I want to learn to tank

100 Pandaren Monk
Whats a good tank for a beginner I thought DK maybe or pally because I have a pally at 85 and DK of course start at 55 and I dont want to lvl from 1 honestly.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
You have a 90 Monk apparently...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Leveling a tank from 1 will teach you a great deal about handling instance groups.

Warrior is always my recommendation.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
10/29/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Badburyegg

I hear they are pretty hard for a beginner
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

I hear they are pretty hard for a beginner

This was my first tank, back then they were "hard". My level 50 BrM reminds me of old Unholy tanking.

Jump into some normal level MoP dungeons or heroic Cata dungeons and give it a shot. Maybe try to solo some old dungeons yourself to get the rotation down.

EDIT: if you have the cash, buy the crafted PvP gear, it'll get you through normal modes and geared for heroic tanking.
Edited by Badburyegg on 10/29/2012 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
DK (if you are already familiar with the resource system) or Pally are good to learn on.

Since they added Active Mitigation to all tanks they are all somewhat complicated to play but none should be overwhelming.

I would recommend against leveling a druid as a tank. I love my druid tank but they learn their skills in a weird order and there are some really bad sections of the leveling grind where you just don't have much to do.

When you are working to learn tanking make sure you don't only focus on the mechanics of the class you are playing. Awareness of your surrounding, the healers mana, where is the fire, etc. is very important. In my opinion awareness is the most important quality of a good tank.

Also if you level all the way up from one you will probably not be traditionally "tanking" until about level 40 or even 50. In low level dungeons DPS can (and will) pull their own mobs and survive just fine.
Edited by Taldorius on 10/29/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
Another thing that might help. Is PvP. If you feel your situation awareness isn't up there, and it's something you really want to improve on, it may help you a lot. Since you constantly have to be aware of your surroundings.

And if your already an avid PvPer, then tanking is a breeze, it just boils down to knowing the encounter and knowing what to do. Class becomes irrelevant really, and knowledge on what to do and when to do is the key.
Edited by Orcanys on 10/29/2012 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Do you like mobility? Choose a warrior. Want something with a simpler "rotation"? Go Paladin. Want to solo stuff? Go Death Knight. Want a class that can be a healer, ranged DPS, melee DPS, and a tank? Play a Druid. What class you play isn't important. What really matters is your situational awareness, knowing the encounter and its mechanics, and executing tanking basics like positioning.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
I see no reason not to learn on your Monk. Whatever time you may save by learning an 'easier' tank class will be long-since lost by having to level a new character from 1 to 90.

Before you sink days of your free time into a whole new character, consider buying a crafted set of level 450 blue tank gear from the auction houses, respec to Brewmaster, and start doing your daily quests in tank-mode. Check out a class guide to learn the basic spec and rotation, and then just start practicing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I would recommend against a druid. They're boring; yes that's my opinion, but for the class that does everything, it doesn't do much in a fun way. Tanking is by far their worst role IMO.

Warriors I hear are the most fun, but like someone else mentioned about druids, they get their abilities in a weird order that make Rage (both's resource) feel really clunky till nearly max level.

Can't comment on monk. But you already have one at 90 so why not give that a swing. I hear they're a hoot.

Pally are pretty cool, they get tons of survival cd's, and a large selection of attack options even if their basic rotation is fairly short.

Obviously I recommend a DK. You're looking at about 3-4 abilities that deal damage for 80% of the fight (though there are many many more), which lets you concentrate on other things if that's your pacing. You get an a$$-ton of survival cd's, and self heals which makes people think you're a lot better than you actually are. Plus you start at 55, so you're already half-way there if you hate leveling.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I've been learning tanking on a bear. It's a bit... slow, but rewarding once you figure it out. Haven't ~really~ messed with him from a dungeon standpoint since Mists dropped, though, so he might be really different now. But a bear's fun if you can keep an eye on rage (which is my main problem, I think, but I digress).

