP

Three distinctly different trees which all perform(to my knowledge) relatively well.

Effective in PvP

Ranged dps

Cool/ interesting utility and spells.

Compare this to hunters, who generally are abysmal in PvP(currently riding BM's OPness, which happens every so often but never lasts) and somewhat bland and mediocre in PvE depending on your favorite spec.

Compare this to rogues who are currently effective in pve, but terrible in pvp, generally bland in either aspect of the game, with poorly designed talent tree.

The endgame hunter rotation is a frikken nightmare. The rogue rotation is simpler with a bit of spice and their PvE damage is good. Dunno about locks.

Not really.
Reply Quote
95 Pandaren Shaman
11/15/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Kanoi

They're good in PvE.

Mages and Locks are good in PvE.
Rogues are passable if you don't have that option.

actually, rogues are overall #1 PVE right now.
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25N/all/14/60/default/
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10N/all/14/60/default/
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/all/14/60/default/
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/all/14/60/default/
Reply Quote
hunter PVP = frustration for $15/month.
Reply Quote
15 Human Priest
11/15/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Aisho
Yeah, i picked rogue. I don't think ill be raiding anytime on it. I wont be pvping, mostly just pve. Thanks guys for all your advice/comments.

Since you'll be using the Rogue for PvE I think you'll enjoy it, especially if you enjoy melee DPS. Plan on long ramp up times and excessive passive damage (depending on spec passive damage can be 70% of your total), but you'll have sufficient control and mobility for PvE encounters.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Rogues are lame nowdays. I don't mean as in weak, that's easilly fixable and we're probably going to be considered OPed by the end of the expansion. The problem is the mechanics are the same old, only now they're nerfed and crippled, so they're way more borringthan before.

I'm not sure about hunters.

Locks were completelly revamped and they're all sorts of fun. All the specs are really cool.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
honestly demo lock is the funnest spec in the game, and brings decent dps
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
From a PVE only view point

I main a Hunter and my only alt (at 90) is a lock (11 ilvls behind). I work my !@# off dps'n on my hunter and then come on and smash my hunters numbers with my lock with a relaxed and sloppy priority rotation.

I like my hunter much more than my lock but It is heart breaking to play and I'm never proud of my performance anymore. I don't know enough to say what it needs to fix hunters.

As for rogues, well I don't play one but man, they can put out the raid dps in Huge numbers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]