Monk tanking, though my guy isn't high enough to run a dungeon yet, looks like it'll be barrels of fun to figure out and learn. Haven't tried it on my Pally or my Warrior, but I'm not confident with them at all outside of DPS (and that's shaky at best).

Your milage may vary, of course. I suggest leveling one from scratch, but I wouldn't be confident in picking up a spec I haven't used at all at max level. Once again, ymmv.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You should be able to easily learn to tank with your 85 paladin. Just practice the rotation on a target dummy for about 5 - 10 mins before you que up for your first dungeon. honesty, you should be able to jump in to mop normals, assuming you have already done them as either a dps or healer.

pally is pretty easy to tank with, use avengers shield/judgement to pull a group of mobs. Try to either stack the mobs on one of the caster mobs, or hit the caster with avengers shield. Avenger shield will silence the caster for a few seconds, so he will run to you before casting again. Your goal is to try and tank all the mobs in one spot.

After the pull, its really easy. Hit hammer of the righteous on cool down if your tanking a group, or hit crusader strike if there is only one mob. Hit judgement on CD, and try to throw in avengers shield, holy wrath, and consecration in whenever possible. It doesn't really matter when you use those though.

when you have 3-5 holy power, use shield of the righteous, it will do damage, and give you a short damage reduction buff. If you have low health, use word of glory to heal yourself instead. But you should rarely have to use that in a normal dungeon.

After a while, everything will become 2nd nature.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
ok so i narrowed it down to either a dk and monk only reason being is I dont really like the sword and shield thing I prefer just either the one sword or staff.any good guide for beginner DK?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The guide from the DK forums is good.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6232223931

If you want something a bit more beginnerish but with not as good info check out the guide at Icy Veins.

http://www.icy-veins.com/blood-death-knight-wow-pve-tank-guide
Edited by Taldorius on 10/30/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
I'm not sure if this is counted as necroing or not since it's only a month old, but if it is I apologise.

I want to learn to tank, I'm specced as Arms at the moment, and I want to second spec prot, but I've never even practiced warrior tanking.
Would I be best off getting a good 1h and decent shield and soloing Cata Heroics for practice until I think I'm good enough for dungeons? Cos I don't want to level a new toon until this is fully geared and gemmed, but I'd like to pick up tanking. I do have an idea of the mechanics of tanking because I was a prot pally on my first toon, but is there anything I could do to learn on this toon? Any tips?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Just try to do some dailies as a tank, if you think you get it then specific que for the Stormstout Brewery and Temple of the Jade Serpent (The two lowest lvl/easiest dungeons).

After you understand how to tank, go ahead and jump into heroics, it will be the same thing but bigger numbers.

The best tip I can give you is to tell your group that you are new, and try to learn when to block and barrier, its not simply block for melee and barrier for magic.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
11/30/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Goonart
I want to learn to tank, I'm specced as Arms at the moment, and I want to second spec prot, but I've never even practiced warrior tanking.

I just did this with a guildie. We started in MoP normals, jumped into a few heroics. It was fun.

If you can find a healer that is willing to help you through the learning curve, that works well. It helps if you bring along a tank that can dps and give pointers. In our case we had a hunter alt of another tank teaching our new monk tank on vent.

I would not start another character as you are not learning tanking until you reach the 80s.

I would do it in pandaland so your drops are useful.

At least get some pointers for key binds and rotations from another prot warrior. Getting a feel for how your AM works is important.

IMO, you should be fine with that toon in Panda Normals, but with your current gear plus a shield you will need a better than average healer, not an super healer, just not a noob.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Can say from a prespective of a monk.

Shuffle. Shuffle. Shuffle.

Use abilities accordingly, which pretty much goes for all tanks.

Yes I've tanked on every class. I'm loving the monk a lot. Getting this and my prot warrior going for right now. The DK is lvl 89.

In terms of the DK, if you're good at Rune Tetris and my dear god don't mind spamming DS as mitigation, then DK is pretty nice.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Don't do it. It's a trap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]